Am I insane?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School?

Columbia
41%
Stanford
59%

Total votes: 71

IAFG

Re: Am I insane?

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:31 am

plaiseadieu wrote:Side note: Rankings do change from year to year.

So making a decision about law school based on rankings that differ marginally is silly. Example: My boss at the law firm I work at chose to go to Washington & Lee when she went to law school because they were #15 (& they gave her scholly money). Now they are in the 30's...and thats less than 10 years later. She wishes now that she would have went to a different school because she may have enjoyed the quality of life more.

Just something to think about.

Everyone is talking about job prospects. No one is talking about USNWR.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 am

So making a decision about law school based on rankings that differ marginally is silly. Example: My boss at the law firm I work at chose to go to Washington & Lee when she went to law school because they were #15 (& they gave her scholly money). Now they are in the 30's...and thats less than 10 years later. She wishes now that she would have went to a different school because she may have enjoyed the quality of life more.

Not to say that Columbia or Stanford will drop in the rankings that far. But you have to look at other personal factors to help one option stand out more.

Stanford being better than Columbia has nothing to do with Stanford's rank.

Scooooooooped by IAFGGGGGGGG.

plaiseadieu

Postby plaiseadieu » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:40 am

IAFG wrote:

LOL...Speak for yourself. A few posts didn't mention job prospects at all.

P.S. I am unscoopable because I am not ice cream. Thank you!

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:42 am

plaiseadieu wrote:P.S. I am unscoopable because I am not ice cream. Thank you!

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:45 am

plaiseadieu wrote:
IAFG wrote:

P.S. I am unscoopable because I am not ice cream. Thank you!

Re-read... nope. No one was talking about USNWR.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:45 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:00 am

plaiseadieu wrote:
IAFG wrote:

I think it was implied.

In general, you are correct that making a decision based on USNWR rankings is stupid. But comparing USNWR shifts in the elite upper echelons to the shifts lower down the rankings is not right at all. Fluctuations are common lower in the rankings. Not so much in the T14, and certainly not in the T6. Both schools are phenomenal, but Stanford is the better school by a decent margin. Especially if OP is from Cali and wants to practice in Cali.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:02 am

Clicked this post hoping it featured areyouinsane. And SLS is such an obvious choice. I don't think you realize how good better opportunities and fake grades are. If you want to try out NY, you can easily do a summer there from SLS.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:02 am

You want out of California? What's another 3 years? Take SLS, then go wherever the hell you want when you graduate. Go work in NYC or DC or Boston or wherever for a few years, then enjoy incredible lateral options if you want back in to California.

snailio

Postby snailio » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:04 am

kalvano wrote:You want out of California? What's another 3 years? Take SLS, then go wherever the hell you want when you graduate. Go work in NYC or DC or Boston or wherever for a few years, then enjoy incredible lateral options if you want back in to California.

This reply is way too reasonable and should be discounted immediately.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:12 am

snailio wrote:
kalvano wrote:You want out of California? What's another 3 years? Take SLS, then go wherever the hell you want when you graduate. Go work in NYC or DC or Boston or wherever for a few years, then enjoy incredible lateral options if you want back in to California.

This reply is way too reasonable and should be discounted immediately.

Sorry, I meant to hurl insults about the USNWR rankings and maybe something vaguely personal at people, and that shit came out. I'll try harder next time.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:28 am

Have you lived in NYC? It's super shitty dood.

boosk

Postby boosk » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:30 am

AreJay711 wrote:there is no place I'd want to be less without a significant billfold.

Vegas

soj

Postby soj » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:35 am

You can actually live pretty modestly in Vegas.

But yeah, OP, if you want to get out of the west, get that out of your system before law school, during the summers, of after graduation. The no grades thing is huge, IMO.
Last edited by soj on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:36 am

Kabuo wrote:Clicked this post hoping it featured areyouinsane. And SLS is such an obvious choice. I don't think you realize how good better opportunities and fake grades are. If you want to try out NY, you can easily do a summer there from SLS.

+1

Return to “Choosing a Law School”