NYU vs. Michigan Research

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
boosk

NYU vs. Michigan Research

Postby boosk » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm just looking for other sources outside of TLS to look for info on this subject. I've searched through the 5 or so threads here on the topic (only 1 or 2 of which were substantive).

I also wanted to ask users' opinion of which school's degree has more portability - which school will allow me to work in the most most markets possible after graduation?

Thanks

pupperoni

Re: NYU vs. Michigan Research

Postby pupperoni » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:56 pm

outside of HYS, you will need to rely on your ties to the market rather than the name value of your school to get you into the regions you want to work in except for the regions in which your school already does well in.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:46 pm

^ some truth to this but exaggerated IMO

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:44 pm

You're going to have to choose where you work, probably, before your 2L year. Where do you want to work? I don't know what the value is in thinking about which school will give you access to a greater *quantity* of job markets, when each school will be generally comparable (in that you can get anywhere in the U.S. with the degree, if you have ties), and will simply have slight strengths placing in different areas.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:56 pm

Both schools are well respected nationwide. Michigan tends to place more outside of NYC but this is probably due to a geographically diverse student body; going to Michigan in of itself is not sufficient to land you a job in a market you have never lived in. NYC has an edge in NYC biglaw placement, how much I'm not sure.

But....

Blue > Purple.

pupperoni

Postby pupperoni » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:04 pm

yeah what i said was slightly exaggerated but i wanted OP to get the point. without ties or really good grades, it is not as marketable as many of the prestige obsessed TLSers think.

boosk

Postby boosk » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:10 pm

okay, what are the definitions of "ties" to a market? having lived there? having professional connections there? having a step-uncle there that you visited once?

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:44 pm

Do you literally mean "anywhere in the country?"

Either of those schools should be able to get you to a major legal market--NY, Chicago, California, DC--and you don't necessarily need ties. I think once you've been working awhile the ties thing should become a little less important, no? It's just hard to believe being from NY and going to NYU relegates you to working in the state the rest of your life. If you have a good answer as to why you want to move someplace interviewers should believe you.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:22 pm

I agree with what the earlier poster said about picking a market now and then going with the school that gives you the best chance with that market. If you are really unsure, and NYC isn't toward the top of the list, then make your decision based on other factors like cost and fit.

Knowing nothing about you, I'd say U of M would open up Detroit, the Midwest, and maybe Chicago a little more. If you are from the Midwest then it will only help you for MI. I hear U Mich is particularly good on the west coast but you need ties or great grades from either school with so it won't be super helpful.

Potentially, a more spread out alumni base might help you a bit (but it probably won't) but that will only come into play if you are grasping at straws or if you want to work some where you don't have ties to and there is no way to get them. It might be helpful later in life if you are moving or something but the first job is what you should care about.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 pm

boosk wrote:okay, what are the definitions of "ties" to a market? having lived there? having professional connections there? having a step-uncle there that you visited once?

The first two would be fine. I mean, it's an art, not a science. The issue is: when you go to interview in Random City X, and they look at your resume and say, "You go to NYU/Michigan and went to Y State for undergrad, why do you want to work here?" you need to have an answer that is convincing. If you say, "My step-uncle lives here," they are going to think you're a weirdo who is lying and question your motives for interviewing there. At the same time, I know people at NYU who ended up with big law offers in cities where they didn't really have ties, but even then they could articulate some coherent reasons for wanting to be in the city, and they are extremely charming people and/or had really good grades or backgrounds. It's ultimately a human relations issue; are you going to be a compelling candidate for a firm, when they can make 15 or 20 job offers and have hundreds of applicants (yes, even ones from T10 schools)?

When I say this, I mean to be helpful, not harsh: your attitude about opening up as many geographic regions as possible is exactly the attitude that turns off firms from hiring people who haven't shown a commitment to being in their location. San Francisco firms don't want to hire someone who says they've never lived there but they hear the food is great and they like fog, because they don't believe that person is going to want to stick around more than a year or two, which loses them money. Based on the very limited information you've provided, I think you need to focus on more affirmative ways of thinking: Where do I want to work? (even if it's 3 or 4 cities), instead of, Which school will let me work wherever I want?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”