What do you think of George Mason? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Jaeger

Bronze

What do you think of George Mason?

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:51 pm

I was accepted at George Mason (still waiting to hear about $$). It is probably my 5th favorite of the 15 I applied to. I love the DC area, so I know I'll like the area but what about the school itself? How's the culture? Whenever I look at pics, it seems not very extraordinary and the people seem straight out of the 90s. Anyone familiar with GMU?

Grizz

Diamond

Re: What do you think of George Mason?

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:57 pm

#1 consideration should be jerb prospects.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:59 pm

Grizz wrote:#1 consideration should be jerb prospects.
That is my #1 consideration. Consider this my #2...or 3...

JuneLSATFail

New

Post by JuneLSATFail » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:19 pm

Jaeger wrote:
If it was, then you wouldn't be considering this school.

Lil Kev

New

Post by Lil Kev » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:23 pm

His stance on slavery was kind of annoying. "Well, I don't want to bring any more slaves over, but don't take mine away!"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:29 pm

JuneLSATFail wrote:
Jaeger wrote:
If it was, then you wouldn't be considering this school.

As far as I can tell, it has decent job prospects in the NOVA/DC area. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Lil Kev wrote:His stance on slavery was kind of annoying. "Well, I don't want to bring any more slaves over, but don't take mine away!"
Was waiting for this.

smelltheglove

New

Post by smelltheglove » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:08 pm

He had dreamy eyes.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:13 pm

I was going to apply last semester, but got very negative opinions on here. Never been there, so take it for what it is.

Super conservative. People are no fun.

tarp

Bronze

Post by tarp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 am

Ultra conservative school with very boring, misguided people who worship Scalia. The Federalist Society is the most popular student org at GMU. Professors who love the smell of their own farts and a very self-important administration with an axe to grind. Plus you'll have the benefit of rehashing micro and macroeconomics with a huge dose of Austrian school theory thrown in. You won't learn from the most highly regarding casebooks, rather you'll study casebooks written by Chicago professors who rant on and on about the economic theory of the law. Most of the opinions you'll read will be those of Judge Posner of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals. The school also hosts the Mercatus Center, a think tank that has advocated for higher allowable arsenic levels in our drinking water. A true class act. The best part was being taught legal writing by 3L students, with only a huge lecture by the actual professor and little opportunity for feedback from her. Who needs an actual professor when you have 3Ls to teach you? I highly recommend Mason Law to everybody!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:55 am

Enjoyed their March Madness run, probably not the best choice for law school absent a massive scholly.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:57 am

tarp wrote:Ultra conservative school with very boring, misguided people who worship Scalia. The Federalist Society is the most popular student org at GMU. Professors who love the smell of their own farts and a very self-important administration with an axe to grind. Plus you'll have the benefit of rehashing micro and macroeconomics with a huge dose of Austrian school theory thrown in. You won't learn from the most highly regarding casebooks, rather you'll study casebooks written by Chicago professors who rant on and on about the economic theory of the law. Most of the opinions you'll read will be those of Judge Posner of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals. The school also hosts the Mercatus Center, a think tank that has advocated for higher allowable arsenic levels in our drinking water. A true class act. The best part was being taught legal writing by 3L students, with only a huge lecture by the actual professor and little opportunity for feedback from her. Who needs an actual professor when you have 3Ls to teach you? I highly recommend Mason Law to everybody!

So if you don't care about conservative bias and like economics, not bad?

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 am

With your 3.9gpa you can get into UVA ed if you increase your lsat 3-5 more pts.
UVA is 3x better for job placement than GMU.

Don't waste that high gpa on GMU.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:48 am

GMU faculty have a huge presence on the blogosphere and increasingly in popular nonfiction. You can learn a lot about the intellectual atmosphere by reading Tyler Cowen (who apparently teaches law & lit and law & econ in the Law School), Alex Tabarrok, Bryan Caplan, Robin Hanson, and David Bernstein (on Volokh Conspiracy). Personally, I dig it. It's quirky, it's illuminating. But I can see how others might be put off.

Edit: Should disclose that I'm an 0L and haven't actually attended GMU.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:04 pm

banjo wrote:GMU faculty have a huge presence on the blogosphere and increasingly in popular nonfiction. You can learn a lot about the intellectual atmosphere by reading Tyler Cowen (who apparently teaches law & lit and law & econ in the Law School), Alex Tabarrok, Bryan Caplan, Robin Hanson, and David Bernstein (on Volokh Conspiracy). Personally, I dig it. It's quirky, it's illuminating. But I can see how others might be put off.

Wut

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:09 pm

banjo wrote:GMU faculty have a huge presence on the blogosphere and increasingly in popular nonfiction. You can learn a lot about the intellectual atmosphere by reading Tyler Cowen (who apparently teaches law & lit and law & econ in the Law School), Alex Tabarrok, Bryan Caplan, Robin Hanson, and David Bernstein (on Volokh Conspiracy). Personally, I dig it. It's quirky, it's illuminating. But I can see how others might be put off.

Too bad none of that shit gets you a jerb

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:10 pm

GMU is stingy with $$. Don't do it. Job prospects not worth sticker or near sticker there.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Grizz wrote:

So, Grizz... You seem to have been around the block. How do you feel about job prospects at GW? I was waitlisted there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:37 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Grizz wrote:

So, Grizz... You seem to have been around the block. How do you feel about job prospects at GW? I was waitlisted there.
Well what do you want to do?

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:49 pm

I'm leaning towards International Law, though I have some interest in IP law, as well. I'm also perfectly content to stay in the DC/NOVA region. Any tips for getting off the waitlist?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:54 pm

Jaeger wrote:I'm leaning towards International Law
lol.

Stick with the IP, provided you have a B.S.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:56 pm

tarp wrote:Ultra conservative school with very boring, misguided people who worship Scalia. The Federalist Society is the most popular student org at GMU. Professors who love the smell of their own farts and a very self-important administration with an axe to grind. Plus you'll have the benefit of rehashing micro and macroeconomics with a huge dose of Austrian school theory thrown in. You won't learn from the most highly regarding casebooks, rather you'll study casebooks written by Chicago professors who rant on and on about the economic theory of the law. Most of the opinions you'll read will be those of Judge Posner of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals. The school also hosts the Mercatus Center, a think tank that has advocated for higher allowable arsenic levels in our drinking water. A true class act. The best part was being taught legal writing by 3L students, with only a huge lecture by the actual professor and little opportunity for feedback from her. Who needs an actual professor when you have 3Ls to teach you? I highly recommend Mason Law to everybody!

TBF, Austrian Economics is not really a thing. It is just a group of neoclassical economists who paid particular attention to the time value of money and the effect of credit on the business cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:58 pm

eandy wrote:
lol.

I know job prospects are pretty slim with international.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Jaeger wrote:
eandy wrote:
lol.

I know job prospects are pretty slim with international.
It's not even just the slim aspect. Most entry level international law jobs that do exist don't pay much. Meaning your sticker tuition is going to hurt. a lot.

Jaeger

Bronze

Post by Jaeger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:05 pm

eandy wrote: It's not even just the slim aspect. Most entry level international law jobs that do exist don't pay much. Meaning your sticker tuition is going to hurt. a lot.
I know it sounds stupid, but I'm not terribly concerned about the money. My fiance has a career as well in finance that makes good money...so as long as it is something I enjoy doing, I don't mind if the money isn't great. That said, I do at least want a job, that's why I have been moving away from Int'l.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:08 pm

Jaeger wrote:I'm leaning towards International Law, though I have some interest in IP law, as well. I'm also perfectly content to stay in the DC/NOVA region. Any tips for getting off the waitlist?
What do you mean by "international law?" Also, do you have a BS? If so, what in?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”