St. John's Full Scholly vs. W&L $15,500

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

St. John's Full Scholly (Good Academic Standard 2.1 GPA)
68%
W & L $15,500 3.1 stip (top 70% class)
32%

Total votes: 22

answer23

Postby answer23 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:05 pm

--
Last edited by answer23 on Sun May 27, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Re: St. John's Full Scholly vs. W&L $15,500

Postby MrAnon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:34 pm

There's no guarantee you'll make greater than your current salary coming out of either school. I'm not even sure the odds are high.

If you have to go to law school, I would go to St. Johns. I believe you'll find more opportunities in NYC than in Virginia, or DC as some would have it.

I've heard that median at a decent t30 as an aa male would still have a decent shot at big law

This is not true. Its a common misconception. AA boosts do not extend to hiring out of schools outside the T14.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:55 pm

MrAnon wrote:There's no guarantee you'll make greater than your current salary coming out of either school. I'm not even sure the odds are high.

If you have to go to law school, I would go to St. Johns. I believe you'll find more opportunities in NYC than in Virginia, or DC as some would have it.

I've heard that median at a decent t30 as an aa male would still have a decent shot at big law

This is not true. Its a common misconception. AA boosts do not extend to hiring out of schools outside the T14.

I find it hard to believe that more than half the students at W&L can't find a job that pays more than 40k per year after 9 months of graduation. I think that the some of the advice on here is completely wrong headed. I was told that I had no chance at a T50 and now I'm seating on a T30 offer with money. I'll like to hear some more realistic advice. Can the people who voted explain why?

smelltheglove

Postby smelltheglove » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:08 am

answer23 wrote:I'll like to hear some more realistic advice.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 am

answer23 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:There's no guarantee you'll make greater than your current salary coming out of either school. I'm not even sure the odds are high.

I find it hard to believe that more than half the students at W&L can't find a job that pays more than 40k per year after 9 months of graduation. I think that the some of the advice on here is completely wrong headed. I was told that I had no chance at a T50 and now I'm seating on a T30 offer with money. I'll like to hear some more realistic advice. Can the people who voted explain why?

I didn't say that much but here are some stats from W&L that you can believe.

9 months after graduation 80% of the class had permanent employment.
9 months after graduation 29% of the class worked in law firms.
9 months after graduation 12% of the class worked for firms with over 100 lawyers.
9 months after graduation 48% of the class made over $50k

Source: http://law.wlu.edu/deptimages/Admission ... 0Month.pdf

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:15 am

Anon is right. You are likely looking at a financial loss if you go to law school. I'd say St. John's but your options are poor.

answer23

Postby answer23 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:58 am

MrAnon wrote:
answer23 wrote:

I didn't say that much but here are some stats from W&L that you can believe.

9 months after graduation 80% of the class had permanent employment.
9 months after graduation 29% of the class worked in law firms.
9 months after graduation 12% of the class worked for firms with over 100 lawyers.
9 months after graduation 48% of the class made over $50k

Source: http://law.wlu.edu/deptimages/Admission ... 0Month.pdf

How did you come up with that? Out of 111 graduates with firm jobs 72% made $50k or more and only 28% made $50k or less.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:13 am

123 people graduated from the school.

36 got law firm jobs.

59 grads made $50k or more. Nowhere does it say how these 59 grads were employed. But most definitely they were not all in law firms.

Note that the school itself is paying 13 of its students at 9 months after graduation. It is possible the school is paying them $50k and thus that accounts for 13 of the 59.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 am

You also have to account for the 120k you would have made not going to law school, in addition to your debt. If you come out of law school making 40k in a crappy legal job (which even this is tough to do at these schools), then it will take you a long time to financially break even on your law school investment.

As an AA, your biggest boost is going to be admissions-related. So you should retake the LSAT. When you say "maxed out," do you mean you cannot take it at all? Or do you mean you just will not because you don't want to? A low to mid 160s score will change your entire career outlook.
Last edited by romothesavior on Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:19 am

dept?

jozzy22

Postby jozzy22 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Grizz wrote:dept?

LOL

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:38 pm

Big law and St. John's aren't really a match. I passed on the school with the same scholly. The student's there were miserable and most of them jobless 3L year. They all told me if they gotten into Dozo or Brooklyn they wouldn't be there. Big law opportunity at SJ law may be top 5 and not top 5% but top 5 students. That may be a stretch. There is a large and loyal alumni base at SJ law, but no way they can pull a median or top 30% student in ahead of a T-30 grad. St. John's is the 6th best school in the New York City, and competing against T-30 grads you will have a rough road to climb. I don't know much about W&L, but that's my opinion about SJ Law.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 pm

blacklawboss wrote:Big law and St. John's aren't really a match. I passed on the school with the same scholly. The student's there were miserable and most of them jobless 3L year. They all told me if they gotten into Dozo or Brooklyn they wouldn't be there. Big law opportunity at SJ law may be top 5 and not top 5% but top 5 students. That may be a stretch. There is a large and loyal alumni base at SJ law, but no way they can pull a median or top 30% student in ahead of a T-30 grad. St. John's is the 6th best school in the New York City, and competing against T-30 grads you will have a rough road to climb. I don't know much about W&L, but that's my opinion about SJ Law.

If you ask the Dozo or BLS people they're probably very unhappy as well.

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Grizz wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:Big law and St. John's aren't really a match. I passed on the school with the same scholly. The student's there were miserable and most of them jobless 3L year. They all told me if they gotten into Dozo or Brooklyn they wouldn't be there. Big law opportunity at SJ law may be top 5 and not top 5% but top 5 students. That may be a stretch. There is a large and loyal alumni base at SJ law, but no way they can pull a median or top 30% student in ahead of a T-30 grad. St. John's is the 6th best school in the New York City, and competing against T-30 grads you will have a rough road to climb. I don't know much about W&L, but that's my opinion about SJ Law.

If you ask the Dozo or BLS people they're probably very unhappy as well.

Great point, then I will pat myself on the back for not choosing either :lol: You make a great point,.... Image being lower on the totem pole than those guys :?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”