Wake Forest (half-tuition) v. Uconn (Full Tuition)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Wake Forest (half-tuition) v. Uconn (Full Tuition)

Postby 101670944 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Wake Forest (half-tuition) v. UCONN (Full Tuition)?

Any opinions?

Lil Kev

Re: Wake Forest (half-tuition) v. Uconn (Full Tuition)

Postby Lil Kev » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:20 pm

If you're comfortable working in CT, I'd go with UConn (depending on the stips). Not sure how the legal market is there right now, though.

Postby 101670944 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:38 am

I'm most inclined to go to UCONN just because I am really into trying to avoid massive debt. I don't know that UCONN job prospects are good outside CT, but within the state the students seem to do well. The only stip at UCONN is 3.00 to renew scholarship, which is their median. I would like to pursue public interest so the chance of graduating with 60K of debt will definitely make this a possibility.

on the other hand,

I recently got admitted to UNC (which was my dream school). I'm just waiting on them to notify me of a scholarship offer. I applied in time for the Chancellor's Scholarship (full ride + stipend), but I'm not banking my hopes on receiving that.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 am

101670944 wrote:I'm most inclined to go to UCONN just because I am really into trying to avoid massive debt. I don't know that UCONN job prospects are good outside CT, but within the state the students seem to do well. The only stip at UCONN is 3.00 to renew scholarship, which is their median. I would like to pursue public interest so the chance of graduating with 60K of debt will definitely make this a possibility.

on the other hand,

I recently got admitted to UNC (which was my dream school). I'm just waiting on them to notify me of a scholarship offer. I applied in time for the Chancellor's Scholarship (full ride + stipend), but I'm not banking my hopes on receiving that.

If you're absolutely gonna do PI, you should definitely go with UConn over Wake Forest. No debt is what you should be looking for if you want to do PI and UConn has good clinics (like the Connecticut Urban Legal Initiative) and course offerings associated with PI. Personally, I don't think that your difference in tuition between Wake Forest and UConn is worth it.

The only issue is where you want to be. UConn is definitely more regional and while their grads do tend to do well, you're most likely going to be stuck in New England or even just CT. Wake Forest enjoys a broader national reputation as does UNC. Personally, UNC sounds like the best choice because their tuition is very low ($19k/year as a resident of NC, which you can be after a year at the very worse if you aren't already one), has very solid PI-focused clinics and course offerings, and it is ranked high enough and has the employment figures to warrant the financial difference between itself and UConn. Plus you said it's your dream school, so I think you should go where you'd be happiest and feel like you're not underachieving.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:17 pm

What are the stips, and what are the medians?

EDIT: I see them now. Was reading on I-phone earlier. I would do UConn, personally.
Last edited by spleenworship on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:30 pm

If you qualify for in-state tuition at UNC, then UNC is the best choice, in my opinion since stipulations are irrelevant.

LAFish

Postby LAFish » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:48 pm

personally, I would go to UNC in-state.

If not, go check Hartford and Winston-Salem out and see where you want to spend the next 7+ years of your life.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:02 pm

LAFish wrote:personally, I would go to UNC in-state.

If not, go check Hartford and Winston-Salem out and see where you want to spend the next 7+ years of your life.

I live and work in Hartford and grew up in CT, trust me when I say that you shouldn't check out Hartford because you'll just completely get the wrong view of it and choose Winston-Salem by default. If you go to UConn, you'll likely be spending much of your time in West Hartford (the school is technically in Hartford, but its students tend to socialize in West Hartford Center), which is affluent, beautiful and has bars filled with the finest of cougars and Trinity College talent.

But yeah, UNC in-state is still the way to go imho.

Postby 101670944 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:08 am

Thanks for the wide range of opinions!

I chose to apply to UNC because of their PI opportunities. Even though I am out-of-state in NC, the funny thing is that despite being a higher ranked university away from my home state of California, the estimated costs of attending UNC vs. attending a similarly ranked CA school still leaves UNC as the most cost efficient choice haha.

I'm going to have to wait for more financial information from UNC before I can make a decision. If I get half to full tuition at UNC, I'm likely to take it over UCONN.

the stips on the UCONN scholarship seem manageable but there is always the risk of losing it; with UNC scholarships the only requirement seems to be "good standing" which according to the financial aid office worker I spoke to means "eligible to enroll."

Thanks again everyone!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:24 am

Relocating is likely a poor decision. The full ride is nice, but staying in your home market is crucial for most students, especially if you dont get top grades. See what you can get out of UNC. Might even be worth a retake; a couple LSAT points can net you tens of thousands of dollars. I know if someone paid me tens of Gs to take a test, I'd do it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 am

Also, I'll add that if you are dead set on PI, keep LRAP and 10-year IBR in mind. Makes taking out more debt at a better school much more manageable, and even wise since your job prospects increase. Just a thought.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”