Cornell (Sticker) v. Boston University (35k per year)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MAapplicant

Cornell (Sticker) v. Boston University (35k per year)

Postby MAapplicant » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Have narrowed my choices down to Cornell and BU. Have not received any financial info from Cornell yet, but with my numbers (Cornell was a big reach) I don't think I will receive much. BU has offered me 35k per year, totaling $105,000 for three years, with no stipulations. In terms of where I want to practice I am open to the New York, Boston, or southern California (it is where I grew up). Whatya guys and gals think?

Doorkeeper

Re: Cornell (Sticker) v. Boston University (35k per year)

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:25 pm

You're going to need to wait to see what Cornell gives...who knows whether they give you need and/or merit aid.

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Go with Boston.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:07 pm

Tough choice, but leaning toward Boston due to the extreme COA for Cornell.

titan747

Postby titan747 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:04 pm

Boston U... Law school at sticker= slave to debt

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:15 am

Im going to go against the grain and say cornell sticker.
Cornell gives you a 15-20% extra chance at biglaw. keep in mind ithica is a lot cheaper than living in boston.

If you miss biglaw at either school you are in serious trouble no matter whether you have 50k in debt or 150k in debt. If you go 150k in debt, you can sign up for IBR which limits your payments to 10% for 20 years. Last time I checked, 10% of 0 is 0. Therefore the downside of 150k debt and no job is only slightly worse than 50k and no job.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:22 am

thexfactor wrote:Im going to go against the grain and say cornell sticker.
Cornell gives you a 15-20% extra chance at biglaw. keep in mind ithica is a lot cheaper than living in boston.

If you miss biglaw at either school you are in serious trouble no matter whether you have 50k in debt or 150k in debt. If you go 150k in debt, you can sign up for IBR which limits your payments to 10% for 20 years. Last time I checked, 10% of 0 is 0. Therefore the downside of 150k debt and no job is only slightly worse than 50k and no job.

Cornell is also among the most expensive schools, mitigating the COL difference a bit.

I think you take BU unless you get at the very least, 10K per year.
This is coming from one of the biggest T14 or bust trolls out there

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 am

JamMasterJ wrote:

Cornell is also among the most expensive schools, mitigating the COL difference a bit.

I'm slightly an anti bu/bc troll. Im still a little skeptical of bu/bc's placement stats. People have been saying that the schools right outside of the t14 are the ones that got hit the hardest in biglaw hiring. The 2010 class did their OCI right before the collapse. The numbers for the class of 2011 aren't out yet. I think the 2011 numbers will convince me if bu/bc actually place 30% consistantly.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:53 pm

thexfactor wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

I'm slightly an anti bu/bc troll. Im still a little skeptical of bu/bc's placement stats. People have been saying that the schools right outside of the t14 are the ones that got hit the hardest in biglaw hiring. The 2010 class did their OCI right before the collapse. The numbers for the class of 2011 aren't out yet. I think the 2011 numbers will convince me if bu/bc actually place 30% consistantly.

BU/BC's 2011's biglaw placement is abysmal. C/O 2012 is back up to 30%ish though.

horrorbusiness

Postby horrorbusiness » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:01 pm

MAapplicant wrote:Have narrowed my choices down to Cornell and BU. Have not received any financial info from Cornell yet, but with my numbers (Cornell was a big reach) I don't think I will receive much. BU has offered me 35k per year, totaling $105,000 for three years, with no stipulations. In terms of where I want to practice I am open to the New York, Boston, or southern California (it is where I grew up). Whatya guys and gals think?

i'm in almost the same position. i've got 35k/yr at BU and no scholly info from cornell yet either. FWIW, i'm leaning heavily toward Cornell.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Current Cornell 1L here.

Honestly, that's a tough choice. I had WUSTL at 27K/yr and went with Cornell, but 35K is a nice chunk of change.

The feeling around here this past year is very positive. In general, it looks like things are looking up for everybody and employment stats are apparently very good this year.

That said, there is of course the chance (ever so slight) that you end up in the bottom of your class with no job/crap job. $50K debt is surely a lot easier to swallow at that point.

ALSO, people who say COL is cheap in Ithaca are 99.9% full of crap. Yes, housing may be cheaper than NYC or Boston, but it's not huge. Look at Ithaca CL. You pretty much have 3 options:

1. Decent 1 br 5+ miles out of town (forced to rely on bus service) for ~800/mo; No amenities (e.g., dishwasher, laundry, etc.)
2. Tiny hell-hole with sloping floors, mold and spider infestation, but within 20 minute walking distance for ~ 1000/mo
3. Decent, yet very dorm-feely studios or 1br close to LS ~1300 +

I believe that 20 years ago all of the landlords got together and decided to not include dishwashers in any apartment. Don't ask me why. Some of these places don't even have ovens/stoves. Who needs that right?

Seriously, though, if you want a halfway decent place that's within walking distance, you'll be paying at least 1200/person, if not much more.

/Rant

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:22 am

PinkCow wrote:Current Cornell 1L here.

Honestly, that's a tough choice. I had WUSTL at 27K/yr and went with Cornell, but 35K is a nice chunk of change.

The feeling around here this past year is very positive. In general, it looks like things are looking up for everybody and employment stats are apparently very good this year.

That said, there is of course the chance (ever so slight) that you end up in the bottom of your class with no job/crap job. $50K debt is surely a lot easier to swallow at that point.

ALSO, people who say COL is cheap in Ithaca are 99.9% full of crap. Yes, housing may be cheaper than NYC or Boston, but it's not huge. Look at Ithaca CL. You pretty much have 3 options:

1. Decent 1 br 5+ miles out of town (forced to rely on bus service) for ~800/mo; No amenities (e.g., dishwasher, laundry, etc.)
2. Tiny hell-hole with sloping floors, mold and spider infestation, but within 20 minute walking distance for ~ 1000/mo
3. Decent, yet very dorm-feely studios or 1br close to LS ~1300 +

I believe that 20 years ago all of the landlords got together and decided to not include dishwashers in any apartment. Don't ask me why. Some of these places don't even have ovens/stoves. Who needs that right?

Seriously, though, if you want a halfway decent place that's within walking distance, you'll be paying at least 1200/person, if not much more.

/Rant

With IBR i don't think it is THAT much better. Maybe 2-3k better per year better. There is a decent difference in biglaw placement between the two schools. Keep in mind that the opportunity costs also involve 3 years of your life. 50k debt and no job doesn't do any good for your career. In law, your first job will generally dictate your career.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”