What do you think of George Mason? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jaeger

Bronze

Re: What do you think of George Mason?

Post by Jaeger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm

By international, I mean...international business. Dealing with tariffs, overseas trade laws, etc.

And I'm a few credits short of a bio B.S. Switched halfway through.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Jaeger wrote:By international, I mean...international business. Dealing with tariffs, overseas trade laws, etc.

1. get enough sci credits for patent bar. This can be your backup if the "international law" job plan fails...
2. your chances of getting an "international business" job is low. Do you speak other languages? UVA will give you the best shot at that because most of the jobs that you are talking about are biglaw jobs. Only biglaw does "international business."
3. you need to retake with that kind of GPA. Get 3-5 more pts and you can go to a T14 and double or triple your chances of getting a good job.
4. If you don't want to do those things, I would recommend that you don't go to law school.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Jaeger wrote:By international, I mean...international business. Dealing with tariffs, overseas trade laws, etc.

Ya basically no one does the former. If you want to deal w foreign tariffs, you get lawyers from that country.

What would your BS be in

MachineLemon

Bronze

Post by MachineLemon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 pm

tarp wrote:The school also hosts the Mercatus Center, a think tank that has advocated for higher allowable arsenic levels in our drinking water. A true class act.
Sorry to white knight for Mercatus ITT, but what you say here is misleading. What they actually argued is that both in terms of public health and costs to taxpayers, the EPA's limit was too low. They are not pro-arsenic, haha, they just argued that there are more beneficial ways to spend the money and effort.

I know nothing about GMU Law, but DC is a tough market from what I hear and you're competing with grads from all around the country.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 pm

thexfactor wrote:

1. get enough sci credits for patent bar. This can be your backup if the "international law" job plan fails...
2. your chances of getting an "international business" job is low. Do you speak other languages? UVA will give you the best shot at that because most of the jobs that you are talking about are biglaw jobs. Only biglaw does "international business."
3. you need to retake with that kind of GPA. Get 3-5 more pts and you can go to a T14 and double or triple your chances of getting a good job.
4. If you don't want to do those things, I would recommend that you don't go to law school.

Thanks. I have been toying with the idea of retaking. I just wasn't really prep-testing better so I put it off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:33 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.

NoVAres

New

Post by NoVAres » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:25 pm

No inside info on the law job market, but Northern Virginia has one of the strongest general job markets in the U.S., 2% unemployment in Arlington where GMU law is located.

ringo

Bronze

Post by ringo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:37 pm

NoVAres wrote:No inside info on the law job market, but Northern Virginia has one of the strongest general job markets in the U.S., 2% unemployment in Arlington where GMU law is located.
This is meaningless. Unemployed Mason grads don't stick around Arlington paying $1200/month rent just so they can ensure the unemployment rate reflects reality.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Don't go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:27 am

romothesavior wrote:Don't go.

Expound?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Jaeger wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Don't go.

Expound?
Without a massive (see: close to full ride) it probably isn't worth it. You're competing in a hyper-competitive job market and the school places less than 10% of students into biglaw jobs, which are the jobs which make servicing six-figures of law school debt manageable. If you do get like a full ride, maybe it is worth it, but there are still probably two dozen school ahead of you on the D.C. pecking order.

yngblkgifted

Silver

Post by yngblkgifted » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:49 pm

thexfactor wrote:With your 3.9gpa you can get into UVA ed if you increase your lsat 3-5 more pts.
UVA is 3x better for job placement than GMU.

Don't waste that high gpa on GMU.
This

tennisking88

Silver

Post by tennisking88 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Mason blows hard. If you're OOS it's a really shitty deal. This is entirely anecdotal but my two friends who go there say it's a right-wing propoganda fest and their placement is horrific. The placement is probably more important, but I would be wary of any school with such an outwardly partisan bend. Then again I'm a liberal so who knows.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PigBodine

Bronze

Post by PigBodine » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:04 pm

MachineLemon wrote:
tarp wrote:The school also hosts the Mercatus Center, a think tank that has advocated for higher allowable arsenic levels in our drinking water. A true class act.
Sorry to white knight for Mercatus ITT, but what you say here is misleading. What they actually argued is that both in terms of public health and costs to taxpayers, the EPA's limit was too low. They are not pro-arsenic, haha, they just argued that there are more beneficial ways to spend the money and effort.
It'd probably be sufficient to say that they're a sock puppet think tank of the Koch family & major corporate polluters like Exxon. Weirdly, they mostly tend to publish research defending the rights of corporate polluters against meddlesome government regulation, and supporting climate change denialism generally.

spencer1120

New

Post by spencer1120 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 am

Any students on this thread transferring to GMU? Just got denied:(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”