UT at sticker or U of Houston with big scholly Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ctm823

New

UT at sticker or U of Houston with big scholly

Post by ctm823 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:42 pm

I'll be deciding between UT at sticker plus cost of living vs UH with a big scholly and free housing, food etc. I want to work in Houston, preferably do corporate law. I'd love any available insight

eaper

Silver

Re: UT at sticker or U of Houston with big scholly

Post by eaper » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:01 pm

ctm823 wrote:I'll be deciding between UT at sticker plus cost of living vs UH with a big scholly and free housing, food etc. I want to work in Houston, preferably do corporate law. I'd love any available insight
I would probably say UT anyways. It has better placement anywhere in Texas, including Houston, than U of H. Also, I assume you haven't actually received scholly info from UH yet. so you should wait till you have the info in hand before really making any decisions. Or did they start sending that out already?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:09 pm

UT and not even close.

midwestls

New

Post by midwestls » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:00 am

Faced a similar decision in a different market. Went with the scholarship money. Now I'm in a good firm job with no debt - a top firm in the market I wanted to be in.

Can't beat it if it works out for you.

A lot of folks will say, yeah, but if you pass on UT and don't get a job, you'll always wonder what if? And that's true, but you'll be wondering "what if" with little to no law school debt, which is going to be a considerable amount of consolation.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:42 am

kalvano wrote:UT and not even close.
I don't know a ton about the Texas legal market, but UT obviously is leaps and bounds better for Texas employment. But that said, with OP's financial situation I don't think its "not even close" in favor of UT. A free or close to free law degree with free housing and food (presumably living with the folks) in the city OP wants to practice in? I'd take that over UT at sticker. It is all about minimizing risk.

How big of a scholarship are we talking about here OP? Close to full ride? If not, have you tried using your UT acceptance to negotiate more money out of UH? You ought to try.

If your UH scholarship is only like half or something, then go to UT and don't look back. But if we're talking about a full ride or close to a full ride, I'd go to Houston. But that's just me, and I think there is an argument to be made for both. I don't think its a landslide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:58 am

If you want to work in the Houston area, then Houston with a large scholarship is a solid choice. For broader geographic placement options, in-state tuition at Texas is the better option.

P.S. With your numbers, Houston should offer a full tuition scholarship.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:19 am

romothesavior wrote:
kalvano wrote:UT and not even close.
I don't know a ton about the Texas legal market, but UT obviously is leaps and bounds better for Texas employment. But that said, with OP's financial situation I don't think its "not even close" in favor of UT. A free or close to free law degree with free housing and food (presumably living with the folks) in the city OP wants to practice in? I'd take that over UT at sticker. It is all about minimizing risk.

How big of a scholarship are we talking about here OP? Close to full ride? If not, have you tried using your UT acceptance to negotiate more money out of UH? You ought to try.

If your UH scholarship is only like half or something, then go to UT and don't look back. But if we're talking about a full ride or close to a full ride, I'd go to Houston. But that's just me, and I think there is an argument to be made for both. I don't think its a landslide.
Another consideration to keep in mind: I think OP is a TX resident, so it's instate tuition at UT (32k/yr).

OP: I think UT is the best call if you want to do corporate work at a biglaw firm. You will have considerably more leeway in terms of what your class rank will need to be to be competitive for biglaw. That said UH on a close to full ride/full ride isn't a bad option.

ETA: You need to also try to see if UT will partially match UH's scholarship offer. They probably won't but it's worth the effort (make sure you wait to hear your scholarship offers from all schools though before seeing if UT will match at all, since UT only allows you to ask them once).

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:34 am

It's not even close because UofH got hit hard, really hard. From what I hear, OCI was brutal. And, being at SMU, I can tell you first-hand that the difference between UT and the secondary schools in the Texas market is massive.

TJISMYHERO

Bronze

Post by TJISMYHERO » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:39 pm

kalvano wrote:It's not even close because UofH got hit hard, really hard. From what I hear, OCI was brutal. And, being at SMU, I can tell you first-hand that the difference between UT and the secondary schools in the Texas market is massive.

UH 1L here, I don't know if the characterization of "brutal" is entirely true. My experience is entirely anecdotal, but most of the 2Ls I know, the majority of whom are in the top 1/4, got at least one OCI offer, some even had their choice of firms.

Without a doubt I still say go to UT though. I'm at the top of my class with a small scholly and I'm definitely throwing transfer apps out, including one to UT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:47 am

kalvano wrote:It's not even close because UofH got hit hard, really hard. From what I hear, OCI was brutal. And, being at SMU, I can tell you first-hand that the difference between UT and the secondary schools in the Texas market is massive.
I don't doubt that it is. But the difference between free and $140,000 is also massive, which is about what his COA would be even with in-state tuition.

pupperoni

New

Post by pupperoni » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:03 pm

lol why is this even a question. of course UT at sticker. U of H is not even worth considering if you got into UT.

hookem7

Bronze

Post by hookem7 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:57 pm

U of H won't have Case Keenum anymore, I'd go with UT

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:
I don't doubt that it is. But the difference between free and $140,000 is also massive, which is about what his COA would be even with in-state tuition.

Right. But the difference between opportunities from UT and UofH is so vast, it would be worth $140K.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

titan747

New

Post by titan747 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Houston would be a much smarter and safer investment. The debt load for UT at sticker would be devastating compared to going to U of H for basically free. I would go to Houston and network like a madman and hope for the best. That UT debt would make you a slave to your job, if you can get one in this legal market.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:38 pm

kalvano wrote:the difference between opportunities from UT and UofH is so vast, it would be worth $140K.

This is what I was thinking...especially if OP wants biglaw

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:47 pm

OP can literally do whatever the hell he wants with his career if he has zero law school debt. He is basically tied to biglaw from UT.

UT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UH for job prospects. But in this situation, I think people are drastically understimating the power of a free law degree.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP can literally do whatever the hell he wants with his career if he has zero law school debt. He is basically tied to biglaw from UT.

UT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UH for job prospects. But in this situation, I think people are drastically understimating the power of a free law degree.
You're assuming he can get a job in the first place.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:59 pm

kalvano wrote:
romothesavior wrote:OP can literally do whatever the hell he wants with his career if he has zero law school debt. He is basically tied to biglaw from UT.

You're assuming he can get a job in the first place.
So are you. I'd rather be jobless with no debt than jobless with 140k of it. I know UT is god in Texas but their employment data, while good, still makes sticker a questionable move.

All I'm saying is those of you saying its a slam dunk are wrong about that. Its close.

pupperoni

New

Post by pupperoni » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:51 pm

lol dude you go to WUSTL, get out of this thread. you do not attend UH, UT, nor do you live in texas so stop giving bad advice. OP needs to go to UT.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 pm

So I think we can agree that UT > UH. However, if you have a full ride + living expenses covered? I'd pick UH.

My reasoning is purely based upon anecdotes, though, so take it with a grain of salt. I know 2 3Ls at UH. One got a job in dc in some sort of government work and is pretty happy. The other got big law. I know 1 Texas graduate (class of 2011) and 2 3Ls at Texas. The graduate did not have a job for about 6 months after graduation and even then was underemployed. (She was right at below median.....just barely). 1 of the 3Ls has Big Law, the other is doing public interest but it's what they wanted to do.

Also.....which school would you rather attend? Which city would you rather live in? I think that matters here.

pupperoni

New

Post by pupperoni » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:37 pm

wow, more bad advice. 0Ls need to stop spouting bad advice that could potentially ruin someone's future career. i stopped reading after "based on anecdotal". do you realize how much of a gap there is between UT and UH in terms of placement and opportunities? it is not even comparable.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 pm

pupperoni wrote:wow, more bad advice. 0Ls need to stop spouting bad advice that could potentially ruin someone's future career. i stopped reading after "based on anecdotal". do you realize how much of a gap there is between UT and UH in terms of placement and opportunities? it is not even comparable.

It's possible to post a disagreement with someone without being a dick. I disagree with romo here, but obviously it's a personal choice, and we just have different viewpoints.

If you have something useful to say, say it. Are you in school in Texas? Do you go to UofH, UT, SMU, Tech, or any of the others? But just telling people to stop posting is not very helpful.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:45 pm

pupperoni wrote:wow, more bad advice. 0Ls need to stop spouting bad advice that could potentially ruin someone's future career. i stopped reading after "based on anecdotal". do you realize how much of a gap there is between UT and UH in terms of placement and opportunities? it is not even comparable.
You're a 0L. Not sure why you think you're such an authority.

That said, this comparison seems a little unfair. It's really UH full ride vs. UT in state. UH isn't "free" unless they give out some crazy stipend on their full rides; the guy is living with his parents presumably. The difference between the schools is less than 140k.

hookem12

Bronze

Post by hookem12 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:19 pm

UT.

Or top 10% of UH. But if I were in your shoes, I'd go for UT.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:23 pm

I'm a 2L, you're a 0L. If anyone needs to STFU, its you.
Last edited by romothesavior on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”