Duke or GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pizzaguy1

Duke or GULC

Postby pizzaguy1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 am

I can't really decide between these two schools and I most likely will be getting similar amounts of aid at both (less than half). If I was planning on going into biglaw after law school which one of these would be preferable? Also what are some benefits and disadvantages of both schools? I'm not too familiar with both schools although I have been trying to do some research on them so anything about the two schools would really help me out.

whitman

Re: Duke or GULC

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:04 pm

You should make a poll. People like voting in polls. People don't like typing out long responses unless they're posters that seem to particularly enjoy dispensing wisdom (fortunately and sometimes unfortunately, there are a few of these hanging about) or the situation is particularly relevant to their own interests or circumstances.

While the gap between Duke and GULC is exaggerated on these boards and self-selection is certainly a factor in GULC's inferior firm placement, Duke is almost certainly the better choice. It has strong placement in NYC, a good brand name to carry back to any secondary market, a small class size, and excellent institutional support. GULC is huge. This can be good - see the study on schools that have produced the most partners - and bad - see the large numbers of un- and underemployed recent GULC graduates.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:18 pm

Duke, hands down. See above.

pizzaguy1

Postby pizzaguy1 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:56 pm

Ok thanks guys for the help, I'm definitely leaning towards Duke so the words of advice really helped me out and I'll make sure to utilize the poll.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:26 am

Dook, no question.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”