Law School or Job?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jzabl001

Law School or Job?

Postby jzabl001 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:11 am

I graduated back in 2010 and then immediately got an MBA, finishing this past September. I applied to law school thinking I wanted to do transactional law but got offered a job early this week at a Forex trader as an entry level-Jr. Trader/Business Developer. The job only pays about 40K a year but it's a solid first job with a good company and could hopefully lead to better things after 6 months to a year, whether there or at another financial institution. I have a business background so I'm thinking about taking it but will I be passing up potentially more money in 3 years by taking this job now. I know the job market is crap in the legal profession but I'd have to think it will be better at this time 3 years from now. Thoughts welcome

danitt

Re: Law School or Job?

Postby danitt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:22 am

jzabl001 wrote:I graduated back in 2010 and then immediately got an MBA, finishing this past September. I applied to law school thinking I wanted to do transactional law but got offered a job early this week at a Forex trader as an entry level-Jr. Trader/Business Developer. The job only pays about 40K a year but it's a solid first job with a good company and could hopefully lead to better things after 6 months to a year, whether there or at another financial institution. I have a business background so I'm thinking about taking it but will I be passing up potentially more money in 3 years by taking this job now. I know the job market is crap in the legal profession but I'd have to think it will be better at this time 3 years from now. Thoughts welcome

Law school isn't going anywhere. Take the job, work for a bit, make a dent in any debt you have or start saving and look at law school again in a couple of years. It won't hurt you to work is what I'm saying.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:23 am

Well, where have you gotten in, first off. Second, if they're T-14 schools, can you defer for a year. This isn't to say that it's T-14 or don't go, but you've got a grad degree already and a career that can lead to great things without the need for law school. I'd even say that if you haven't gotten into as good schools, waiting a year means another year of work experience (law schools love that), more money you've saved to pay for law school, and a prime chance to retake the LSAT and get a higher score to improve your chances.

In short, if you're into great schools, defer a year, see if you like trading, and if you want to go to law school, go next year. You'll have money saved up and built valuable contacts for future jobs. If you're not into as good schools, wait a year, reapply in the 2012-2013 cycle with a better LSAT, work experience, and other things and get into better schools.

jzabl001

Postby jzabl001 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 am

justicefishy wrote:Well, where have you gotten in, first off. Second, if they're T-14 schools, can you defer for a year. This isn't to say that it's T-14 or don't go, but you've got a grad degree already and a career that can lead to great things without the need for law school. I'd even say that if you haven't gotten into as good schools, waiting a year means another year of work experience (law schools love that), more money you've saved to pay for law school, and a prime chance to retake the LSAT and get a higher score to improve your chances.

In short, if you're into great schools, defer a year, see if you like trading, and if you want to go to law school, go next year. You'll have money saved up and built valuable contacts for future jobs. If you're not into as good schools, wait a year, reapply in the 2012-2013 cycle with a better LSAT, work experience, and other things and get into better schools.

I actually haven't gotten into any T-14 schools and was thinking exactly about deferring or even reapplying. My undergrad GPA isn't great (~3.0) so I figure a year of experience in the financial sector coupled with another shot or two at the LSAT will help me at better schools. Of course, the whole money making and potential to move up might making going to law school pointless.

justicefishy

Postby justicefishy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:31 am

jzabl001 wrote:
justicefishy wrote:Well, where have you gotten in, first off. Second, if they're T-14 schools, can you defer for a year. This isn't to say that it's T-14 or don't go, but you've got a grad degree already and a career that can lead to great things without the need for law school. I'd even say that if you haven't gotten into as good schools, waiting a year means another year of work experience (law schools love that), more money you've saved to pay for law school, and a prime chance to retake the LSAT and get a higher score to improve your chances.

I actually haven't gotten into any T-14 schools and was thinking exactly about deferring or even reapplying. My undergrad GPA isn't great (~3.0) so I figure a year of experience in the financial sector coupled with another shot or two at the LSAT will help me at better schools. Of course, the whole money making and potential to move up might making going to law school pointless.

Exactly! While we're slaving away as 1Ls you'll be making money hand over fist! If, after a year or a few years, you still want to do law school, go, go! But now, it just seems silly. Take the job, enjoy not being in debt, and have a great time!

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:33 am

jzabl001 wrote:

Speaking from experience, even when you start working and making good money, if you truly want to go to law school you will. I've been on the job for five years and I'm just starting the process because I know that this is what I want. So if law school is what you want, when the time comes you'll take the steps to get there.

Jante05

Postby Jante05 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:35 am

If your in the field and position you want to be in you should weigh your options. I would suggest taking a year or two off to save money and really buckle down for lsat. That's what I did.
I'm also employed ft at a job where my CJ degree is useless and I'm someone's go to person. I make a decent amount of $ and raise/bonuses are guaranteed at least 8-10% of salary pr year. But no self fulfillment and I've always wanted to be in this field, so the better choice for my future is LS. You have to ask yourself what it is you really want?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:36 am

With a low GPA, you need 2 years of work experience (MBA doesn't count) to be competitive for T-14 law schools.

jzabl001

Postby jzabl001 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:47 am

Jante05 wrote:If your in the field and position you want to be in you should weigh your options. I would suggest taking a year or two off to save money and really buckle down for lsat. That's what I did.
I'm also employed ft at a job where my CJ degree is useless and I'm someone's go to person. I make a decent amount of $ and raise/bonuses are guaranteed at least 8-10% of salary pr year. But no self fulfillment and I've always wanted to be in this field, so the better choice for my future is LS. You have to ask yourself what it is you really want?

The self-fufillment part will come later I feel. I have made very little money since graduation so this is an economical choice as much as it is a career choice. Again, the position is very sales oriented, which I'm not a huge fan of, but then again, most entry level finance positions are. Not to mention, I should be able to move up with time.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:20 pm

The finance job for a few years would really help your chances at getting a transactional job. So WE will help balance your law school choice slightly. It's a good move to get some experience.

smelltheglove

Postby smelltheglove » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Take the job my friend. Don't look back.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Good work experience definitely helps your applications and, honestly, helps you as a person.

The earlier posters were spot on when they said that law school will still be there and if you decide that it is for you, then you can obviously still go.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:The finance job for a few years would really help your chances at getting a transactional job. So WE will help balance your law school choice slightly. It's a good move to get some experience.

This. Friends I know with ANY kind of finance WE (even stuff they didn't think had any relevance to biglaw work) outperformed their grades at OCI.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”