Should I consider Loyola Law School Los Angeles?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grizz

Re: Should I consider Loyola Law School Los Angeles?

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:45 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:You have nothing to lose by taking a year off after graduating. I know it sounds scary as a senior/junior in college, but trust me - look at my situation.

I was a poli sci major (albeit high GPA at a top-25 school). I was dead set on law school and was scoring in the high 150's. It was really depressing. there was a lot of pressure from my parents to just go to southwestern or to go sticker at loyola or pepp. I was close to giving in. But then i let the feb LSAT pass and pretty much set myself up for taking a year off.

I spent the rest of my senior beefing up my resume by working as a research analyst and by taking courses in excel, etc. I interview well - so take this with a grain of salt - but I landed a job making $80k (worst time in history to graduate, mind you) right after graduating. had never held a real job prior to it.

I decided to give studying the LSAT another try and started going on these forums. I learned about the LGB and LRB, and seriously busted my ass...and I know people say they "study" for the LSAT, but I'm talking about eating, shitting and sleeping LSAT. Getting deep with the questions and getting to a point where I knew the answer before I finished the question. This is from a diag in the 140's. I ended up scoring in the mid/low 160's...now i'm sitting on a $96k scholarship from loyola, money from pepperdine, and acceptances from hastings and *hopefully soon* UCI.

Point of that story: don't sell yourself short. the LSAT can be conquered...but with your diag, i'm gonna tell u right now you're gona have to put in extraodrinary work, but it can be done.

Also - if you get a 162 on gameday, with a 3.7 GPA, you'll get into Loyola with at least $20-$30k anyway, if not more...so I don't know what you're talking about.

You should probably still sit on your 80k job. You're making more than the majority of people who graduate from all those schools.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:16 pm

Grizz wrote:You should probably still sit on your 80k job. You're making more than the majority of people who graduate from all those schools.

+1

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:41 am

bingbang1025 wrote:Also - if you get a 162 on gameday, with a 3.7 GPA, you'll get into Loyola with at least $20-$30k anyway, if not more...so I don't know what you're talking about.

Strictly a 162+? I thought you needed 165+ or something to get a big scholarship from LLS.

Postby 071816 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:17 am

notaznguy wrote:
bingbang1025 wrote:Also - if you get a 162 on gameday, with a 3.7 GPA, you'll get into Loyola with at least $20-$30k anyway, if not more...so I don't know what you're talking about.

Strictly a 162+? I thought you needed 165+ or something to get a big scholarship from LLS.

Definitely not.

Look at lawschoolnumbers.com. Most people with 3.5+, 161+ got money at LLS last cycle. Also, I heard they relaxed the stips on their scholarships this year.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:36 am

20-30k at LLS still makes it what, a $120,000 degree? Maybe more? Horrible investment for almost everyone who goes there.

Postby 071816 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:43 am

romothesavior wrote:20-30k at LLS still makes it what, a $120,000 degree? Maybe more? Horrible investment for almost everyone who goes there.

Yea. OP probably shouldn't even consider going unless he gets one of the 96k top 50% scholarships that they are giving out this year. At that point, it may be worthwhile for some people (although probably not the person with the 80k per year job who posted above).

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:20-30k at LLS still makes it what, a $120,000 degree? Maybe more? Horrible investment for almost everyone who goes there.

i meant 20-30k a year. i got just under $100k

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:19 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:

I knew what I was saying when I said it. COA at LLS pushes 70k per year. I was actually being nice with my $120,000 figure, because it could be more than that if your scholly is only 20k/year. If going to school for three years at LLS costs ~$210,000 (not even counting the interest that will accrue), then a 30k/year scholarship makes it about $120,000 give or take. Not even remotely worth the investment.

Don't be duped by the pretty scholarship totals. Getting a scholarship at a pricey, crappy school doesn't make it worth it. It would be like if I priced my 1996 Pontiac Grand Am at $20,000 and then gave you a $10,000 discount to buy it. You wouldn't be getting a deal. It's still a shitty car, and you are way overpaying for it.

tliles

Postby tliles » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:10 am

romothesavior wrote:
bingbang1025 wrote:

I knew what I was saying when I said it. COA at LLS pushes 70k per year. I was actually being nice with my $120,000 figure, because it could be more than that if your scholly is only 20k/year. If going to school for three years at LLS costs ~$210,000 (not even counting the interest that will accrue), then a 30k/year scholarship makes it about $120,000 give or take. Not even remotely worth the investment.

Don't be duped by the pretty scholarship totals. Getting a scholarship at a pricey, crappy school doesn't make it worth it. It would be like if I priced my 1996 Pontiac Grand Am at $20,000 and then gave you a $10,000 discount to buy it. You wouldn't be getting a deal. It's still a shitty car, and you are way overpaying for it.

I really love analogies.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bingbang1025 wrote:

Pushes $70k/year? WTF? That doesn't sound right. I guess my situation is a bit different because I'd likely be living at home during law school anyway, so cut $30k off that.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:44 pm

bingbang1025 wrote:Pushes $70k/year? WTF? That doesn't sound right. I guess my situation is a bit different because I'd likely be living at home during law school anyway, so cut $30k off that.

Tuition is 42k and climbing and COL is estimated at over 20k. The TLS article cites 67k/year, and I wouldn't be surprised if the article is a few years old (most of them are). 70k is probably on the extreme high end, but no need quibbling over a few grand when we're talking about a degree that expensive. Living at home certainly helps, but I would avoid LLS like the plague without a full ride. I suppose if you're living at home with a half scholly, that's not terrible though.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bingbang1025 wrote:Pushes $70k/year? WTF? That doesn't sound right. I guess my situation is a bit different because I'd likely be living at home during law school anyway, so cut $30k off that.

Tuition is 42k and climbing and COL is estimated at over 20k. The TLS article cites 67k/year, and I wouldn't be surprised if the article is a few years old (most of them are). 70k is probably on the extreme high end, but no need quibbling over a few grand when we're talking about a degree that expensive. Living at home certainly helps, but I would avoid LLS like the plague without a full ride. I suppose if you're living at home with a half scholly, that's not terrible though.

COL in Los Angeles is definitely not 20k a year. For one, you don't have to necessarily live in Los Angeles. You can live in nearby Pasadena or Monterey Park. You'll definitely have to commute though and it can be a 30 min to 1 hour commute depending on traffic and time of day.

I currently live in West Los Angeles and am sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 other people. The total package for me, including parking, room, utilities, and food, comes out to be $750 a month.

Postby 071816 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:05 pm

notaznguy wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

COL in Los Angeles is definitely not 20k a year. For one, you don't have to necessarily live in Los Angeles. You can live in nearby Pasadena.

I currently live in West Los Angeles and am sharing a 2 bedroom apartment with 3 other people. The total package for me, including parking, room, utilities, and food, comes out to be $750 a month.

It can be, but that's only if you are really frivolous with your money and don't live like a student (e.g. one of those morons who takes out maximum loans to live in a really nice place during law school). I currently live in Los Angeles and my COL is going to be around 9k for the year (12 month period, not academic year). You have to be smart about it and minimize costs if possible.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”