Strong Regional Low T1-T2 Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
VVssR

Strong Regional Low T1-T2 Schools

Postby VVssR » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Hello all! I was just curious as to what are some pretty strong regional schools that are low tier 1, tier 2 schools that outperform its ratings when it comes to employment because it is the only real "power" in the area?

I feel like others would find this interesting as well.

Like for a low tier 1 school I would assume U of Colorado does very good because it being the best school in the region. In the PNW, in particular Oregon, U of Oregon and L&C probably do decent (Of course not for biglaw). I would also guess (and yes it is just a guess with little backing to my claims) that schools like Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, University of Kentucky, and U of Tenn do solid in their regions/states.

Anyways, appreciate any responses!

soitgoes9

Re: Strong Regional Low T1-T2 Schools

Postby soitgoes9 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:42 pm

SMU, Huston, Florida, FSU, U of Washington (Seattle), Pitt, Nebraska, Kansas, Temple, 'nova, Rutgers (both), South Carolina all come to mind BUT REMEMBER ITS HARD TO BREAK INTO MOST OF THESE MARKETS WITHOUT TIES.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:49 pm

UW

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Wisconsin. Plus, not needing to pass the bar is pretty sweet.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:34 pm

VVssR wrote:Hello all! I was just curious as to what are some pretty strong regional schools that are low tier 1, tier 2 schools that outperform its ratings when it comes to employment because it is the only real "power" in the area?

I feel like others would find this interesting as well.

Like for a low tier 1 school I would assume U of Colorado does very good because it being the best school in the region. In the PNW, in particular Oregon, U of Oregon and L&C probably do decent (Of course not for biglaw). I would also guess (and yes it is just a guess with little backing to my claims) that schools like Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, University of Kentucky, and U of Tenn do solid in their regions/states.

Anyways, appreciate any responses!

One clarification: a school like U Colorado is not really the 'best school in the region.' It's the best school in CO. At that level (40-50) it's more about state ties, less about region. If you want to live in Utah, go to BYU or Utah. If you want to live in Arizona, go to ASU. If you want to live in CO (like me) go to CU.

beardown_tho

Postby beardown_tho » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:45 pm

coldshoulder wrote:If you want to live in Arizona, go to ASU.

If you want to live in Arizona, apply to AZ and ASU and go to whichever one is cheaper. There is no difference.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Beware that even if it's the best school in the state, that doesn't necessarily make it "strong" if that state is suffering.

For example, CU-Boulder only reports 63.4% of their grads getting full time, bar passage required jobs. I wouldn't consider that strong even though it is the best school in the state. UNLV on the other hand is at 80.3%. UMinn is at 79%. UDub is 80.3%. Wisconsin is about halfway between those at 74.5%. (Source: LST)

Schools like CU-Boulder, UCHastings, UCDavis, etc, while being top regional schools in their area, aren't really that strong when compared with other top regional schools like BU, BC, UMinn, UDub, etc. Also remember that if you have no ties to a not normally popular state (e.g. WA, MO, WI, CO, etc) you might be viewed skeptically even though you're going to school there.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:28 pm

Not sure about 63% of CU grads finding real time legal work. Maybe one year was an anomaly or something, but I think the school is better than that. Keep in mind people literally go there for the skiing. A different crowd for sure, but good news for you if you want to go there do well and get a jerb. Instead of competing with 95% of the other students you are down to maybe 75% or 80%. Don't respond if you don't know anything about Boulder.

I think a great school that is overlooked is UTK. Vandy kids usually go out of state and dispute its uber conservative politics and some blighted areas, TN has a lot of charm and is aesthetically a beautiful state. I think, as above poster said, you might need a good reason for going to UTK if you are not from the area. I do think ties can be communicated if you are, for example, married and have a real intention of staying in the area.

Yeah if you are OOS and 25 when you graduate and are single, probably would have to make a few personal connections with employers and use those. The average hiring partner might assume you have no real connection to TN if they didn't know you.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Not sure about 63% of CU grads finding real time legal work. Maybe one year was an anomaly or something, but I think the school is better than that. Keep in mind people literally go there for the skiing. A different crowd for sure, but good news for you if you want to go there do well and get a jerb. Instead of competing with 95% of the other students you are down to maybe 75% or 80%. Don't respond if you don't know anything about Boulder.

It's possible, but looking at their website it's not looking promising. At 9 months out, their 2010 class is at 61% at best for full time, bar required jobs. Also, there is no guarantee you are going to do well.

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:45 pm

UNM dominates New Mexico and has a decent reputation in the Southwest.

tmack002

Postby tmack002 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:46 pm

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Only 1/4 of SCU grads find full time, bar required work, making it worse than most T3's/T4's.

Postby 20160810 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:39 pm

lobolawyer wrote:UNM dominates New Mexico and has a decent reputation in the Southwest.

Yeah but there are probably less than 10 decent firm jobs opening up in the entire state each year, so even if every single one of them goes to a UNM student (quite possible), those ain't good odds.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:40 pm

beardown_tho wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:If you want to live in Arizona, go to ASU.

If you want to live in Arizona, apply to AZ and ASU and go to whichever one is cheaper. There is no difference.

Yea. They're pretty equal with job placement, however, Tempe is wayyyyy cooler than Tucson (AZ native)

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:30 pm

bk1 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Not sure about 63% of CU grads finding real time legal work. Maybe one year was an anomaly or something, but I think the school is better than that. Keep in mind people literally go there for the skiing. A different crowd for sure, but good news for you if you want to go there do well and get a jerb. Instead of competing with 95% of the other students you are down to maybe 75% or 80%. Don't respond if you don't know anything about Boulder.

It's possible, but looking at their website it's not looking promising. At 9 months out, their 2010 class is at 61% at best for full time, bar required jobs. Also, there is no guarantee you are going to do well.

You don't know Boulder/CU. 61% shouldn't be too far from the amount of people who plan on taking bar required work when they arrive Every year there are certainly lazy kids who wanted that and didn't get it, but those are few and far between. Culture is one thing TLS seems to draw a blank on. You won't find but a few "big law or bust" types at a school like CU. Most students there are OOS (105 to 60 last year), the school is hard to get into and expensive for OOS(medians been 164, 3.65ish for three cycles, and they had an increase in apps of like 15% last year when apps everywhere were down.. something like 3500 apps for the 160/170 spots, quite tough for a T1 in that range), and the main draw is the quality of life (been to northern colorado and you'll know what I mean). Additionally, its well known that there is not a large big law market in Denver. Those types you see frequent TLS don't often choose to go to CU.

Whoever said Santa Clara is way wrong, btw. That school is in a horrible market. A school like CU or UTK is in a very good position to get you a good job in Denver or Knox/Nash respectively, where a school like SCU will probably not get you a job in San Fran ATM.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:32 pm

SCU is a terrible choice. Private school cost + you're in line behind everyone from Cal, Stanford, UCLA, Davis and Hastings for the same jobs. The SF/SV legal market is big, but not that big.

smelltheglove

Postby smelltheglove » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:41 pm

GULC

Errzii

Postby Errzii » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:45 pm

smelltheglove wrote:GULC

If you're gonna troll at least put some effort into it, it's GeorgeTTTown.

smelltheglove

Postby smelltheglove » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:46 pm

Maine owns Maine. Enjoy vacation land.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”