UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA (90k) or NU (most likely sticker)

UCLA
4
31%
Northwestern
9
69%
 
Total votes: 13

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Let me just put up a disclaimer that my cycle is not 100% over yet and I do plan to submit financial aid applications so I may not be ultimately faced with this choice. However, given that all my other options are likely to be WL/rejects at this point, I wanted to get some early opinions on what to do. Some factors in my decision:

1) I do want the supposed "national portability" of a T14 degree since I'm not sure yet where I want to work, but I'm not sure how true that remains these days and I'm not sure how un-portable a degree from UCLA is.
2) I do have a significant sum of $$$ saved up from WE that I can use to pay tuition to lessen the debt load (but not for all 3 years).
3) Biglaw is the goal.

Any input from TLS experts would be most appreciated!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Were are you from, where do you have significant ties, and where do you want to work.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Grizz wrote:Were are you from, where do you have significant ties, and where do you want to work.


From LA and lived in the bay area for 6-7 years. No legal industry ties anywhere though, but I do have professional ties in the bay area. As for where I want to work, no idea really. If I had to rank them then maybe NYC, Bay Area >> Chicago >> LA >>>>>> everywhere else. But honestly, no idea right now.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18407
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:53 pm

I think NU is definitely the far riskier choice, but if you want biglaw and NYC is one of your top choices (whereas LA is not), I would lean towards NU.

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby MormonChristian » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:58 pm

I vote take UCLA and the money honey.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:06 pm

bk1 wrote:I think NU is definitely the far riskier choice, but if you want biglaw and NYC is one of your top choices (whereas LA is not), I would lean towards NU.

Ya basically this, since you have ties to LA and the Bay Area you could feasibly target all of them through OCI, mass mailing, off-site interview fairs, etc. Good thing you have some savings which should offset the cost.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Grizz wrote:
bk1 wrote:I think NU is definitely the far riskier choice, but if you want biglaw and NYC is one of your top choices (whereas LA is not), I would lean towards NU.

Ya basically this, since you have ties to LA and the Bay Area you could feasibly target all of them through OCI, mass mailing, off-site interview fairs, etc. Good thing you have some savings which should offset the cost.


Thanks for the great feedback! I was wondering actually if ties = connections with lawyers? If that's the case, then I have no ties to anywhere really. If ties = professional contacts in general, then that I do have in the bay area in abundance.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:15 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
Grizz wrote:
bk1 wrote:I think NU is definitely the far riskier choice, but if you want biglaw and NYC is one of your top choices (whereas LA is not), I would lean towards NU.

Ya basically this, since you have ties to LA and the Bay Area you could feasibly target all of them through OCI, mass mailing, off-site interview fairs, etc. Good thing you have some savings which should offset the cost.


Thanks for the great feedback! I was wondering actually if ties = connections with lawyers? If that's the case, then I have no ties to anywhere really. If ties = professional contacts in general, then that I do have in the bay area in abundance.

Ties is basically anything that connects you to a region, not just the legal community, though that's good too. They range from weak (a few of my buddies live in XYZ) to stronger (I went to college/worked in XYZ) to probably the strongest (I grew up in XYZ).

RomaRomaRoma
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Would the consensus answer to this question change if OP got 90k to NU as well?
Last edited by RomaRomaRoma on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:22 pm

RomaRomaRoma wrote:Would the consensus answer to this question change of OP got 90k to NU as well?


Wouldn't this be great! Won't happen though...

User avatar
Killingly
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:17 am

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby Killingly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:23 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
RomaRomaRoma wrote:Would the consensus answer to this question change of OP got 90k to NU as well?


Wouldn't this be great! Won't happen though...


The answer is NYU!

RomaRomaRoma
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm looking at a similar situation, so I'm interested in a more head-to-head comparison..

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:25 pm

RomaRomaRoma wrote:I'm looking at a similar situation, so I'm interested in a more head-to-head comparison..

90k at UCLA and 90k at NU?

What do you want to do, where do you have personal ties, and where do you want to work

User avatar
cactuarX3
Posts: 686
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby cactuarX3 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:26 pm

Killingly wrote:
cactuarX3 wrote:
RomaRomaRoma wrote:Would the consensus answer to this question change of OP got 90k to NU as well?


Wouldn't this be great! Won't happen though...


The answer is NYU!


Killingly, I can always count on you for some NYU-related optimism!

RomaRomaRoma
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby RomaRomaRoma » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Work in NY, strong ties to Bay Area, NY..

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UCLA (90k) vs. NU (sticker)

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:43 pm

RomaRomaRoma wrote:Work in NY, strong ties to Bay Area, NY..

NU. UCLA isn't gonna help you much in NY.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], TheSpanishMain and 5 guests