Brooklyn vs. Rutgers-Newark vs. CUNY

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nyc33

Brooklyn vs. Rutgers-Newark vs. CUNY

Postby nyc33 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:23 pm

No money at Brooklyn, in-state tuition at Rutgers, and in-state at CUNY.

I want to do PI law, preferably non-profit over gov., and I am extremely debt averse. I want to live and practice in NY.

Should I choose Brooklyn and risk coming out with insurmountable debt and horrible job prospects?

Would a regional school like Rutgers pigeonhole me into the NJ market?

Right now, CUNY is looking good. Less debt, can negotiate some money, PI emphasis, in NY.

Advice?

timbs4339

Re: Brooklyn vs. Rutgers-Newark vs. CUNY

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Do you have PI experience/background?

paradox

Postby paradox » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Be cautious; CUNY is D.F.L. among the 15 New York State bar pass rates.

AriGoldButNicer

Postby AriGoldButNicer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Predictions 1.) 49ers win, 2.) this thread does not end well.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:49 pm

You would have to be crazed to go to Brooklyn without money. Go to Rutgers I guess. A cavalcade will soon arrive to tell you how super regional Rutgers is. I guess I won't argue. Even though it isn't true.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:54 pm

MrAnon wrote:You would have to be crazed to go to Brooklyn without money. Go to Rutgers I guess. A cavalcade will soon arrive to tell you how super regional Rutgers is. I guess I won't argue. Even though it isn't true.

CUNY would also be a good option here. But idk if the OP understands how competitive the NYC PI/gov't market really is. It's a good idea to have a background in a specific area of PI law and even then it will be challenging.

nyc33

Postby nyc33 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:43 pm

I do have a lot of experience in non-profit PI legal work. I would like to do immigration or civil rights work with a specific community.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:34 pm

nyc33 wrote:I do have a lot of experience in non-profit PI legal work. I would like to do immigration or civil rights work with a specific community.

Did you work for an organization or firm that is offering you a position contingent upon your graduation from ANY law school? If the answer is 'no' to that question, then CUNY is out. It has a horrible bar passage rate and terrible job prospects (81% at nine months). Brooklyn isn't much better and costs quite a bit more. NY is a terrible state to attend law school in if you're not smart enough to get in Dozo, and arguably Fordham, or better.

Rutgers is the only reasonable choice after examining the employment data and costs. If you're not content with NJ then you need to consider sitting out for a year to retake. If that doesn't sound productive, then chose another profession.
Last edited by mrtoren on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyc33

Postby nyc33 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:42 pm

I worked for the Los Angeles chapter of an org. and while they didn't offer me a job contingent upon my graduation from law school, I do have great connections and recommendations that would make getting into the NY chapter a lot easier.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:41 pm

nyc33 wrote:I worked for the Los Angeles chapter of an org. and while they didn't offer me a job contingent upon my graduation from law school, I do have great connections and recommendations that would make getting into the NY chapter a lot easier.

What schools do attorneys from the NY chapter come from?

You need to be absolutely certain you can get a job there. Many a paralegal has gone to law school thinking they can work at their former firm upon graduation only to be told "sorry, your grades/school aren't quite up to snuff."

nyc33

Postby nyc33 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:02 pm

It varies. For example, their attorneys have come from UC Hastings, UC Berkley, Santa Clara, Western State and Wayne State to name a few. One thing I do know is that they usually hire people they know really well because the community they work with requires a lot of sensitivity.

Thanks for the honesty in making sure I know how difficult it is to get into NY PI.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:10 pm

nyc33 wrote:It varies. For example, their attorneys have come from UC Hastings, UC Berkley, Santa Clara, Western State and Wayne State to name a few. One thing I do know is that they usually hire people they know really well because the community they work with requires a lot of sensitivity.

Thanks for the honesty in making sure I know how difficult it is to get into NY PI.

No problem. FWIW, you have a more well-defined plan than most 0Ls. If you minimize your debt and pursue PI positions during the school year, you'll be in a better position than many of your classmates.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 am

timbs4339 wrote:
nyc33 wrote:It varies. For example, their attorneys have come from UC Hastings, UC Berkley, Santa Clara, Western State and Wayne State to name a few. One thing I do know is that they usually hire people they know really well because the community they work with requires a lot of sensitivity.

No problem. FWIW, you have a more well-defined plan than most 0Ls. If you minimize your debt and pursue PI positions during the school year, you'll be in a better position than many of your classmates.

I agree, although I still think a debt-averse person like the OP should be thinking about retaking rather than going to these schools. The risk is pretty high.

If you absolutely refuse to retake or reconsider, then go wherever is cheapest.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:53 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Predictions 1.) 49ers win, 2.) this thread does not end well.

can't escape the sad results of last weekend anywhere i go :(

Return to “Choosing a Law School”