Michigan vs. Virginia - int'l public interest

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school has less emphasis on theory?

Michigan
56%
Virginia
44%

Total votes: 16

plaiseadieu

Michigan vs. Virginia - int'l public interest

Postby plaiseadieu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:29 pm

Any advice on choosing between Michigan - Ann Arbor and Virginia? I am interested in public interest on an international level (hopefully the intersection between policy and advocacy). Both schools seem to "look good" in terms of international law course offerings but I would appreciate different perspectives. I am so far set to pay sticker price at either school, so scholarships aren't in the picture to sway my thinking. Originally, I am from CA, so the weather in VA seems enticing compared to Michigan's cold. But I keep getting the impression that Michigan is more cosmopolitan and embracing of international mindsets than Virginia.

Share some insight please!!

P.S. The poll is a side note: which school seems to place more emphasis on practical education?

Nobody

Re: Michigan vs. Virginia - int'l public interest

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33 pm

I wish you luck in your search for a practical education in international law.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:51 pm

Well, I keep telling people this but UVA is not warm -- it will be 41 / 31 there tomorrow.

As far as it goes, I've heard that U Mich is better for international stuff -- though admittedly from our own people. We do have a designated externship program with South Africa and a lot of international human righty people here. We also have people come in and give talks and one of our profs (or former profs -- idk if she is coming back) is on some fancy European court. Also, talking to LLMs from Germany and Austria M Law is hot shit over there, which made me laugh because I never knew it had a good law school until I was applying and I'm from a few hours away.

Idk how UVA is but from what I understand it is tough finding a job in that field so maybe just having more ppl interested in it from U Mich would be helpful.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:54 pm

OP, have you done research into this? There are very few international PI jobs and even less entry level. There are some more kind of related but I'd make sure you know what you're getting into and have a backup.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:57 pm

Nobody wrote:I wish you luck in your search for a practical education in international law.

+1 currently taking an international law course. most theoretical class i've taken

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:00 am

blowhard wrote:OP, have you done research into this? There are very few international PI jobs and even less entry level. There are some more kind of related but I'd make sure you know what you're getting into and have a backup.

A decent rule of thumb is that unless you have previous experience in this field, just forget about it entirely.

plaiseadieu

Postby plaiseadieu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 am

blowhard wrote:OP, have you done research into this? There are very few international PI jobs and even less entry level. There are some more kind of related but I'd make sure you know what you're getting into and have a backup.

I have done my research, but I am not attempting to go into international public interest/policy on strictly a law degree. I am actually more so interested in policy & law: studied policy as an undergrad and I applied for a concurrent public policy degree program. I guess my concern is which school will be more supportive in terms of clinics, public interest funding, student orgs, etc. for a student who is interested in international policy and law.

plaiseadieu

Postby plaiseadieu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:23 am

AreJay711 wrote:Well, I keep telling people this but UVA is not warm -- it will be 41 / 31 there tomorrow.

As far as it goes, I've heard that U Mich is better for international stuff -- though admittedly from our own people. We do have a designated externship program with South Africa and a lot of international human righty people here. We also have people come in and give talks and one of our profs (or former profs -- idk if she is coming back) is on some fancy European court. Also, talking to LLMs from Germany and Austria M Law is hot shit over there, which made me laugh because I never knew it had a good law school until I was applying and I'm from a few hours away.

Idk how UVA is but from what I understand it is tough finding a job in that field so maybe just having more ppl interested in it from U Mich would be helpful.

Thank you for your input! Do you know of anyone who has taken the International Transactions Clinic?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:16 am

plaiseadieu wrote:

I have done my research, but I am not attempting to go into international public interest/policy on strictly a law degree. I am actually more so interested in policy & law: studied policy as an undergrad and I applied for a concurrent public policy degree program. I guess my concern is which school will be more supportive in terms of clinics, public interest funding, student orgs, etc. for a student who is interested in international policy and law.

Do you have any actual experience in an international NGO, any work experience abroad, even volunteer work? Really the correct answer is to go get fieldwork experience and reapply but if you go next year Michigan is a much better fit for your interests.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:19 am

Another TLSer with outstanding credentials and connections in international PI did the research, looked for the jobs in the field and ultimately realized you need to do several years at a big prestigious firm to hope to luck into this kind of work. I wish this TLSer would write an article on the subject so I could link you to it instead of telling you this anecdote, but basically: if you still think there are jobs, you have not done enough research.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 am

IAFG wrote:Another TLSer with outstanding credentials and connections in international PI did the research, looked for the jobs in the field and ultimately realized you need to do several years at a big prestigious firm to hope to luck into this kind of work. I wish this TLSer would write an article on the subject so I could link you to it instead of telling you this anecdote, but basically: if you still think there are jobs, you have not done enough research.

Also be wary of schools who advertise externships in cool int'l bodies or organizations. There is a professor at Northwestern who literally gets anyone into the ICJ just for asking him for a recommendation. But good fucking luck getting a real paid job.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:08 am

plaiseadieu wrote:

Then you also need to be considering the weight of each school's public policy school...

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:51 pm

plaiseadieu wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:Well, I keep telling people this but UVA is not warm -- it will be 41 / 31 there tomorrow.

Thank you for your input! Do you know of anyone who has taken the International Transactions Clinic?

My roommate took it. She liked it a lot. She said in her experience it was basically helping investors in foreign countries to get start-up businesses off the ground (usually businesses in the realm of the public interest, like bike shops and stuff...) she said it's most useful for people who are planning to go into firms because you learn a lot of the terminology that can carry over to a firm job. Sorry if that sounds confusing, that's what I got out of what she said but I don't know anything about it first hand. If you come to visit Michigan let me know and I'll see if she can talk to you about it firsthand.

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:55 pm

Grizz wrote:

A decent rule of thumb is that unless you have previous experience in this field, just forget about it entirely.

Curious what kind of work you could have before law school that would be experience in this field? Genuine question

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:07 pm

jerichosm wrote:
Grizz wrote:

Curious what kind of work you could have before law school that would be experience in this field? Genuine question

Working for an NGO or in the area the particular NGO works. E.g. I know someone who wrote grants for an HIV NGO in Africa for a few years. Everyone involved in them tends to be die hard about the subject area and there is little cross-over.

jerichosm

Postby jerichosm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 pm

blowhard wrote:
jerichosm wrote:
Grizz wrote:

Working for an NGO or in the area the particular NGO works. E.g. I know someone who wrote grants for an HIV NGO in Africa for a few years. Everyone involved in them tends to be die hard about the subject area and there is little cross-over.

ahh makes sense thank you

Return to “Choosing a Law School”