Emory (some $) vs. UF Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Emory vs UF

Emory
24%
UF
76%

Total votes: 17

rcrdriv

New

Emory (some $) vs. UF

Post by rcrdriv » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:33 am

Hate to resurrect a thread, but some things in my life have changed recently and rather dramatically. COA is now negligible between the two schools. I have been leaning UF lately but I feel that I may be missing out on some opportunity by not attending Emory. From what I understand Emory has more of an ability than UF to open up corporate related jobs and not just doing litigation or shit law. I've toured both, enjoyed both, but not sure which would be better in the long run. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

So I just recently got into Emory, which changes my cycle quite a bit. I am a FL resident, who was originally set on UF. However, with the recent Emory acceptance and $ to make the cost somewhat competitive with UF (cost at Emory is still slightly higher), I'm rethinking where I should end up.

I'm open to workin outside FL and I feel like Emory gives me a better chance of landing employment if FL firms don't work out. Am I completely crazy for thinking about Emory with the recent downgrade in rankings and threads I've seen on here regarding Emory's employment numbers? I would argue that UF's prospects aren't substantially different than Emory's in Florida and certainly weaker outside of the state.
Last edited by rcrdriv on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Emory (some $) vs. UF

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:36 am

Any chance of negotiating with UF?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:37 am

What is your total CoA at each school?

Also definitely agree with Romo, if you can negotiate with UF you should.

rcrdriv

New

Post by rcrdriv » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:41 am

romothesavior wrote:Any chance of negotiating with UF?
I might be able to get something from them. I talked to a buddy of mine that is a 2L there and he mentioned that UF is pretty tight with money for residents since they are already one of the cheapest in the state. He said if they do show me any kind of $$ it most likely won't be much.

Total CoA for each (est):

Emory: 120k
UF: 90k

Edit: Emory will probably be a little more now that I think about it but it all depends how I live in ATL.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:44 am

Neither is a good option at that price tag. I go to a peer school of Emory and am taking out about 90k, and it was a gamble. I don't really recommend either option, but between the two UF is a much better choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rcrdriv

New

Post by rcrdriv » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:47 am

romothesavior wrote:Neither is a good option at that price tag. I go to a peer school of Emory and am taking out about 90k, and it was a gamble. I don't really recommend either option, but between the two UF is a much better choice.
I'm probably only looking at taking loans for tuition. I will most likely get help from family for COL.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 pm

rcrdriv wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Neither is a good option at that price tag. I go to a peer school of Emory and am taking out about 90k, and it was a gamble. I don't really recommend either option, but between the two UF is a much better choice.
I'm probably only looking at taking loans for tuition. I will most likely get help from family for COL.
So Emory would put you in $60k-ish debt and UF would put you in $40-50k-ish debt? I think at that point it depends but both become pretty decent options. I don't know how well Emory compares with UF in FL. If you're really set on FL I'd probably go UF, but if you might want to go elsewhere I'd take Emory.

$90k debt at UF would not be ideal, but I don't think it's awful if you want to be a lawyer in FL. You could feasibly pay that back in 10 years even on a mediocre salary that starts in the 40-50k range. Granted over 30% of UF's class (and likely a similar percentage of Emory's) don't get full time jobs as lawyers. Though I think if you're talking closer to $50k debt then it's not that risky.

rcrdriv

New

Post by rcrdriv » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:51 pm

So I guess Emory really is that bad. Comparing the admit, denial thread between UF and Emory there is a clear difference in interest. UF is sitting at 25pgs compared to Emory's 10 (rounded). Tough to imagine UF is that much better though. When I tell people about Emory, even folks that go to UF, they seem impressed. But there is something to be said about the collective intelligence of TLS, I should heed lol.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 pm

rcrdriv wrote:So I guess Emory really is that bad. Comparing the admit, denial thread between UF and Emory there is a clear difference in interest. UF is sitting at 25pgs compared to Emory's 10 (rounded). Tough to imagine UF is that much better though. When I tell people about Emory, even folks that go to UF, they seem impressed. But there is something to be said about the collective intelligence of TLS, I should heed lol.
People I have talked to (I live in Atlanta) that went to Emory recently all wish they had gone to Georgia or GA state (if you're a resident, obviously) because they're so much cheaper and Emory's job placement doesn't justify the giant leap in tuiton.

Also the Atlanta market is fucking garbage currently. I work for a V50 here as a non-attorney and we only hired 7 SA's last year. Good luck with that, everyone.
Last edited by flem on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Ask Emory to match U of Florida's COA, then decide.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm going to UF for a little under 90k and it makes me sick sometimes. It's an absolutely random number, but it's about the highest I would recommend someone taking out for the school.

+1 on trying to negotiate with UF

rcrdriv

New

Post by rcrdriv » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:17 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I'm going to UF for a little under 90k and it makes me sick sometimes. It's an absolutely random number, but it's about the highest I would recommend someone taking out for the school.

+1 on trying to negotiate with UF
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely try and talk to UF. My goal is to keep loans, from any school, below the 100k threshold. As long as I do that I can see debt being somewhat manageable.

rcrdriv

New

Post by rcrdriv » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Hate to resurrect a thread, but some things in my life have changed recently and rather dramatically. COA is now negligible between the two schools. I have been leaning UF lately but I feel that I may be missing out on some opportunity by not attending Emory. From what I understand Emory has more of an ability than UF to open up corporate related jobs and not just doing litigation or shit law. I've toured both, enjoyed both, but not sure which would be better in the long run. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”