W&L (20K) vs. Cardozo (28K)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which option is better?!

W&L : $20K per yr
67%
Cardozo: $28K per yr
33%

Total votes: 15

gabby831

W&L (20K) vs. Cardozo (28K)

Postby gabby831 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:26 am

hiiii!

Im stuck :? ...

I moved back with my family to NY after graduating this past december and I want to work in NY when I graduate law school.. will W&L ruin/greatly diminish chances of this since the job market sucks??

Annnnnd is lexington too rural?? I know its an amazing school, but do you guys think NYC is a much better environment to attend law school (better opportunities for networking/internships/variety of opportunities etc..!?)

please enlighten me with your wisdom :D

Grizz

Re: W&L (20K) vs. Cardozo (28K)

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:11 am

If you're dead set on NYC, retake or don't go. W&L is expensive and doesn't have much NYC reach, and Cardozo is one of the whipping boys of NYC. Also, do either of those come with scholarship stipulations?

Srsly, the job market sucks.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:14 am

Grizz wrote:If you're dead set on NYC, retake or don't go. W&L is expensive and doesn't have much NYC reach, and Cardozo is one of the whipping boys of NYC. Also, do either of those come with scholarship stipulations?

I agree. If NYC is your goal, you either need a bigger scholarship to Dozo (see: full ride) or you need to retake.

gabby831

Postby gabby831 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 am

Grizz wrote:If you're dead set on NYC, retake or don't go. W&L is expensive and doesn't have much NYC reach, and Cardozo is one of the whipping boys of NYC. Also, do either of those come with scholarship stipulations?

Thanks for the input so far! Dozo is a 2.95 and W&L is a 3.0.. which I feel like is reasonable. Im still waiting to hear back from William & Mary. I have another offer for $12,000 no stipulations from University of Illinois...I feel like its too far away/too regional for me to move there for law school though.

I really dont see a way I could retake.. I got a 166 and was PTing a little above that (169 with one or 2 170s). Do you really think I need to study again for the next test? I wanted to go to Fordham..but I was wait listed :(. Ive sent a LOCI and am working on getting two additional LOR to submit to them and see if it will help at all

I also wouldnt say im completely "dead set" on NY..its just thats where my family is so I would probably consider DC as another option. Sorry im so confused...thanks for responding!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:22 pm

gabby831 wrote:I really dont see a way I could retake.. I got a 166 and was PTing a little above that (169 with one or 2 170s). Do you really think I need to study again for the next test? I wanted to go to Fordham..but I was wait listed :(. Ive sent a LOCI and am working on getting two additional LOR to submit to them and see if it will help at all

If you were PTing around 170, I think you owe it to yourself to get back into those books and retake. Even if you get into Fordham, that is a $220,000 education. Not at all worth it. Depending on your GPA, a 170 opens up a whole new world of opportunity. Even a 168 will open up new schools, more scholarship money, and ultimately better New York odds. I re-took and went from 162-168, and I'd say that retake is the difference for me between being employed vs. being unemployed right now. Grizz retook and only got one point higher, but he would tell you (and I quote) it was "eminently worth it" because he got thousands more dollars in scholarship money. Every point really does matter.

Look at it this way: if someone told you that they would pay you tens of thousands of dollars if you study for the LSAT this summer and score a little better, would you do it? I imagine so. That is the equivalent of what we are telling you to do with a retake. A few more points nets you tens of thousands of dollars more in scholarships, and possibly could mean the difference between starting out at a six-figure salary vs. $40,000.

Put yourself in the best position to succeed. If you left points on the table, study for the June LSAT and give it your best shot. Trust me, your odds of getting a few more points on the LSAT are much better than your odds of being in the top 20% at Cardozo and landing a good job, or being in the top 10-20% at W&L and getting a NYC job. You can't be hurt by a retake; you can only help yourself. Good luck.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
gabby831 wrote:I really dont see a way I could retake.. I got a 166 and was PTing a little above that (169 with one or 2 170s). Do you really think I need to study again for the next test? I wanted to go to Fordham..but I was wait listed :(. Ive sent a LOCI and am working on getting two additional LOR to submit to them and see if it will help at all

If you were PTing around 170, I think you owe it to yourself to get back into those books and retake. Even if you get into Fordham, that is a $220,000 education. Not at all worth it. Depending on your GPA, a 170 opens up a whole new world of opportunity. Even a 168 will open up new schools, more scholarship money, and ultimately better New York odds. I re-took and went from 162-168, and I'd say that retake is the difference for me between being employed vs. being unemployed right now. Grizz retook and only got one point higher, but he would tell you (and I quote) it was "eminently worth it" because he got thousands more dollars in scholarship money. Every point really does matter.

Look at it this way: if someone told you that they would pay you tens of thousands of dollars if you study for the LSAT this summer and score a little better, would you do it? I imagine so. That is the equivalent of what we are telling you to do with a retake. A few more points nets you tens of thousands of dollars more in scholarships, and possibly could mean the difference between starting out at a six-figure salary vs. $40,000.

Put yourself in the best position to succeed. If you left points on the table, study for the June LSAT and give it your best shot. Trust me, your odds of getting a few more points on the LSAT are much better than your odds of being in the top 20% at Cardozo and landing a good job, or being in the top 10-20% at W&L and getting a NYC job. You can't be hurt by a retake; you can only help yourself. Good luck.

Unless, of course, you do a lot worse...

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:49 pm

dingbat wrote:Unless, of course, you do a lot worse...

Doing worse will have no bearing on OP's law school opportunities. Few schools, if any, actually average LSAT scores. If he does worse in June, he will still have his two offers that he currently has. Almost every single school in the country takes the highest LSAT score, even if they say they don't. LSN clearly supports this.

I mean this sincerely when I say you might be the most misinformed poster on TLS. Your advice is constantly wrong. It is misleading, and therefore potentially dangerous if anyone were to be so stupid as to believe you.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:54 pm

OP, I sat out a year and retook a 166. I'm now in at CLS/NYU. Please listen to those of us encouraging you to retake.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:27 am

Have heard (admittedly anecdotally from Cardozo students) that they section-stack- put all scholarship students in a single section so a certain % will lose their scholarships.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”