IP - GULC vs GULC (part-time while working at USPTO) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bbalcrzy23

Bronze

IP - GULC vs GULC (part-time while working at USPTO)

Post by bbalcrzy23 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:42 pm

BS in Mechanical Engineering. 3.5 years of work experience with large engineering company. Currently studying for the patent bar - will sit for it in March/April.

I was granted an interview for an examiner position with the USPTO recently and it got me wondering about working there while attending GULC part-time (with the possibility of transferring to full-time after 1L). That would cut down on loans significantly, plus add a year of valuable patent examiner experience.

Any opinions on this approach? Are there any disadvantages with part-time? I assume there would be no time for extra-curriculars. Plus, I've done work full-time + school before, and it is exhausting. Would this lesson the value of my legal education?

Extra info: I am still waiting for a decision from NU. Should an acceptance from NU drastically sway my decision?

Thanks in advance.

tennisking88

Silver

Re: IP - GULC vs GULC (part-time while working at USPTO)

Post by tennisking88 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:53 pm

bbalcrzy23 wrote:BS in Mechanical Engineering. 3.5 years of work experience with large engineering company. Currently studying for the patent bar - will sit for it in March/April.

I was granted an interview for an examiner position with the USPTO recently and it got me wondering about working there while attending GULC part-time (with the possibility of transferring to full-time after 1L). That would cut down on loans significantly, plus add a year of valuable patent examiner experience.

Any opinions on this approach? Are there any disadvantages with part-time? I assume there would be no time for extra-curriculars. Plus, I've done work full-time + school before, and it is exhausting. Would this lesson the value of my legal education?

Extra info: I am still waiting for a decision from NU. Should an acceptance from NU drastically sway my decision?

Thanks in advance.
From past threads, the word on the street is that it is now close to impossible to transfer from GULC PT to FT. Once you're in PT, they really want you to stay there.

bbalcrzy23

Bronze

Post by bbalcrzy23 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:57 pm

From past threads, the word on the street is that it is now close to impossible to transfer from GULC PT to FT. Once you're in PT, they really want you to stay there.
Good point, I'll look into it. Thanks

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:05 am

I'd imagine GULCPT+Work is probably the most risk averse and safest plan (due to lower debt). I'm not sure which is best for you. If you want to work in Chicago then I think that would make NU significantly more attractive. Other than that I defer to those who are more knowledgeable.
Last edited by bk1 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:12 am

I was a GULC PTer and know a few people who did this. The USPTO option is pretty credited. It's a great way to mitigate debt, and you can always stay on if you don't want to go the big law route.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:44 pm

nealric wrote:I was a GULC PTer and know a few people who did this. The USPTO option is pretty credited. It's a great way to mitigate debt, and you can always stay on if you don't want to go the big law route.
There are about a million people at GW that do this. It seems to work out really well for them, especially once they get their workflow optimized. I think it's a great call. IP firms like seeing examiners with a couple years of experience (but not over 5 or so).

DouglasDevelopment

New

Post by DouglasDevelopment » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:39 am

tennisking88 wrote:
bbalcrzy23 wrote:BS in Mechanical Engineering. 3.5 years of work experience with large engineering company. Currently studying for the patent bar - will sit for it in March/April.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know exactly how hard it is, but I wouldn't say it's "close to impossible," I know multiple PT'ers who transferred into FT this year. Having a job while doing PT would definitely increase your employment prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”