T14...Layman Style (useless ranking ITT) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Transferthrowaway

Silver

Re: T14...Layman Style (useless ranking ITT)

Post by Transferthrowaway » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:29 am

Chicago is too high. People think Notre Dame is more impressive.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:36 am

thecactus wrote:
banjo wrote:Here's the lay list among Asian parents.

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Columbia (switch with Stanford if on east coast)
UPenn
Cornell
NYU
Berkeley (switch with NYU if on west coast)
Michigan
Chicago
Duke
Northwestern
Georgetown
Virginia
None of my parents' Asian friends know what NYU is. My friend's parents told him they thought his girlfriend was too smart for him, because she went to Cornell and he went to Duke, and he got pissed off and told them it was harder to get into Duke. Nobody believed him.

pupperoni

New

Post by pupperoni » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:46 am

lol that is hilarious

goldenboy8784

New

Post by goldenboy8784 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:46 am

Duke is very well known among Asian, especially Chinese, families. The undergraduate student body is like 20% Asian and it has a top 5 medical school (which Asians care a lot about admittedly).

Here's how people in D.C. would rank them:

1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Georgetown
4. Columbia
5. Stanford
6. Duke
7. Notre Dame
8. UVA
9. Northwestern
10. Vanderbilt

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:09 am

1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Princeton
4. Stanford
3. Alabama
4. Duke
5. California
6. Samford
7. Georgia
8. Tennessee
9. Florida
10. FSU

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:56 am

More than one person told me I was crazy for turning down Georgetown for Michigan.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:49 am

goldenboy8784 wrote:Duke is very well known among Asian, especially Chinese, families. The undergraduate student body is like 20% Asian and it has a top 5 medical school (which Asians care a lot about admittedly).
Any Ivy > Duke for Asians.

Taus11

New

Post by Taus11 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:42 pm

-
Last edited by Taus11 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:49 pm

Entchen wrote:More than one person told me I was crazy for turning down Georgetown for Michigan.
If some lay person presumed to give me law school advice, I would not respond politely.

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Everyone thinks you're crazy for turning down Georgetown. Even Cornell, a lot of people think of as the safety Ivy in general, but Georgetown undergrad is so highly regarded that pretty much anyone who isn't actively applying to jobs right now or does hiring for biglaw thinks of it as amazing.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm

bee wrote:
Taus11 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
goldenboy8784 wrote:Duke is very well known among Asian, especially Chinese, families. The undergraduate student body is like 20% Asian and it has a top 5 medical school (which Asians care a lot about admittedly).
Any Ivy > Duke for Asians.
No, Asians know Duke better than the ones like Dartmouth or Brown. (Obviously talking about undergrad, here)

PRINCETON LAW SCHOOL #1!!!
I beg to differ... in LA, at least, it's all the Ivies + Stanford > Berkeley > UCLA > Duke (if they've even heard of it).

I dunno why.
Admittedly, Asian parents' perception of prestige is highly relevant to this thread, as it's based almost solely on name recognition.
Last edited by moneybagsphd on Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Nobody wrote:Everyone thinks you're crazy for turning down Georgetown. Even Cornell, a lot of people think of as the safety Ivy in general, but Georgetown undergrad is so highly regarded that pretty much anyone who isn't actively applying to jobs right now or does hiring for biglaw thinks of it as amazing.
LAWL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:
Nobody wrote:Everyone thinks you're crazy for turning down Georgetown. Even Cornell, a lot of people think of as the safety Ivy in general, but Georgetown undergrad is so highly regarded that pretty much anyone who isn't actively applying to jobs right now or does hiring for biglaw thinks of it as amazing.
LAWL
Not sure what the LAWL was referring to, but just to clarify I just meant that everyone whose not really into this thinks that. If you tell people you're choosing between Michigan and Penn, they usually look totally bemused as to why you're going to two publics that are so far away, but as soon as you bring up Georgetown they leap all over it.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:48 pm

Nobody wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
LAWL
Not sure what the LAWL was referring to, but just to clarify I just meant that everyone whose not really into this thinks that. If you tell people you're choosing between Michigan and Penn, they usually look totally bemused as to why you're going to two publics that are so far away, but as soon as you bring up Georgetown they leap all over it.
But Georgetown undergrad isn't even that good. It's like Vanderbilt or UVA or UNC level, not even on Duke's level.

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Fair enough. It is on TV a lot though. :wink:

PrincetonBound

New

Post by PrincetonBound » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:23 pm

As a Midwesterner, Chicago/Michigan >> NYU/Columbia

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:04 pm

whitman wrote:
Nobody wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
LAWL
But Georgetown undergrad isn't even that good. It's like Vanderbilt or UVA or UNC level, not even on Duke's level.

Because that's not even that good. Fucking elitist.... :roll:

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:41 pm

whitman wrote:
Nobody wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
LAWL
Yeah agreed. Georgetown law is looked at way better than can even be justified by its undergrad. ND is a better undergrad than Georgetown but the law school doesn't have nearly the type of lay prestige. I think Georgetown is just overrated because of its privileged position as the best school in DC

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Plus there's really less of a strict hierarchy of undergrads than there is law schools. There's a little more room to go with vibe or preference. Barring money, when you hear someone goes to Georgetown law, you think "Oh, that is the best law school they got into," whereas for undergrad, you think "Oh, this person really likes DC."

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
whitman wrote:
Nobody wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:Everyone thinks you're crazy for turning down Georgetown. Even Cornell, a lot of people think of as the safety Ivy in general, but Georgetown undergrad is so highly regarded that pretty much anyone who isn't actively applying to jobs right now or does hiring for biglaw thinks of it as amazing.
LAWL

Because that's not even that good. Fucking elitist.... :roll:
Haha, sorry. Those are all as good or better than the undergrad I attended. I just meant it's not as good as the Harvardesque lay prestige would suggest. Those other schools I mentioned - Vanderbilt, UVA, UNC, etc - don't have that lay prestige for their law school, so I'm just puzzled about Georgetown's. But who cares anyways, right? Not sure why I'm posting on this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:04 pm

1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Georgetown
4. Columbia
5. Stanford
6. Duke
7. Notre Dame
8. UVA
9. Northwestern
10. Vanderbilt
Made me wonder, thought DC would put UVA and Vandy higher than ND and Duke.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:28 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:

1. Harvard
2. Yale
3. Georgetown
4. Columbia
5. Stanford
6. Duke
7. Notre Dame
8. UVA
9. Northwestern
10. Vanderbilt
Made me wonder, thought DC would put UVA and Vandy higher than ND and Duke.
Well I mean obviously this person can't speak for all of DC. Basically what we are learning in this thread is that UG prestige is what drives how people perceive the law school. Schools with great undergrad like ND and G'Town are probably going to get too much love, schools that are a little lesser known like UVa and Chicago won't do as well. And also a school like NYU that just has mediocre undergrad will also not do as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”