UC Hastings v. UC San Diego v. Santa Clara v. Loyola HELPPP

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bessmarvin89

Re: UC Hastings v. UC San Diego v. Santa Clara v. Loyola HELPPP

Postby bessmarvin89 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:42 pm

calilaw wrote:UC Hastings is your only good option. Loyola is a distant second, if you plan on staying in the LA area and get considerable $$ and are willing to put up with any stipulations they may have (i.e. risk of substantial debt)

Yeah I kind of want to stay in LA. If I go to Hastings do I have a shot to work in LA? Or am i better off at Loyola if I want to work in LA ?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:46 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:Oh I'm sorry Asshole, I din't see YOU listed in the genius of the year book. How dare you put down somebody for the school's they're considering? Are you me Bitch? Do you know what the fuck I went through with my life asshat? Do you have any idea about me? HELL FUCKING NO. Before you fucking go around talking about people and their schools, for a second use that brain of yours to do things like fucking THINK! Take your opinion and choke on it.

bessmarvin89 wrote:IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE RUDE like the Pompous Asshole before, please do me a favor and don't even reply. This post was to get opinions, you know those pesky little experience statements? NOT for you to judge the schools I applied to or me. If you try and judge someone based off something like the schools they chose and try to make them feel bad, it makes you the jackass not them. Sorry i'm mad, this is a humble request. Thanks

LOL

Srsly though don't go to any of those at those prices due to bad job prospects.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:56 pm

I'm judging you because of the schools that you're considering. They're not very good.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:
calilaw wrote:UC Hastings is your only good option. Loyola is a distant second, if you plan on staying in the LA area and get considerable $$ and are willing to put up with any stipulations they may have (i.e. risk of substantial debt)

Yeah I kind of want to stay in LA. If I go to Hastings do I have a shot to work in LA? Or am i better off at Loyola if I want to work in LA ?

I would be more concerned by the fact that for both schools over half the 2009 class is not reporting their salary. I wouldn't expect to be in a position where you can pick where you want to work in CA. What other east coast schools did you get into? Did you get into Davis? You need to get scholarship offers from peer schools so you can leverage Hastings into giving you money.

smelltheglove

Postby smelltheglove » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:07 pm

SLS, Berk, UCLA, or USC if you want Cali. That is all.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:12 pm

I see where this is going... RETAKE.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:21 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:I see where this is going... RETAKE.

And ED UVA!

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:43 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:

If you really want LA, Loyola is probably a better option (holding everything else constant). Hastings historically has pretty good statewide reach, but in the current job market Hastings grads are probably more restricted geographically, and I would not go there if you're sure you want an LA job. Either way, you may be forced to settle for a job outside your preferred location.

Furthermore, if these are your school options, take money offers seriously and be prepared to work your ass off to assure a decent ranking.

Postby 071816 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Great entertainment law at Loyola = no way jose.

There's no great entertainment law anywhere. Don't fall into that trap. Also, don't go to Loyola without scholarship money and beware of the stips on any scholarship you get. Hastings/Davis with a scholarship/grant would be decent options. Don't go to Santa Clara or USD without a significant scholarship. I know SCU is extremely stingy with scholarship money though so you likely shouldn't consider them.

As far as working in Los Angeles, I think you're better off at Hastings than Loyola, but it's a very close call. UCI is sort of a black box, but better than the other options you mentioned.

Also, working ass off =/= decent ranking.

ETA: don't go to McGeorge.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 pm

calilaw wrote:Furthermore, if these are your school options, take money offers seriously and be prepared to work your ass off to assure a decent ranking.

Unfortunately, working hard doesn't even assure you that. The margin of error of those schools at those prices is insane. Just don't do it.

smelltheglove

Postby smelltheglove » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 pm

Grizz wrote:don't do it.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:40 am

I was coming here to give advice, ended up with endless lols. thank you.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:41 am

bessmarvin89 wrote:
OMG Dear Apollo2015 Thank you for your message. I was very inclined on Hastings when i received the acceptance I was ecstatic. Then there was trouble in paradise. I swear the things I heard of the "hood" scared the hell out of me. I got told I'll get mugged easy. Homeless and drug addicts troll around looking to prey on girls like me. Thank you.

lol. if homeless people scare you, definitely don't go to hastings.

zx92027xz

Postby zx92027xz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:58 am

bessmarvin89 wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:
Danteshek wrote::roll:

I love the balanced, unbiased analysis in the previous post.

My point is that OP is considering TTs, but for whatever reason thinks they're too good for UCI. UCI is undoubtedly better than USD, SCU, Pepperdine, and Loyola. Also, full disclosure: I don't go to UCI.

Oh I'm sorry Asshole, I din't see YOU listed in the genius of the year book. How dare you put down somebody for the school's they're considering? Are you me Bitch? Do you know what the fuck I went through with my life asshat? Do you have any idea about me? HELL FUCKING NO. Before you fucking go around talking about people and their schools, for a second use that brain of yours to do things like fucking THINK! Take your opinion and choke on it.

that escalated quickly.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:31 am

moneybagsphd wrote:

My point is that OP is considering TTs, but for whatever reason thinks they're too good for UCI. UCI is undoubtedly better than USD, SCU, Pepperdine, and Loyola. Also, full disclosure: I don't go to UCI.

Disagree.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:32 am

None. Retake or don't go. These are terrible options that all likely lead to getting debtpwned.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:30 pm

UCSD.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:58 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:

Oh I'm sorry Asshole, I din't see YOU listed in the genius of the year book. How dare you put down somebody for the school's they're considering? Are you me Bitch? Do you know what the fuck I went through with my life asshat? Do you have any idea about me? HELL FUCKING NO. Before you fucking go around talking about people and their schools, for a second use that brain of yours to do things like fucking THINK! Take your opinion and choke on it.

People here are trying to help you. These schools are not easy choices. They offer job prospects that do not measure up to the costs. You came here for advice and you are getting it. It may not meet your hopes dreams and expectations but that is the reality of the situation. Try going on a car buyers forum and asking if you should buy a Honda Accord for the price of an Aston Martin.

xwing_redleader

Postby xwing_redleader » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:04 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
bessmarvin89 wrote:Dear all,

So I got accepted into a bunch of schools on the East Coast which are definite no's because I want to move to CA. In CA my choices are:
UC Hastings- Pro- good ranking, program, helpful faculty, excellent career services con- bad neighborhood, not trying to die
U of San Diego- Pro - SOLID weather, good reputation in SD Con- bad reviews of no jobs/ less jobs :(
Loyola Los Angeles- Pro- LOS ANGELES baby! JK.. Great entertainment law Con- Bad area, no job certainty
Santa Clara- Pro- great IP program, good location Con- competes with Hastings for jobs in bay area
McGeorge- Pro- 25K $$$ no stipulations, helpful people, good reputation in area Con- ranked like a 100

I am so overwhelmed and now I am so confused. I definitely want to go to a good school but I cannot pick. Please let me know what you think and how you would decide. Thank you for all your help in advance.

I was also choosing between many of the schools you are considering. I ultimately decided on UC Hastings, because of everything I've heard about their strong alumni network, great reputation, their wonderful programs, and their extremely centralized location. Getting a job after I graduate is important to me. Also, the UC (University of California) brandname is very highly thought of in California.

Don't let the reputation of the Tenderloin scare you away from Hastings. When I was a kid I would visit there at least once a week, and never felt threatened. Hastings is one block away from BART and the Muni Metro Subway, which will take you almost anywhere you want to go in the City. Moreover, the affluent and safe downtown is just 4 blocks away. (Aka, one subway station away.) The new headquarters of Twitter will be 3 blocks away in the other direction.

Think about this apollo2015, do you really want this person representing UC Hastings? :)

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:20 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:
moneybagsphd wrote:

I usually encourage people to apply to or attend UCI, but fit is important and I get the impression OP is not a good fit. Of course, online personas can be deceiving.

kerflux

Postby kerflux » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:39 am

bessmarvin89 wrote:Oh I'm sorry Asshole, I din't see YOU listed in the genius of the year book. How dare you put down somebody for the school's they're considering? Are you me Bitch? Do you know what the fuck I went through with my life asshat? Do you have any idea about me? HELL FUCKING NO. Before you fucking go around talking about people and their schools, for a second use that brain of yours to do things like fucking THINK! Take your opinion and choke on it.

lol, I remember my first period

Return to “Choosing a Law School”