somewhat hypothetical situation Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
paulshortys10

Silver

somewhat hypothetical situation

Post by paulshortys10 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:03 am

I'm in at UCI with 90k, in at davis(no offer yet since recently admitted), and waitlisted at UCLA(haven't heard from USC yet)

I'm from SoCal and would probably end up practicing somewhere in cali preferably. I do also have an itch to move away though.

So..

UCI at 90k
UC Davis at 60-75k (let's assume they give me money)
UCLA/USC at sticker(let's assume they admit me with no money)

barneytrouble

Bronze

Re: somewhat hypothetical situation

Post by barneytrouble » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:26 am

let's not

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:06 am

barneytrouble wrote:let's not
you are SO cool bro!

I specifically posted it was hypothetical so I didn't hear from cool guys like you

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:08 am

And you thought that would convince people to suddenly partake in the hypothetical?

Just be patient. Everyone is antsy to pick a school, but just wait until you get actual $...

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:14 am

Bronck wrote:And you thought that would convince people to suddenly partake in the hypothetical?

Just be patient. Everyone is antsy to pick a school, but just wait until you get actual $...
I assumed this was a forum where people answered hypotheticals. Either way you're right.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:22 am

paulshortys10 wrote:let's assume
I would never make an ass out of you and me

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:30 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
barneytrouble wrote:let's not
you are SO cool bro!

I specifically posted it was hypothetical so I didn't hear from cool guys like you
that doesn't make it any less pointless

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:37 am

Forgive me everyone, I had no idea I had committed the worst sin on TLS. My apologies if I hurt anyone

nsbane

Bronze

Post by nsbane » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:33 am

paulshortys10 wrote:Forgive me everyone, I had no idea I had committed the worst sin on TLS. My apologies if I hurt anyone
I can forgive ... but I can never forget.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MissyJRA177

New

Post by MissyJRA177 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Don't worry, you're not the first to innocently post a hypothetical and get torn up for it. Other than that, I can't be much help because I'm not very familiar with the CA schools/system. Good luck!

PARTY

Bronze

Post by PARTY » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:40 pm

Grizz wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:let's assume
I would never make an ass out of youu and me
165... right idea but poor execution.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:27 pm

I'd help you out (even if it is a hypothetical) without the snarkiness, but I know nothing about west coast schools/employment. Good luck though!

Mr. Somebody

Silver

Post by Mr. Somebody » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Are you aiming for LA Biglaw? If so I think the gap in placement between UCLA and UCD is enough to justify attending the former at sticker or near-sticker

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:27 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:I'd help you out (even if it is a hypothetical) without the snarkiness, but I know nothing about west coast schools/employment. Good luck though!
Thanks Berbatov.

And yea I'd like to practice in LA/OC preferably...meaning NorCal is not out of the question either..

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:13 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:I'd help you out (even if it is a hypothetical) without the snarkiness, but I know nothing about west coast schools/employment. Good luck though!
Thanks Berbatov.

And yea I'd like to practice in LA/OC preferably...meaning NorCal is not out of the question either..
Holy shit. Someone outside of "The Futbol 2012 Thread" knows who my 'tar is. My new best friend.

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:48 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
Thanks Berbatov.

Holy shit. Someone outside of "The Futbol 2012 Thread" knows who my 'tar is. My new best friend.
Bro!....remember? Chicharito>Berbatov

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:53 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
Thanks Berbatov.

Bro!....remember? Chicharito>Berbatov
Haha I totally forgot about that! Hmmm...maybe not quite my best friend then...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

butifuldisastr

New

Post by butifuldisastr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 am

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm a 0L and this is from what I've read/researched. I'm from California as well so I've tried to learn what I can about CA schools.

UCI at 90k --> I've heard speculation that once accredited, will rank somewhere in the 20's. Should have a decent network.

UC Davis at 60-75k (let's assume they give me money) --> Although ranked 23rd, people tend to say its peer school is somewhere around Hastings, ranked 40-something. Job prospects are interesting, as a lot of Davis grads compete for Bay area jobs - means competing against Berkeley and Stanfords grads. Tough market.

UCLA/USC at sticker(let's assume they admit me with no money) --> USC's network is strong in LA. I went to undergrad there and can speak for their undergrad business network - pretty amazing. However, if you want a school with a stronger reach to the rest of CA, I would definitely say UCLA. I love USC, but imo, UCLA > USC if you don't necessarily want to work in LA.

Overall:

You can afford sticker and want to stay in CA: UCLA
Don't want to be in debt forever/you're cool with the Orange County (ish) area: UCI

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:53 am

I dont think the trojan network is nearly as strong for the law school, seems more like an Undergrad thing to me. Just my experience but UCLA and USC are at least par in SoCal with UCLA maybe slightly having an advantage.

One thing to be wary of with UCI, I know at least one hiring partner in SoCal who thinks very poorly of the school and won't hire from UCI. I know UCI has been placing pretty well, but its still really hard to project how the hiring will sustain with larger classes.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:06 am

paulshortys10 wrote:I'm in at UCI with 90k, in at davis(no offer yet since recently admitted), and waitlisted at UCLA(haven't heard from USC yet)

UCI at 90k
I think that assuming you'll get money at Davis is way premature, as is your assumption you'll see no money from USC.

UCI is still giving out boatloads of money because when they opened their law school they budgeted to spend abnormally high amounts on scholarship funds; they know that getting high-caliber applicants to attend a school with no real alumni base that's unaccredited will take money. Davis doesn't have that issue, and from what I've seen over the last few cycles, they are incredibly stingy with money for in-state residents. Maybe they think that in-state tuition is discount enough (it's not), I don't know. Certainly the fact that the UC System is as broke as the rest of our state doesn't help. But I got over $100k from better-ranked schools and nothing from Davis.

USC, on the other hand, is less impacted by CA's budget problems (still impacted, mind you, just less so when it comes to scholarship funds) because it's a private school. They also weren't exceptionally forthcoming with money, as compared to their peers, but they are more likely to offer something than Davis is.

I'd wait until you see what the actual money situation is going to be before you bother putting too much thought into this choice.

jerichosm

Bronze

Post by jerichosm » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:06 pm

At least nobody gave you the standard troll answer:

"Retake and ED to UVA."

I think your hypothetical has substance, and I'd help, if I had any idea about the California schools...good luck though!

paulshortys10

Silver

Post by paulshortys10 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:16 pm

mi-chan17 wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:I'm in at UCI with 90k, in at davis(no offer yet since recently admitted), and waitlisted at UCLA(haven't heard from USC yet)

UCI at 90k
I think that assuming you'll get money at Davis is way premature, as is your assumption you'll see no money from USC.

UCI is still giving out boatloads of money because when they opened their law school they budgeted to spend abnormally high amounts on scholarship funds; they know that getting high-caliber applicants to attend a school with no real alumni base that's unaccredited will take money. Davis doesn't have that issue, and from what I've seen over the last few cycles, they are incredibly stingy with money for in-state residents. Maybe they think that in-state tuition is discount enough (it's not), I don't know. Certainly the fact that the UC System is as broke as the rest of our state doesn't help. But I got over $100k from better-ranked schools and nothing from Davis.

USC, on the other hand, is less impacted by CA's budget problems (still impacted, mind you, just less so when it comes to scholarship funds) because it's a private school. They also weren't exceptionally forthcoming with money, as compared to their peers, but they are more likely to offer something than Davis is.

I'd wait until you see what the actual money situation is going to be before you bother putting too much thought into this choice.
Thanks for your honest answer and also to the others who have given an opinion. Unlike those trolls that take online forum life too seriously.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”