L&C v Maryland v Fordham v CU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best option?

Lewis & Clark (21k/yr)
6%
Maryland (15k/yr)
6%
Fordham (Sticker)
31%
CU (in-state tuition)
56%

Total votes: 16

jackson28

L&C v Maryland v Fordham v CU

Postby jackson28 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:01 pm

I was offered the Leadership Scholarship at Maryland, and am currently trying to negotiate for more $$ at MD with my L&C offer. Also, I am on the waitlist at Fordham and still deciding if I should wait it out (knowing that I won't be getting any $$ from them).

I am from Colorado and am looking to live in the mountain west, but would glady test the waters outside of that. I will be pursuing environmental law and my goal is a decent Fed job or something in the private sector.

The stipulation on the L&C scholarship is 2.95, and no stip on the Maryland offer.

dietcoke0

Re: L&C v Maryland v Fordham v CU

Postby dietcoke0 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:19 pm

jackson28 wrote:I was offered the Leadership Scholarship at Maryland, and am currently trying to negotiate for more $$ at MD with my L&C offer. Also, I am on the waitlist at Fordham and still deciding if I should wait it out (knowing that I won't be getting any $$ from them).

I am from Colorado and am looking to live in the mountain west,but would glady test the waters outside of that. I will be pursuing environmental law and my goal is a decent Fed job or something in the private sector.

The stipulation on the L&C scholarship is 2.95, and no stip on the Maryland offer

Colorado it is

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:03 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:
jackson28 wrote:I was offered the Leadership Scholarship at Maryland, and am currently trying to negotiate for more $$ at MD with my L&C offer. Also, I am on the waitlist at Fordham and still deciding if I should wait it out (knowing that I won't be getting any $$ from them).

I am from Colorado and am looking to live in the mountain west,but would glady test the waters outside of that. I will be pursuing environmental law and my goal is a decent Fed job or something in the private sector.

The stipulation on the L&C scholarship is 2.95, and no stip on the Maryland offer

Colorado it is

Credited.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:14 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Colorado it is

+1. You didn't get any aid from CU?

jackson28

Postby jackson28 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:46 pm

I'm actually currently on their waitlist. I was fairly surprised, and a little bitter, to get waitlisted so I have been leaning away from CU. I'm also very open to moving elsewhere so living in the mountain west isn't something I'm set on by any means.

Would paying full price at Fordham be a better option (assuming I get in off the waitlist) than going to L&C or MD for half price? Especially since Fordham doesn't have an environmental law program, just electives, as opposed to the strong environmental law reputations that both L&C and Maryland have?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:59 pm

jackson28 wrote:strong environmental law reputations that both L&C and Maryland have

:|

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:15 pm

jackson28 wrote:I'm actually currently on their waitlist. I was fairly surprised, and a little bitter, to get waitlisted so I have been leaning away from CU. I'm also very open to moving elsewhere so living in the mountain west isn't something I'm set on by any means.

Would paying full price at Fordham be a better option (assuming I get in off the waitlist) than going to L&C or MD for half price? Especially since Fordham doesn't have an environmental law program, just electives, as opposed to the strong environmental law reputations that both L&C and Maryland have?

Lol, nobody cares about specific program rankings. And Fordham at sticker is never a good idea, especially since you're dishing out even more money for NYC COL.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Pretty much any job will give you training on the job. You don't need a concentration in enviro.

Try to get into CU. Send them a letter of LOCI. Even if they didn't offer you $, hopefully in-state rate is favorable.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:20 pm

It's REALLY hard to get jobs in places you're not from, especially from middling schools (MD, SC), and especially in parochial areas (PacNW). If you don't get into CU, retake and reapply.

Also, enviro programs don't necessarily translate to better job outcomes. The enviro rankings are meaningless. Going to a top school will get you farther with bigfed (which actually isn't really hiring) and enviro jobs more than some specialty program will.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:59 pm

Bronck wrote:Lol, nobody cares about specific program rankings. And Fordham at sticker is never a good idea, especially since you're dishing out even more money for NYC COL.

I love how everyone says fordham at sticker is never a good idea. Depending on long-term goals, it can be an excellent idea.
Just not for the circumstances described in this question.

Unless you know you want to end up in NYC, you probably shouldn't consider Fordham

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:41 pm

Grizz wrote:It's REALLY hard to get jobs in places you're not from, especially from middling schools (MD, SC), and especially in parochial areas (PacNW). If you don't get into CU, retake and reapply.

Also, enviro programs don't necessarily translate to better job outcomes. The enviro rankings are meaningless. Going to a top school will get you farther with bigfed (which actually isn't really hiring) and enviro jobs more than some specialty program will.

Everything in this post is credited.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 pm

dingbat wrote:
Bronck wrote:Lol, nobody cares about specific program rankings. And Fordham at sticker is never a good idea, especially since you're dishing out even more money for NYC COL.

I love how everyone says fordham at sticker is never a good idea. Depending on long-term goals, it can be an excellent idea.
Just not for the circumstances described in this question.

Unless you know you want to end up in NYC, you probably shouldn't consider Fordham

The COA at Fordham is 74k right now. Assuming no increase, that's 222k of unsubsidized loans. No way in hell is Fordham worth close to a quarter million dollars of debt ITE. Its biglaw numbers just don't justify it, and I doubt its LRAP program is going to impress.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Bronck wrote: ...its LRAP program is going to impress does not exist.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”