Florida v FSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
msblaw89

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:41 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Some people find Gainesville absolutely unbearable and that is a totally valid reason to go to FSU. The difference between the schools is there, but not enough to overcome being in a miserable location for 3 years.

Never heard UF being miserable? The law school or area?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Some people find Gainesville absolutely unbearable and that is a totally valid reason to go to FSU. The difference between the schools is there, but not enough to overcome being in a miserable location for 3 years.

Never heard UF being miserable? The law school or area?

Lots of people don't like it. It's a small college town rampant with undergrads. If you're still young it's definitely a lot of fun, but for people who have lived in cities and aren't into heavy drinking and sports, Gville can be sorely lacking. I went to UF because of the alumni base and my SO. For everyone, I believe the former to be incredibly important in an economy where being at median can make things difficult. Being able to reach out to such an affluent and loyal group has, from what I've heard from upperclassmen, paid dividends. But I digress.

clarion

Postby clarion » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:10 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:If cost is equal, would you call it a matter of preference between these two schools?

Matter of preference meaning what? If cost is equal, do not ever choose FSU. Resources/opportunities are much better at UF, as everyone in this thread has pretty much said.

UF law is just the better school in the state. Unless you want to work in Tally for the gov't.... UF has FSU beat in everything else... and it's not close

Yeah I'd probably agree with these guys. Though not necessarily in regard to the claim that "UF has FSU beat in everything else and it's not close." At least on the surface it would appear that UF would have the best chance of getting you into what you want to be in. Like, if you KNEW that gov't was what you wanted, I'd probably push you to go to FSU. But since you don't know and UF definitely seems to have the advantage of getting you into biglaw, and doesn't seem to be disadvantaged as far as getting you into gov't (assuming the difference in numbers is largely a result of self-selection into gov't from the Seminoles) I'd have to go with that. If cost was equal.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:24 am

FWIW, I turned down 24k from FSU to go to UF and I still honestly can't figure out what made me choose UF over FSU.

seancris

Postby seancris » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:38 am

msblaw89 wrote:I just graduated from UF undergrad, but I know ALOT about Levin. I went to UF roadmap and I have several friends who are 1Ls and 2Ls. UF just got done with a multimillion dollar project to build new facilities, which are really nice. There is a class of about 250 divided into three smaller sections. I here that the courses are pretty easy and require minimal effort... the legal research and writing class is apparently spoon fed to you. From what my friends say, the academic culture is pretty laid back..everyone is friendly and loves going to the games. UF Law does have a very tight alumni network that will chose a UF law grad over any other law grad any day. So, if you want to practice in Florida and you go to UF...you will have it made. But, UF and FSU are both very regional schools, so you chances at OOS are not so good..but probably better at UF.

Errr... this seems obviously wrong. Maybe some current students can adress this?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 pm

seancris wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:I just graduated from UF undergrad, but I know ALOT about Levin. I went to UF roadmap and I have several friends who are 1Ls and 2Ls. UF just got done with a multimillion dollar project to build new facilities, which are really nice. There is a class of about 250 divided into three smaller sections. I here that the courses are pretty easy and require minimal effort... the legal research and writing class is apparently spoon fed to you. From what my friends say, the academic culture is pretty laid back..everyone is friendly and loves going to the games. UF Law does have a very tight alumni network that will chose a UF law grad over any other law grad any day. So, if you want to practice in Florida and you go to UF...you will have it made. But, UF and FSU are both very regional schools, so you chances at OOS are not so good..but probably better at UF.

Errr... this seems obviously wrong. Maybe some current students can adress this?

It is not necessary to address someone who doesn't know the difference between a lot (real word) and alot (make believe). However, class size is not 250 but 300 (ours is currently sitting at 290), and the classes are not minimal effort. The LRW class can be fairly spoon-fed, but that's good considering it isn't pass/fail like it used to be.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:12 am

clarion wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:If cost is equal, would you call it a matter of preference between these two schools?

Matter of preference meaning what? If cost is equal, do not ever choose FSU. Resources/opportunities are much better at UF, as everyone in this thread has pretty much said.

UF law is just the better school in the state. Unless you want to work in Tally for the gov't.... UF has FSU beat in everything else... and it's not close

Yeah I'd probably agree with these guys. Though not necessarily in regard to the claim that "UF has FSU beat in everything else and it's not close." At least on the surface it would appear that UF would have the best chance of getting you into what you want to be in. Like, if you KNEW that gov't was what you wanted, I'd probably push you to go to FSU. But since you don't know and UF definitely seems to have the advantage of getting you into biglaw, and doesn't seem to be disadvantaged as far as getting you into gov't (assuming the difference in numbers is largely a result of self-selection into gov't from the Seminoles) I'd have to go with that. If cost was equal.

Neither of them give you a good shot at biglaw, and while UF places more people into large firms, it also has a larger class. As a ratio of students to placements, it's pretty much the same.

Alexdw85

Postby Alexdw85 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:41 pm

http://www.law.fsu.edu/placement/docume ... ntData.pdf

http://www.law.ufl.edu/career/employers ... statistics

UF does better with Big Law and they are the same after that, with maybe a slight advantage to FSU (prob due to Tallahassee being a better legal market.)

UF had more in Big Law. FSU had a better pct of graduates known to be employed fulltime at a job where bar passage is required. (70% to 62%). UF had more of an even distribution in law firm size, but FSU has a higher pct in firms larger than 100. They both had the same number of clerkships (12) though FSU has a smaller class.

IE: They are pretty much the same. UF is prob better for the top of the class, and FSU has a slight advantage for the rest. I would generally take the UF alumni network, but its not that big a deal. As has been stated on this site, they are generally the same.

PolySuyGuy

Postby PolySuyGuy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:01 pm

dillonjess wrote:Straightforward question: UF (Levin) or FSU?

I will be in-state eligible as a 2L and I have some connections in Florida.
Thoughts on campus life, job prospects, whatever else you think is important and have knowledge of.

just go with the best football team.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”