Cornell vs GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chucky21

Cornell vs GULC

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:41 pm

So does anyone know which school has the best opportunities for Biglaw? I know a lot of GULC grads go into public interest but is that more a function of their own desires or the school?

Bronck

Re: Cornell vs GULC

Postby Bronck » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Cornell, though mostly if you want to work in NYC

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:49 pm

Bronck wrote:Cornell, though mostly if you want to work in NYC

Are you considering either of these schools? Do big firms in NYC simply like Cornell grads more?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:06 am

Chucky21 wrote:
Bronck wrote:Cornell, though mostly if you want to work in NYC

Are you considering either of these schools? Do big firms in NYC simply like Cornell grads more?

It's really hard for us to know. More Cornell people end up in biglaw, but there are a lot of factors at play here. Yes, GULC students are more likely to have the requisite connections to end up at places other than firms. GULC also takes a ton of transfers, and it's possible they end up hurting their placement stats when they don't get jobs. The placement stats are a tool, but the onus is on you to figure out the limitations of those statistics.

breadbucket

Postby breadbucket » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:35 pm

but in general, comparing class sizes/networking, and employment opportunities, which would be better overall, minus some minor specifications as to specific jobs

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:40 pm

breadbucket wrote: minus some minor specifications as to specific jobs

This is the difference between these two schools. Cornell is a one trick pony. Assuming cost of attendance is the same, your decision should be based on the question "do you want NYC big law?" If yes, Cornell easily. If you want a firm job in your home market, the conventional wisdom is that GULC travels better. If you want PI, GULC's LRAP is significantly better, but cracking DC is really hard.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 pm

Nelson wrote:

This is the difference between these two schools. Cornell is a one trick pony. Assuming cost of attendance is the same, your decision should be based on the question "do you want NYC big law?" If yes, Cornell easily. If you want a firm job in your home market, the conventional wisdom is that GULC travels better. If you want PI, GULC's LRAP is significantly better, but cracking DC is really hard.

Ok so if I definitely want NYC big law then I should go to Cornell? Is this just because of its rep in the city? Cornell's stats say that 90%+ of their grads end up in private practice? Does anyone know how many get big law each year?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Ok so if I definitely want NYC big law then I should go to Cornell? Is this just because of its rep in the city? Cornell's stats say that 90%+ of their grads end up in private practice? Does anyone know how many get big law each year?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2483173162

2010 was a good year for Cornell with 58% NLJ 250, but it seems like usually 40-50% of the class ends up with big law.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:27 pm

Nelson wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:
Nelson wrote:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2483173162

2010 was a good year for Cornell with 58% NLJ 250, but it seems like usually 40-50% of the class ends up with big law.

I really doubt that's true of what's "usual." 2010 was a bad year for everyone, but Cornell weathered the storm better than others. I think "usual" is probably more in line with 65%+.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Cornell is the better option for NYC biglaw.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:37 pm

2010 was a good year for Cornell with 58% NLJ 250, but it seems like usually 40-50% of the class ends up with big law.[/quote]
I really doubt that's true of what's "usual." 2010 was a bad year for everyone, but Cornell weathered the storm better than others. I think "usual" is probably more in line with 65%+.[/quote]

So is it acceptable to say that if you're in the top 50% of your class then you're in good shape? Is it the small class size that is conducive to more people being hired by the top firms?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:42 pm

I've been doing research on this because I might be faced with the same choice, but Cornell is the clear winner here IMO unless you want to do non-profit or PI work in DC. Besides their better biglaw placement and access to a superior market, GULC is just ridiculously stingy with money (or has been in the past couple years) and Cornell is a little more generous.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:05 pm

Chucky21 wrote:So is it acceptable to say that if you're in the top 50% of your class then you're in good shape? Is it the small class size that is conducive to more people being hired by the top firms?

1) no...you're in better shape than most, but biglaw %s don't necessarily correlate with class ranking. People below median get offers and those above median still strike out.

2) yes, Cornell's small class size is probably what helped it weather the storm better than its peers, along with its emphasis on NYC

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:07 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:I've been doing research on this because I might be faced with the same choice, but Cornell is the clear winner here IMO unless you want to do non-profit or PI work in DC. Besides their better biglaw placement and access to a superior market, GULC is just ridiculously stingy with money (or has been in the past couple years) and Cornell is a little more generous.

Excellent, I am leaning towards Cornell and the money issue you brought up definitely makes sense. Do you know when they award merit scholarships?

fnm11

Postby fnm11 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:20 pm

I think they give out that information sometime in March. If you have scholarship offers from other schools, fax over a copy. I did that last year and they partly matched schools ranked lower.

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:33 pm

fnm11 wrote:I think they give out that information sometime in March. If you have scholarship offers from other schools, fax over a copy. I did that last year and they partly matched schools ranked lower.

Thanks for the tip, so do you think should I wait until March before faxing that over, or should I pre-empt any possible scholarship offer?

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
fnm11 wrote:I think they give out that information sometime in March. If you have scholarship offers from other schools, fax over a copy. I did that last year and they partly matched schools ranked lower.

Thanks for the tip, so do you think should I wait until March before faxing that over, or should I pre-empt any possible scholarship offer?

Does anyone know how generous Cornell is with money? What numbers do you need?

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:42 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:

bumpin this shit

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:

bumpin this shit

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/1011/

arodd53

Postby arodd53 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 am

Last edited by arodd53 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:35 am

Cornell hands down.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”