T3(Full Scholly) vs. Alabama(Sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bjhs08

T3(Full Scholly) vs. Alabama(Sticker)

Postby bjhs08 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:04 pm

I am from Alabama and would like to practice here after graduation. I have a full schloarship to Mercer and a full scholarship to Mississippi College. I was admitted to Alabama this week with no scholarship and I really don't expect one. Opinions?

murray18

Re: T3(Full Scholly) vs. Alabama(Sticker)

Postby murray18 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Alabama. No question. In-state sticker at Alabama is a world better than a full ride at a TTT where you (presumably) dont have ties. The differences in job offers will be enormous. Don't forget about living expenses either. You're going to be accumulating debt, why not add a little more to it and go to a T1?

I'm admittedly a little biased towards Alabama though... take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:29 pm

murray18 wrote:Alabama. No question. In-state sticker at Alabama is a world better than a full ride at a TTT where you (presumably) dont have ties. The differences in job offers will be enormous. Don't forget about living expenses either. You're going to be accumulating debt, why not add a little more to it and go to a T1?

I'm admittedly a little biased towards Alabama though... take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

I could do some research, but I'm lazy. I think it would be more helpful for people reading your post if you posted numbers ($) for the respective schools.

Further, it matters what kind of person you are. If you're debt averse or not.

smelltheglove

Postby smelltheglove » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Bama in-state is a steal - take it.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
murray18 wrote:Alabama. No question. In-state sticker at Alabama is a world better than a full ride at a TTT where you (presumably) dont have ties. The differences in job offers will be enormous. Don't forget about living expenses either. You're going to be accumulating debt, why not add a little more to it and go to a T1?

I could do some research, but I'm lazy. I think it would be more helpful for people reading your post if you posted numbers ($) for the respective schools.

Further, it matters what kind of person you are. If you're debt averse or not.

Bama is $18030, in state. The others are $0 (obviously). True, debt aversion is important, but I think someone who wants to work in Alabama after graduation should consider UA a steal.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:43 pm

You might want to look at some of threads about employment in Alabama. From those posts, it seems that you are better off going to school in Alabama. You will have a better chance of getting a job in Alabama from Alabama. So it is worth going to school there. Comparatively, paying sticker at Alabama might seem like a lot when you could get complete tuition scholarships, but you have to look long term. And if you compare Alabama in-state tuition to most other law schools, it will seem like a deal even at sticker.

bjhs08

Postby bjhs08 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:31 pm

Thanks everyone for the help.

@sunynp Where could I find those threads you mentioned?

@Murray18 You mentioned you are biased towards Alabama. Are you currently a student there?

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:28 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=174694

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=161237

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=174833

There are probably more, I would search the employment forum for Birmingham and for Alabama, maybe Atlanta. You might also look at the law school threads for Alabama. I don't know if there is an Alabama OCI thread, I don't remember seeing it.

murray18

Postby murray18 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:55 pm

bjhs08 wrote:Thanks everyone for the help.

@sunynp Where could I find those threads you mentioned?

@Murray18 You mentioned you are biased towards Alabama. Are you currently a student there?

No. It does look like I'll be there in the fall though. They gave me an awesome offer, and their office has been extremely accommodating. Also, like the above poster said, employment stats for Alabama are encouraging compared to Georgia (where I live), Florida, and Mississippi.

The other two offers you have are from extremely regional schools. To take those degrees back to Alabama would be very difficult with anything less than stellar grades (which you shouldn't bank on). There is certainly something to be said for taking a full ride at a TTT school if you have very strong ties, or if you have a job lined up, but in your case (unless theres some other outside factor you didn't mention) I think Bama is the right choice.

Feel free to PM me if you want. I'm going to the UA open house this week, so I might be able to answer some questions you might have.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Re-take and reapply, hope for money plus in-state to Alabama if that's really where you want to stay and work.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”