Suffolk vs. Kent

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Saint Yankee

Suffolk vs. Kent

Postby Saint Yankee » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:24 am

Live near Boston now and love it, but Kent seems to be a much better school (esp. in legal writing - my secondary area of interest). Any ideas/comments on job prospects in Boston vs. Chicago? From what I have been reading, both seem to have decent reputations in their respective cities but lack the national reach.

MrAnon

Re: Suffolk vs. Kent

Postby MrAnon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:56 am

Saint Yankee wrote:Live near Boston now and love it, but Kent seems to be a much better school (esp. in legal writing - my secondary area of interest). Any ideas/comments on job prospects in Boston vs. Chicago? From what I have been reading, both seem to have decent reputations in their respective cities but lack the national reach.

Think of it this way. Kent is the Suffolk of Chicago. Would you move to Chicago to attend to Suffolk?

checkster

Postby checkster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:27 pm

MrAnon wrote:
Saint Yankee wrote:Live near Boston now and love it, but Kent seems to be a much better school (esp. in legal writing - my secondary area of interest). Any ideas/comments on job prospects in Boston vs. Chicago? From what I have been reading, both seem to have decent reputations in their respective cities but lack the national reach.

Think of it this way. Kent is the Suffolk of Chicago. Would you move to Chicago to attend to Suffolk?

That is stupid. Kent and Suffolk are not comparable.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:03 pm

Its not stupid. They are very comparable.

Unfortunately however Suffolk is so bad it won't even publish employment stats online.

However does the fact that Kent places only 66% of its class in full time JD positions or 49% of its grads in law firms mean that it is the clear winner here?

The three year writing program at Kent is a marketing gimmick. If you need three years of legal writing courses then god help you.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:09 pm

Never forget, the Editor in Chief of the law review couldn't find work. Did he eventually find it? Yes, in biglaw even. But what happened to the rest of the law review staff?

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/01/inside-s ... -in-chief/

Return to “Choosing a Law School”