A hard decision

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

A hard decision

Postby justicefishy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 am

So, given the news I got today, decisions about law school have gotten a lot harder. I am into both Penn and UVA, no $ at either, and both look really good. There's no specific legal path I'm interested in (though Penn's looks great) and I'm mostly indifferent as to whether or not I live in a city. Which has better job prospects and clerkship potential, and which school would you advise for a better quality of life?

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 am

Penn, unless you like mega-college towns and softball

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 am

They are peer schools.

QoL is a personal decision.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby justicefishy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:44 am

Probably. Thanks. :D

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:19 pm

bk1 wrote:They are peer schools.

QoL is a personal decision.

Real Madrid
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 12:21 am

Re: A hard decision

Postby Real Madrid » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Penn.

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby barneytrouble » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm

UVA

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby iamrobk » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:18 pm

Penn, unless you absolutely don't want NYC in any circumstance.

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18424
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm

iamrobk wrote:Penn, unless you absolutely don't want NYC in any circumstance.

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--


1. Wait what?

2. Even if it were true, how do those LST graphs prove that?

User avatar
Mr. Somebody
Posts: 867
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Penn's access to NYC market gives it slight edge above V and M in my opinion.

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby barneytrouble » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:50 pm

UVA places better in DC though. And the south, but then again it's the south so that might be more of a con than a pro depending on who you are. Talk about a TTT in decline.

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby benburns214 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:00 pm

barneytrouble wrote:UVA places better in DC though. And the south, but then again it's the south so that might be more of a con than a pro depending on who you are. Talk about a TTT in decline.


Ummmm.... what?

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby barneytrouble » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:04 pm

benburns214 wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:UVA places better in DC though. And the south, but then again it's the south so that might be more of a con than a pro depending on who you are. Talk about a TTT in decline.


Ummmm.... what?


sarcasm. im going to UVA

benburns214
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby benburns214 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm

barneytrouble wrote:
benburns214 wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:UVA places better in DC though. And the south, but then again it's the south so that might be more of a con than a pro depending on who you are. Talk about a TTT in decline.


Ummmm.... what?


sarcasm. im going to UVA


Ah... mystery solved

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm

But seriously, Penn.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: A hard decision

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:26 pm

bk1 wrote:They are peer schools.

QoL is a personal decision.

This. Anyone who says otherwise is confused or mistaken.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: A hard decision

Postby berkeleykel06 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Visit both, pick the one you like best.


Have fun at UVA.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby justicefishy » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:58 am

Thank you very much everyone! I'll try and see if I can make both Penn's and UVA's ASWs (naturally they're at the same time, lol #firstworldproblems) and see which one is better for me/feels right. Good luck to everyone else this cycle!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:22 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:Visit both, pick the one you like best.


Have fun at UVA.


I did not like the infamous tshirts being worn at admitted student day. Truthfully I didn't think the schools are very far apart at all in quality and career outlook, but I really did not want to be around people would disliked their school so much they would troll incoming students. (even though it was only a very small number)

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby Doritos » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:24 pm

I chose UVa partly because of the cheap cost of living. I pay 350 a month and have a rather large spot (with roommates) compared to whatever you'll be paying in Philly. Figure out the difference over 3 years and it's like you got a cost of living scholarship. They are very much peers so if I were you I'd (1) figure out what market you wanna end up in and (2) figure out how to keep your debt down. If you have any specific questions about UVa feel free to PM me.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: A hard decision

Postby bernaldiaz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
berkeleykel06 wrote:Visit both, pick the one you like best.


Have fun at UVA.


I did not like the infamous tshirts being worn at admitted student day. Truthfully I didn't think the schools are very far apart at all in quality and career outlook, but I really did not want to be around people would disliked their school so much they would troll incoming students. (even though it was only a very small number)


What did the shirts say?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: A hard decision

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:31 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:What did the shirts say?


$40000 a year and no job.

I don't actually agree with the tone ATL takes in the article, but I formed my own opinion on this:

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/03/law-stud ... mployment/




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dclaw93, PrezRand and 12 guests