2013 US News & World Report Law School Rankings Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Diamond

Re: 2013 US News & World Report Law School Rankings

Post by 20160810 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Bear in mind there is no "t25." It doesn't really matter whether, for instance, UIUC or UC Davis are ranked ahead of or behind one another in any given year because they are peer schools which place in different regions. There are a whole bunch of schools starting at probably WUSTL and ending somewhere in the Hastings/Florida range that are about as good as one another. Yearly fluctuations in rankings do not, repeat, do not matter.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:38 pm

SBL wrote:Bear in mind there is no "t25." It doesn't really matter whether, for instance, UIUC or UC Davis are ranked ahead of or behind one another in any given year because they are peer schools which place in different regions. There are a whole bunch of schools starting at probably WUSTL and ending somewhere in the Hastings/Florida range that are about as good as one another. Yearly fluctuations in rankings do not, repeat, do not matter.
I've seen a couple job postings that, for whatever reason, state they want applicants from "top 25 schools."

I'm not even sure what they meant by that (as in, US News top 25 in the last year alone, the last 5 years, or what?).

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:02 pm

splitbrain wrote:
SBL wrote:Bear in mind there is no "t25." It doesn't really matter whether, for instance, UIUC or UC Davis are ranked ahead of or behind one another in any given year because they are peer schools which place in different regions. There are a whole bunch of schools starting at probably WUSTL and ending somewhere in the Hastings/Florida range that are about as good as one another. Yearly fluctuations in rankings do not, repeat, do not matter.
I've seen a couple job postings that, for whatever reason, state they want applicants from "top 25 schools."

I'm not even sure what they meant by that (as in, US News top 25 in the last year alone, the last 5 years, or what?).
It means those employers don't know very much about law school rankings. The longer you go in law school, the more you'll come to realize that such things in job postings can and should be ignored (like those grade cutoffs listed by firms in their OCI profiles).

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:34 pm

+1

UC davis is also a prime example of why rankings are retarded. They went from #44 in 2008 to #23 or "t25" last year. Does anyone really think there was some significant change at Davis between 2008 and 2011?

Hjones33

Bronze

Post by Hjones33 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:35 pm

splitbrain wrote:

Probably referring to Football or Basketball top 25 polls.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:40 am

Errzii wrote:
+1

UC davis is also a prime example of why rankings are retarded. They went from #44 in 2008 to #23 or "t25" last year. Does anyone really think there was some significant change at Davis between 2008 and 2011?
I started going to school there during that time, so it's probably just reflective of that. Expect the ranking to regress to the mean a bit once I leave. #swag

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:45 am

SBL wrote:
Errzii wrote:
+1

I started going to school there during that time, so it's probably just reflective of that. Expect the ranking to regress to the mean a bit once I leave. #swag
--ImageRemoved--

Hey, any idea what's up with the difference in employment at-graduation at Davis vs Hastings per US News?

95.8% at Davis vs 48.6% Hastings

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:47 am

No idea, but it probably just means that Hastings had a bad year and Davis gave the numbers a bit of a handjob before submitting them to USNews. I don't care what the rankings say, UCD and UCH are of identical quality. I troll for Davis sometimes, but really employers use the same GPA cutoffs for each so it's completely unimportant which one a prospective law student chooses.

Errzii

Bronze

Post by Errzii » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:50 am

splitbrain wrote:
SBL wrote:
Errzii wrote:
+1

--ImageRemoved--

Hey, any idea what's up with the difference in employment at-graduation at Davis vs Hastings per US News?

95.8% at Davis vs 48.6% Hastings
That's a typo right? If not holyshitwtf @ Hastings.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

splittinghairs

Bronze

Post by splittinghairs » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:51 am

Yep, typo. UC hastings was 84.6% employed.

Employed at 9 months doesnt matter tho. A better indicator are the figures for Full-time Bar required jobs after 9 months.

UCD: 69%
UCH: 62%

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:36 am

Just a heads up, the new US News rankings will be published March 13th
http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/c ... h-march-13

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:32 am

This whole thread is masturbation.

//

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:57 pm

splittinghairs wrote:

Employed at 9 months doesnt matter tho. A better indicator are the figures for Full-time Bar required jobs after 9 months.

Thanks - was super confused about that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheRedMamba

Bronze

Post by TheRedMamba » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:28 am

KevinP wrote:Just a heads up, the new US News rankings will be published March 13th
I'm confused, they calculate the 2012 rankings via the class of class of 2014 medians (those that applied in 2011)? I think I remember seeing a thread with most if not all of those stats. I know there are other factors but barring a change in median gpa/lsat it would be hard for any school to move up or down

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:
KevinP wrote:Just a heads up, the new US News rankings will be published March 13th
I'm confused, they calculate the 2012 rankings via the class of class of 2014 medians (those that applied in 2011)? I think I remember seeing a thread with most if not all of those stats. I know there are other factors but barring a change in median gpa/lsat it would be hard for any school to move up or down
Er, there's more to the rankings than just median gpa and lsat.

TheRedMamba

Bronze

Post by TheRedMamba » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:54 pm

Bronck wrote:
TheRedMamba wrote:
Er, there's more to the rankings than just median gpa and lsat.
As I said in my post, I realize that. However, they are major components in the formula and inherently linked to other key components such as selectivity and acceptance rate. While the quality assessment is the most heavily weighted factor in the rankings methodology, its hard to imagine a school's score, especially a school that has acquired t-14 prestige, fluctuating much year to year in this category.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:01 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:
Yea, they use the class of 2014 medians. (Which is why I'm waiting to see if NYU's median did in fact drop to 171)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Would that cause it to drop below Penn or UVA?

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:51 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Would that cause it to drop below Penn or UVA?
NYU? Highly doubtful since they're three points above rank 7 schools (89 v 86).

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:56 pm

barneytrouble wrote:It should probably be HYS/T14/UCLA Vandy UT BC BU/Doesn't matter.
BLATANT USC hating

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:15 pm

splittinghairs wrote:

I tried doing a quick search, but I could not find the data for the aforementioned percentages/percentages of Full-time bar required jobs after 9 months. Can someone link me to it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 pm

All i have to say is that Chicago will finally overtake CLS, mirite?

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Out of 47 posts, only one person actually answered the question. If this is any indication of the ability to answer a question with a valid response, my confidence for the upcoming year has skyrocketed.

splitbrain

Silver

Post by splitbrain » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:29 pm

SarahT wrote:Out of 47 posts, only one person actually answered the question. If this is any indication of the ability to answer a question with a valid response, my confidence for the upcoming year has skyrocketed.
We get distracted by shiny things; don't hate.
Geetar Man wrote:
splittinghairs wrote:

I tried doing a quick search, but I could not find the data for the aforementioned percentages/percentages of Full-time bar required jobs after 9 months. Can someone link me to it?
--LinkRemoved--

http://www.law.ucdavis.edu/prospective/ ... stics.html

But they aren't specifically reported on these pages.

Hastings full time bar-required employment: 220 out of 421 graduates = 52.2% (60% of graduates had full-time employment at all)

Davis full time bar-required employment: Did not report sufficient information (sup with that).

SarahT

Bronze

Post by SarahT » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:35 pm

splitbrain wrote:
SarahT wrote:Out of 47 posts, only one person actually answered the question. If this is any indication of the ability to answer a question with a valid response, my confidence for the upcoming year has skyrocketed
We get distracted by shiny things; don't hate.
I just stabbed myself in the hand with a screwdriver....Karma sucks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”