Hamilton vs. HLS vs. Stanford Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Hamilton vs. HLS vs. Stanford

Hamilton Fellowship
64%
HLS
11%
Stanford
25%

Total votes: 210

Bronck

Gold

Re: Hamilton vs. HLS vs. Stanford

Post by Bronck » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:54 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
sb512 wrote:and in terms of career, I could see myself doing academia, government, or a firm, so it sort of feels like I'm being forced to make that decision right now
If keeping options open is your priority then just go to Yale. Yale gives you a great shot at all the options you mentioned, and as Elston said has the COAP program which protects you in the worst case scenario.
I'm inclined to agree with this. Especially since you mentioned academia.

If you had just said that you wanted firms, then I would have said the Hamilton without a doubt.

takehold

New

Post by takehold » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm in the same position (minus Yale) and the decision can definitely depend from person to person. I think (now that you have Yale) Harvard should probably be out as I would view it as Hamilton v. Y/H v. Stanford. I personally am leaning Stanford because I got a pretty good financial aid offer from there, but I have to admit that without that offer my decision would be far more difficult. The Hamilton offers up-front financial security whereas YHS offer greater flexibility and insurance when it comes to employment (to somewhat different degrees of course), plus COAP/LIPP/LRAP aren't too shabby either. Campus visits made a big impact for me: I was impressed by Harvard and enjoyed (to a lesser extent) Columbia, but Stanford to me was in a league of its own. Are you attending Yale's/Stanford's ASWs? Maybe that would help a little.

takehold

New

Post by takehold » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
sb512 wrote:and in terms of career, I could see myself doing academia, government, or a firm, so it sort of feels like I'm being forced to make that decision right now
If keeping options open is your priority then just go to Yale. Yale gives you a great shot at all the options you mentioned, and as Elston said has the COAP program which protects you in the worst case scenario.
+1

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:59 pm

pupperoni wrote:
beleaguer wrote:
Guchster wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:This thread is proving my theory correct, that CCN students are more butt hurt about not getting HYS, than lower T14 students. It's like getting Silver medal in the olympics. You send your life thinking if you only did a little better. The Bronze dood is just happy to get a medal.

CLS is worse than HYS. At some jobs like academia it is considerably worse. But for big law it's only a little bit worse. And all that doesn't equal 150K.
I certainly feel that way about the silver medal thing. Some cls people are comfortable walking around with columbia law school shirts. WTF would i be caught wearing shit like that to class? It's like wearing your silver medal all the time.

I guess its cool bro if you're settling for silver and like telling people you competed in the olympics.

According to stanford people, the difference between stanford and hamilton is not 150 k, but more in the five digit range.

does anyone here at CLS know who this guy is? please PM me. based on every post he's ever made on these forums, I want to make sure I never, ever have to interact with this person
lol, it amazes me how much douchiness and delusion permeates throughout these boards sometimes. someone attending northwestern is not qualified to speak regarding this topic and should not be embarrassing themselves by equating law schools admissions to the olympics of life. take the hamilton unless you want academia or clerkships or get into yale.
U seem mad, and dumb, and you possibly haven't heard of analogies before.

sb512

New

Post by sb512 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Ya, I liked Columbia's ASW more than I expected and didn't like Harvard's. I'm visiting Stanford next week, but I won't get to visit Yale's. Luckily I'm familiar with Yale's campus and some students because of undergrad, but I still wish I could visit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EdgarWinter

Bronze

Post by EdgarWinter » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Napt

Bronze

Post by Napt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Egregious pro-Stttanford anti-Harvard trolling itt.

abacus

New

Post by abacus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:05 pm

What didn't you like about Harvard?

annyong

Bronze

Post by annyong » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:13 pm

I chose Yale over a full ride at NYU for similar reasons as Elston. I really want to clerk, and my current long-term career goals make Yale stand out to me more since I know I don't want to just stay in the private sector at a firm. Plus, I loved the environment at Yale, and with their need-based grant, I did the calculus, and to me, Yale was worth the difference.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Completely agree with this.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:16 am

Napt wrote:Egregious pro-Stttanford anti-Harvard trolling itt.
Agreed.

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:14 am

hung jury wrote:Edit to add: if I had to go 200k in the hole with no other real financial support to attend SLS or HLS, I would have went to CCN. But whether it is worth it is pretty specific to an individual's situation.
Sticker at HS is $250K or more including interest, not $200K. Without interest, it is $210K ($70K X 3). Folks forget the interest is substantial.

jd5

Bronze

Post by jd5 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:50 pm

I'm in the same position as the OP and change my mind about it pretty much once every four hours. I had mostly decided to take the Hamilton over H/S, but then I got into Yale and received a much bigger than expected financial aid package (about 20k for 1L). So now Yale would be approximately twice as expensive as Columbia instead of three times as expensive (not taking into account salary from summer associate positions). How do you quantify the added value of a Yale degree over a Columbia degree (with Hamilton on the resume)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:57 pm

jd5 wrote:I'm in the same position as the OP and change my mind about it pretty much once every four hours. I had mostly decided to take the Hamilton over H/S, but then I got into Yale and received a much bigger than expected financial aid package (about 20k for 1L). So now Yale would be approximately twice as expensive as Columbia instead of three times as expensive (not taking into account salary from summer associate positions). How do you quantify the added value of a Yale degree over a Columbia degree (with Hamilton on the resume)?
1) Withdraw from Harvard and Stanford [Pretty please?]
2) Decide on career goals
3) If academia or fedgov, Yale
4) If biglaw or PI, think about Columbia
5) Go to Yale.
Last edited by Doorkeeper on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:38 pm

If you end up in biglaw, Columbia will have been the better choice. Otherwise, Yale.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:48 pm

No stips on the scholly right? I'm a debt-hater so Hamilton all the way. Top dog at CLS is better than being part of the crowd at HLS.

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Guchster wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:This thread is proving my theory correct, that CCN students are more butt hurt about not getting HYS, than lower T14 students. It's like getting Silver medal in the olympics. You send your life thinking if you only did a little better. The Bronze dood is just happy to get a medal.

CLS is worse than HYS. At some jobs like academia it is considerably worse. But for big law it's only a little bit worse. And all that doesn't equal 150K.
I certainly feel that way about the silver medal thing. Some cls people are comfortable walking around with columbia law school shirts. WTF would i be caught wearing shit like that to class? It's like wearing your silver medal all the time.

I guess its cool bro if you're settling for silver and like telling people you competed in the olympics.

According to stanford people, the difference between stanford and hamilton is not 150 k, but more in the five digit range.
Guchster, I really respect your honesty and candidness. All too often on TLS, I see people hiding behind facades to mask their inner insecurities. I really respect that you are open about the inferiority complex that is apparently even at a school such as CLS (I would KILL to get in there! Actually it's definitely a goal school of mine, although HLS is my ultimate reach).

That being said, aren't HLS and SLS silver medal schools in themselves? Yale has always been #1 since the rankings began, and I bet a ton of HS are upset that they didn't get into Yale. So don't feel too bad, since there are students in Harvard and Stanford who I'm sure feel the same way as you do. Just trying to put this into perspective....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:09 pm

A bit surprised by all the Hamilton love ITT. If that's true, then why shouldn't people who get into CCN take the full rides at the lower-T14, and so on.

Anyway...

I think people don't realize how awful the debt load is until you actually have the debt load and have entered repayment; it's easy to "run the numbers," but it's not 'real' until you are actually working and realize that, after taxes and loan payments, you're working 80 hours a week for $40k a year for ~4-5 years. $40k after-tax is nothing whatsoever to scoff at, but the loans are still incredibly painful.

I'd take the money without looking back, if I had the choice.

EdgarWinter

Bronze

Post by EdgarWinter » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:A bit surprised by all the Hamilton love ITT. If that's true, then why shouldn't people who get into CCN take the full rides at the lower-T14, and so on.
Maybe because they should and just don't?

But also I very much doubt that more than a tiny handful of people at CCN had full-ride options at lower T14 schools. Those scholarships are very competitive, a bit of a crapshoot, and often directed at HYS quality people. I'm sure it is far easier to get into Columbia than it is to get a Darrow or w/e.

EDIT: Oh also I think I should point out that if you do know people at CCN who turned down lower T14 full-rides then they are probably the types of people who also got substantial partial scholarships $$ from the T6. Doubt they're paying sticker. Also thanks Bronck :).
Last edited by EdgarWinter on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:19 pm

EdgarWinter wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:A bit surprised by all the Hamilton love ITT. If that's true, then why shouldn't people who get into CCN take the full rides at the lower-T14, and so on.
Maybe because they should and just don't?

But also I very much doubt that more than a tiny handful of people at CCN had full-ride options at lower T14 schools. Those scholarships are very competitive, a bit of a crapshoot, and often directed at HYS quality people. I'm sure it is far easier to get into Columbia than it is to get a Darrow or w/e.
Spot on.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Your typical CCN student is not going to be offered a full ride to any t-14

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:04 pm

could be wrong, but I think Guchster trolled y'all, and effectively at that.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:07 pm

NinerFan wrote:Your typical CCN student is not going to be offered a full ride to any t-14
This. It just doesn't work that way. You can get into CCN without even getting serious money from schools like UCLA, BU, Fordham, etc. People with 3.5-3.7 GPAs and 170-175 LSATs are good enough to get in almost everywhere but not impressive enough to get huge scholarships from anywhere.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:18 pm

kwais wrote:could be wrong, but I think Guchster trolled y'all, and effectively at that.
mess w/ da best, die like da rest

sup kwais, how's it going? i'm sick our TTT's examtime already. taking naps in the library and fucking around on the interbuttz is awesome.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”