Happiness vs. Program

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bmt3000

Happiness vs. Program

Postby bmt3000 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Simply put, assuming all cost is relatively equal and reputation of the overall program is relatively equal, you have two options.

1) Decent program in the field you wish to pursue at a school you will be very happy at for 3 years.

vs.

2) #1 program in the country in the field you wish to pursue where you will be considerably less happy than at option 1 for 3 years.

Which do you choose?

Ofta3184

Re: Happiness vs. Program

Postby Ofta3184 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:55 pm

the school with the better job prospects

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:57 pm

The reputation of the program is not so relevant. It's more about the reputation of the school.

Also, I PM'd you.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Ofta3184 wrote:the school with the better job prospects

this, and it's not even close.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:59 pm

The overall consensus is that the rating of individual fields within a school doesn't matter that much. For example, even though Lewis and Clark has a top enviro program, you would be getting a lot better offers for enviro if you went to Georgetown which is not known for their enviro program.

I am a 0L though, but that's what I have heard from pretty much anyone I have asked about a particular rating of a program within a school

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:05 pm

bmt3000 wrote:Simply put, assuming all cost is relatively equal and reputation of the overall program is relatively equal, you have two options.

1) Decent program in the field you wish to pursue at a school you will be very happy at for 3 years.

vs.

2) #1 program in the country in the field you wish to pursue where you will be considerably less happy than at option 1 for 3 years.

Which do you choose?

Are we still talking about law school?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:07 pm

OP, you are really asking the wrong questions. The program, curriculum, etc. shouldn't even be more than a blip on your radar. Job prospects are the most important thing to consider. And happiness is important, so don't discount it as a factor for law school. But the experience at most law schools will be fairly similar and you should be able to make friends no matter where you go, so it is a much smaller factor than jobs.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP, you are really asking the wrong questions. The program, curriculum, etc. shouldn't even be more than a blip on your radar. Job prospects are the most important thing to consider. And happiness is important, so don't discount it as a factor for law school. But the experience at most law schools will be fairly similar and you should be able to make friends no matter where you go, so it is a much smaller factor than jobs.

You know what seems to make most people pretty happy during 2L and 3L? Being employed.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:11 pm

IAFG wrote:
romothesavior wrote:OP, you are really asking the wrong questions. The program, curriculum, etc. shouldn't even be more than a blip on your radar. Job prospects are the most important thing to consider. And happiness is important, so don't discount it as a factor for law school. But the experience at most law schools will be fairly similar and you should be able to make friends no matter where you go, so it is a much smaller factor than jobs.

You know what seems to make most people pretty happy during 2L and 3L? Being employed.

Word. One of my best friends from 1L year is like a distant memory to me because he struck out at OCI. Constantly depressed and never goes out.

abacus

Postby abacus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:11 pm

Last edited by abacus on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:13 pm

abacus wrote:What if we're talking about schools with similar job prospects overall? Specifically, Harvard (better program) vs. Stanford (probably a happier 3 years)?

At that level, it comes down more to personal preferences. But for similarly situated schools, you're still talking jobs. What region do you want to be in? Which school places better there? If you want to end up in say Atlanta, then going to Vanderbilt is obviously a much better choice than going to USC or Boston College or something.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:14 pm

Hjones33 wrote:The overall consensus is that the rating of individual fields within a school doesn't matter that much. For example, even though Lewis and Clark has a top enviro program, you would be getting a lot better offers for enviro if you went to Georgetown which is not known for their enviro program.

I am a 0L though, but that's what I have heard from pretty much anyone I have asked about a particular rating of a program within a school

Unless it's Vermont Law School which is the #1 enviro program which I think is more in line with OP's conundrum. Although I think that only extends to environmental law and it matters much less if you're talking about say Tax or whatever other program.

JoeMo

Postby JoeMo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:16 pm

abacus wrote:What if we're talking about schools with similar job prospects overall? Specifically, Harvard (better program) vs. Stanford (probably a happier 3 years)?

Then you're just splitting hairs and your mama should slap you over the head for that foolishness.

Postby 071816 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:19 pm

What do you mean by "program"?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:22 pm

JoeMo wrote:
Hjones33 wrote:The overall consensus is that the rating of individual fields within a school doesn't matter that much. For example, even though Lewis and Clark has a top enviro program, you would be getting a lot better offers for enviro if you went to Georgetown which is not known for their enviro program.

Unless it's Vermont Law School which is the #1 enviro program which I think is more in line with OP's conundrum. Although I think that only extends to environmental law and it matters much less if you're talking about say Tax or whatever other program.

Yeah, but in most cases you'd still be an idiot for going to Vermont over just about any T1 school.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:25 pm

JoeMo wrote:

Even then, does it really matter? No disrespect to vermont law school, but is an enviro firm going to be giddy to get an applicant from Vermont over any local state school in the top 100?

I am more asking than trying to prove you wrong because like I said I am a zeroL and just know what people have told me.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:27 pm

Hjones33 wrote:Even then, does it really matter? No disrespect to vermont law school, but is an enviro firm going to be giddy to get an applicant from Vermont over any local state school in the top 100?

I am more asking than trying to prove you wrong because like I said I am a zeroL and just know what people have told me.

Your hunch is right. Grades and school prestige will get you a lot further for environmental jobs than some environmental program at Vermont.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:35 pm

I think we're downplaying a bit how unhappy s/he would be elsewhere, even if it's a much better program. In terms of employment, it's prob best to go to the more prestigious school rather the better PROGRAM at a lower ranked school. However, if this is a situation where your bf/gf is at the less-prestigious school or in the area, and you'd be miserable without him/her, I would stay regardless. Guess my point is that we don't know why she would be so happy at School X vs. School Y, so it's premature to assume better job prospects trump higher personal satisfaction.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:36 pm

tennisking88 wrote:I think we're downplaying a bit how unhappy s/he would be elsewhere, even if it's a much better program. In terms of employment, it's prob best to go to the more prestigious school rather the better PROGRAM at a lower ranked school. However, if this is a situation where your bf/gf is at the less-prestigious school or in the area, and you'd be miserable without him/her, I would stay regardless. Guess my point is that we don't know why she would be so happy at School X vs. School Y, so it's premature to assume better job prospects trump higher personal satisfaction.

oh god... no. everything about this, just no. no no no no no.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:49 pm

IAFG wrote:
tennisking88 wrote:I think we're downplaying a bit how unhappy s/he would be elsewhere, even if it's a much better program. In terms of employment, it's prob best to go to the more prestigious school rather the better PROGRAM at a lower ranked school. However, if this is a situation where your bf/gf is at the less-prestigious school or in the area, and you'd be miserable without him/her, I would stay regardless. Guess my point is that we don't know why she would be so happy at School X vs. School Y, so it's premature to assume better job prospects trump higher personal satisfaction.

Lawyers are so likable.

justinp

Postby justinp » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:56 am

IAFG wrote:

I bet you're loads of fun at parties...

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:08 pm

If they really loved you they would understand why you need to go to the better school

justinp

Postby justinp » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:

If they really loved you they would understand why you need to go to the better school

The point isn't 'you should stay if they say you should stay'-- it's that it would be perfectly legitimate to choose a lower-ranked school because it better accords with another important part of your life.

Your career isn't the only important part of your life.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:29 pm

IAFG wrote:

Despite the flak from previous posters, I'm gonna have to second IAFG's "no no no no." You're going to law school because you want a legal career. This is about your future profession, not some abstract notion of what you think would make you happy.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:33 pm

justinp wrote:The point isn't 'you should stay if they say you should stay'-- it's that it would be perfectly legitimate to choose a lower-ranked school because it better accords with another important part of your life.

Your career isn't the only important part of your life.
Of course it isn't. But it's pretty much the only important part of going to law school.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”