UGA or W&M

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SPE155

UGA or W&M

Postby SPE155 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:36 pm

So far both UGA and W&M have offered me $$ to attend. I would like to practice in the south (haven't narrowed to a particular state but lets say VA, NC, SC,or GA). Which one of these schools is the safe bet for finding the best job after graduation? Also, W&M has offered a bit more than UGA, can I use W&M to negotiate with UGA for more $?

Lastly, I am also accepted at Emory, W&L, and Miami so far but no word on scholarships yet. Would any of these trump UGA or W&M if they came with an equal tuition?

jerichosm

Re: UGA or W&M

Postby jerichosm » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:37 pm

SPE155 wrote:So far both UGA and W&M have offered me $$ to attend. I would like to practice in the south (haven't narrowed to a particular state but lets say VA, NC, SC,or GA). Which one of these schools is the safe bet for finding the best job after graduation? Also, W&M has offered a bit more than UGA, can I use W&M to negotiate with UGA for more $?

Lastly, I am also accepted at Emory, W&L, and Miami so far but no word on scholarships yet. Would any of these trump UGA or W&M if they came with an equal tuition?

W&L scholarship info comes about a week after the acceptance letter -- how long ago were you accepted?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:39 pm

1) Choose whether you want to work in GA or VA
2) Go to the corresponding school

SPE155

Postby SPE155 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:43 pm

jerichosm wrote:
SPE155 wrote:So far both UGA and W&M have offered me $$ to attend. I would like to practice in the south (haven't narrowed to a particular state but lets say VA, NC, SC,or GA). Which one of these schools is the safe bet for finding the best job after graduation? Also, W&M has offered a bit more than UGA, can I use W&M to negotiate with UGA for more $?

W&L scholarship info comes about a week after the acceptance letter -- how long ago were you accepted?

About a week ago. I received a second packet this weekend, but it didn't contain any scholarship info. Is that normally what the scholarship info comes in? I would honestly be surprised if they didn't make some type of offer. Many with numbers much lower than mine have received offers.
Last edited by SPE155 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Grizz wrote:1) Choose whether you want to work in GA or VA

3) If you're from either state, ignore 1) and just do 2).

Alternate decision tree:
1) Don't go to law school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:48 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Grizz wrote:1) Choose whether you want to work in GA or VA

3) If you're from either state, ignore 1) and just do 2).

Alternate decision tree:
1) Don't go to law school.

Agree in re 3: it's hard to get a jerb in a state you're not from, especially down South.

Also agree in re alternate decision tree. Law school blows, and it makes you into the type of dickhead who types "in re" in internet message boards.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Agree with above posters on UGA vs. W&M. For the other schools you mentioned, Emory and W&L would be worth it at comparable money. Miami definitely would not be.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:33 pm

OP: With your numbers (166/3.81), education (MBA) and work experience (3 years), you should aim higher or negotiate full tuition scholarships to Georgia & W&M.

P.S. To which other law schools have you applied & what are the results ? Seems as if Virginia ED would have been likely.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Seems as if Virginia ED would have been likely.

He's below both medians. Chances are slim at UVA.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:40 pm

Maybe not for ED, plus OP has MBA plus WE. I suspect that OP has applied to Virginia. Was it ED ? Is there a result if RD ?

SPE155

Postby SPE155 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:47 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: With your numbers (166/3.81), education (MBA) and work experience (3 years), you should aim higher or negotiate full tuition scholarships to Georgia & W&M.

P.S. To which other law schools have you applied & what are the results ? Seems as if Virginia ED would have been likely.

I did ED UVA and got waitlisted. I've also applied to some higher ranked schools, just late in the cycle. I'm still waiting to hear back from most.

UVA ED - waitlist
GW - waitlist

UGA - accept
W&M - accept
W&L - accept
Miami - accept
Emory - accept

UT - pending
Vandy - pending
Duke - pending
UPenn - pending
Alabama - pending
UNC - pending
Wake - pending

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:48 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Maybe not for ED, plus OP has MBA plus WE. I suspect that OP has applied to Virginia. Was it ED ? Is there a result if RD ?

I doubt his softs are enough. If he had a 3.9, different story, but 3.8x/166 on LSN is nothing but dings, even for ED.

ETA: Scooped by OP.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:51 pm

OP was waitlisted. Let's call this a draw. You can attribute his WL to a strong app, while I'll attribute it to less than outstanding essays.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:53 pm

OP: No need to worry between Georgia & W&M; you have better options coming.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”