Deferring Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
UtilityMonster

Deferring Law School

Postby UtilityMonster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 am

So, I need to defer for a few reasons and start school next year. What do you guys think about both accepting a deferral and then proceeding to take the LSAT again and reapplying, if a better school admits, backing out of the deferral?

Some schools don't make you sign any waiver for a deferral, while others make you sign a sheet that says "you cannot apply to other schools during deferral period." What do you think would happen if you actually did apply to schools after signing this sheet? What are the consequences of backing out of a deferral when you signed a sheet saying you would attend the school? How would the law school know if you applied to a different school?

barneytrouble

Re: Deferring Law School

Postby barneytrouble » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:06 am

dont do that. very stupid idea.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 am

UtilityMonster wrote:Some schools don't make you sign any waiver for a deferral, while others make you sign a sheet that says "you cannot apply to other schools during deferral period." What do you think would happen if you actually did apply to schools after signing this sheet? What are the consequences of backing out of a deferral when you signed a sheet saying you would attend the school? How would the law school know if you applied to a different school?

Don't assume that law schools don't share this kind of information. The top schools certainly share info on ED contracts and I would imagine they would share this kind of commitment as well. It's not worth getting blacklisted for applying when all of the other schools know you signed a contact somewhere else.

Just take a year off and reapply.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:44 am

With a 169/3.9, you're probably thinking about deferring from a T-14 & re-applying to other T-14s. My best guess is that your plan has been tried before & that the school (Duke ?) in question probably assumed that your ethics & common-sense were commensurate with your numbers.

LawperaMan

Postby LawperaMan » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:30 pm

If you retake the LSAT and ace it, withdraw from the school where you deferred before applying anywhere else.

From what I have read in interviews with law school admissions deans, some of them look at this pragmatically, and others feel like a stood-up prom date. Your new LSAT would have to be something special to mitigate the risk.

ColumbiaChamp

Postby ColumbiaChamp » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:37 pm

if you defer and you had to sign a contract that you will attend, they could sue you for three years worth of tuition. Though it is not likely, it has happened before and the schools won.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:37 pm

This sounds like that guy who got in to a school on a binding ED and tried to accept elsewhere. He ended up being blackballed everywhere.

If you're planing to retake, just reapply next year.

Postby 2014 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:13 pm

If you back out before your applications I think it would be alright but absolutely do not count on going to the school that you back out of, they will almost certainly not accept you next year if you bail on them after committing once.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Deans talk. This will come back to haunt you.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 am

Thanks for the input. You have convinced me that the potential costs far outweigh the benefits, so I'm not going to try it.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:27 am

Lots of stories ITT with no evidence.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”