Florida v FSU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dillonjess
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Florida v FSU

Postby dillonjess » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:03 am

Straightforward question: UF (Levin) or FSU?

I will be in-state eligible as a 2L and I have some connections in Florida.
Thoughts on campus life, job prospects, whatever else you think is important and have knowledge of.

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby barneytrouble » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:34 pm

UF >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FSU

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:39 pm

I'd be wary of paying out of state for even a year at either school. Visit both and attend the one you feel more comfortable at; that overrides any split in prestige/jobs between the two. UF's alumni base is certainly a strong argument, however.

dillonjess
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby dillonjess » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:59 pm

Yea, not thrilled about out of state there but it still seems like a better idea for the three years total. Why specifically do you say wary?

Is alumni base the reason for the second comment? (barneytrouble)

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby Geaux12 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:48 pm

dillonjess wrote:Straightforward question: UF (Levin) or FSU?

I will be in-state eligible as a 2L and I have some connections in Florida.
Thoughts on campus life, job prospects, whatever else you think is important and have knowledge of.


I'm dealing with the same decision. I'm from Florida with extensive connections, however.

dillonjess
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby dillonjess » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Geaux12 wrote:
dillonjess wrote:Straightforward question: UF (Levin) or FSU?

I will be in-state eligible as a 2L and I have some connections in Florida.
Thoughts on campus life, job prospects, whatever else you think is important and have knowledge of.


I'm dealing with the same decision. I'm from Florida with extensive connections, however.


I was born in Miami and my family will be moving back this summer. Just curious, what defines extensive connections?

User avatar
Lil Kev
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby Lil Kev » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:04 pm

Wait, isn't it extremely difficult to get in-state at UF if you aren't a current resident? I thought I had read that.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:13 pm

dillonjess wrote:Yea, not thrilled about out of state there but it still seems like a better idea for the three years total. Why specifically do you say wary?

Is alumni base the reason for the second comment? (barneytrouble)


Because you're probably going to be over 100k in the hole if you have to pay for everything. That's simply a lot of money, and while it could be a good choice, it's why I maintain you proceed with caution.

I go to UF, and passed up a 20k scholarship from FSU to do so.

dillonjess
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby dillonjess » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:11 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
dillonjess wrote:Yea, not thrilled about out of state there but it still seems like a better idea for the three years total. Why specifically do you say wary?

Is alumni base the reason for the second comment? (barneytrouble)


Because you're probably going to be over 100k in the hole if you have to pay for everything. That's simply a lot of money, and while it could be a good choice, it's why I maintain you proceed with caution.

I go to UF, and passed up a 20k scholarship from FSU to do so.



True, but I dont see many options that leave me with significantly less to pay for. Either UF or FSU seem like the cheapest option. The other schools on my list are all reaches and most likely will offer no money. And there's a slim chance I could get in-state as 1L.

Why did you choose UF?

User avatar
clarion
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby clarion » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:01 pm

As a current undergrad at FSU who has many good friends at UF and thus visits often, I'd dare say that the difference between the two can be likened unto the difference between NYU and Columbia in NY (only distinct [obviously] due to the differences in prestige between the NY schools v. the FL schools). In other words, at the end of the day it will probably boil down MOSTLY to money offered and what kind of law you hope to go into. Also, whereas some people will say that NYU and Columbia are almost identical as far as their prestige and opportunities, others would never dare mention the two in the same sentence lol

Tallahassee and Gainesville are actually pretty similar cities except that Tally probably has more homeless people and FSU is more of a Greek campus than UF is (and so has a slightly different atmosphere at least as far as undergrads are concerned), while Gainesville (pretty much) just has less to do. Of course there are some other differences, but I mean, they're both college towns and though there are two universities in Tally, the fact that UF is GIGANTIC compared to both FSU and FAMU offsets that difference for the most part.

But yeah, maybe visiting both will give you a personal draw to one school or the other. For example, I know the LS at FSU is pretty far from everything in campus especially the union and gym, but don't know how it is at UF. Also, the main library at FSU is open 24 hours/5 days a week from Sunday (at noon) to Friday at 6 PM. So you know, maybe different things like that will make a huge difference to you? But generally, I'd say either would probably suit your needs. Hope that helps some! Also, though I'm not a student at the law school, if you have any questions about Tallahassee in general I'd be more than willing to answer :)

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:56 pm

Considered both schools last year. Was leaning FSU but for some subjective irrational reasons I admit. (the people I met there didn't suck). From my research both these schools were pretty even in job prospects, with UF winning in the arrogance category.

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby Bill Cosby » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:33 pm

I was admitted to both schools last cycle, ended up choosing FSU. I agree with others in the thread that the best idea is to tour both. See which one you like better, or just take the one that ends up being cheaper.

barneytrouble
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby barneytrouble » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Considered both schools last year. Was leaning FSU but for some subjective irrational reasons I admit. (the people I met there didn't suck). From my research both these schools were pretty even in job prospects, with UF winning in the arrogance category.


Your research was not very diligent then. UF is unquestionably a better school when it comes to legal employment.

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby Geaux12 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:I was admitted to both schools last cycle, ended up choosing FSU. I agree with others in the thread that the best idea is to tour both. See which one you like better, or just take the one that ends up being cheaper.



What was it about FSU that made you decide to attend over UF?


I'm dealing with this decision now. Attending ASD on the 24th. Both schools at in-state sticker (as of now).

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:07 pm

I just graduated from UF undergrad, but I know ALOT about Levin. I went to UF roadmap and I have several friends who are 1Ls and 2Ls. UF just got done with a multimillion dollar project to build new facilities, which are really nice. There is a class of about 250 divided into three smaller sections. I here that the courses are pretty easy and require minimal effort... the legal research and writing class is apparently spoon fed to you. From what my friends say, the academic culture is pretty laid back..everyone is friendly and loves going to the games. UF Law does have a very tight alumni network that will chose a UF law grad over any other law grad any day. So, if you want to practice in Florida and you go to UF...you will have it made. But, UF and FSU are both very regional schools, so you chances at OOS are not so good..but probably better at UF.
As far as Gainesville is concerned, it is a collegetown...but a very BIG one. We have 5 huge(nice) gyms in the area, a nice mall, and only about an hour and a half away from orlando. There are countless restaurants everything from every fast food chain, to REALLY fine dining. The midtown area is where most of the Greeks and younger crowd go since it is 18+, but there are some really fun bars. Downtown is always 21+ so it is more sophisticated/dress to impress. They have a dueling piano bar, a really neat wine tasting bar, lots of specialty beer houses, and some of the best restaurants around town. There are also about 6 grocery stores within a 6 mile radius...I guess we like out food. If you are into outdoorsy stuff, there is a place called ginnie springs tons of students go to. You can cave dive, or rent a tube and float down the crystal clear water. And of course game days are insane.

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby Geaux12 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:31 pm

msblaw89


As someone graduating from LSU, I'm going to have to bust your bubble and say that gamedays in Gainesville are tame by SEC standards :lol:

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Geaux12 wrote:
msblaw89


As someone graduating from LSU, I'm going to have to bust your bubble and say that gamedays in Gainesville are tame by SEC standards :lol:


Haha okay I'll give you that...but the Swamp can still get pretty crazy

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby Geaux12 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:58 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:
msblaw89


As someone graduating from LSU, I'm going to have to bust your bubble and say that gamedays in Gainesville are tame by SEC standards :lol:


Haha okay I'll give you that...but the Swamp can still get pretty crazy



Agreed. The only venue I've watched my Tigers play in that even rivaled Death Valley was the Swamp. A big reason I'm leaning towards UF over FSU is that I'll be able to catch at least two LSU games over the course of my 3 years, and can have friends from Baton Rouge stay with me. Sad, but true.

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:50 am

Geaux12 wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:I was admitted to both schools last cycle, ended up choosing FSU. I agree with others in the thread that the best idea is to tour both. See which one you like better, or just take the one that ends up being cheaper.



What was it about FSU that made you decide to attend over UF?


I'm dealing with this decision now. Attending ASD on the 24th. Both schools at in-state sticker (as of now).


Cost. FSU offered a scholarship, while UF didn't offer anything.

arigoldwannabe
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby arigoldwannabe » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:31 am

I'm a 1L at FSU.

If you look at the detailed employment statistics, I will even admit that firm placement is going to be better at UF (Firms w/ 501+, UF had 27 students and FSU had about 10-12). Also, UF is a bigger and older school, so the alumni network is probably better. This would probably help out with clerkships, because I would bet my life savings that there are more UF judges.

With that said, I would venture to say there is a bit of self selection towards government work for FSU students. If thats what you are looking for, I would take FSU 10 times out of 10. No one can deny that being in Tallahassee has its perks.

Someone above mentioned something about UF doing renovations. Well, if you come visit, I'm sure the tour guide will take you into the new advocacy center (old 1st DCA courthouse). Its a nice addition.

Regardless of where you go, you need to realize that both schools wont be great for outside of florida. If you happen to do well and hit the top 10%, you will have a great shot at big firm placement at either. If not, it will be about who you know and how you can sell yourself. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.


Sources:
http://www.law.fsu.edu/placement/employment_data.html
--LinkRemoved--

JamesChapman23
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby JamesChapman23 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:42 am

Don't go to law school.

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks for the replies (excluding JamesChapman23). As of now I've received 27k from UF, and just received my scholarship application to FSU. I'm really not sure what direction I want to pursue career wise, as both government and large in-state firms interest me. I guess it'll come down to money and how I like my visits this week.

If cost is equal, would you call it a matter of preference between these two schools?

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12569
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby jessuf » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:47 am

Geaux12 wrote:If cost is equal, would you call it a matter of preference between these two schools?


Matter of preference meaning what? If cost is equal, do not ever choose FSU. Resources/opportunities are much better at UF, as everyone in this thread has pretty much said.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:32 pm

Jessuf wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:If cost is equal, would you call it a matter of preference between these two schools?


Matter of preference meaning what? If cost is equal, do not ever choose FSU. Resources/opportunities are much better at UF, as everyone in this thread has pretty much said.


UF law is just the better school in the state. Unless you want to work in Tally for the gov't.... UF has FSU beat in everything else... and it's not close

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: Florida v FSU

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Some people find Gainesville absolutely unbearable and that is a totally valid reason to go to FSU. The difference between the schools is there, but not enough to overcome being in a miserable location for 3 years.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bach-City, Emilysni88, Thomas Hagan, ESQ. and 3 guests