UF vs. W & M vs. W & L

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ttunsehc
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:57 pm

UF vs. W & M vs. W & L

Postby ttunsehc » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:44 am

W&L with 40k/year
W&M with fellowship (10k in state waiver,4k stipend+ 6k scholarship/year)
UF (in state) with 14k/year

Someone else had the same predicament, but I thought I would tailor it specifically to my situation.
Estimated cost of attendance
UF total 34,599.80 - 14,000 scholly = 20,599.80 in debt
W&M total 42,000 - 20,000 scholly= 22,000 in debt
W&L total 56,400- 40,000 scholly= 16,400 in debt

W&M is at the top of my list because of clerkship placements. I am from Miami and went to UF so I am very familiar with Gainesville and Miami, I have some ties in Miami, but I am 99% sure I do not want to live in Miami and nowhere else is particularly appealing to me, so I don't need to stay in Florida.
W&L doesn't really appeal just because it is in the middle of nowhere and it's a tiny tiny town, but it is the most inexpensive. I also read that no one should move from their state to go to W&L. I know W&M places heavily in VA (like 50%) but it's still nationally known so I figure it would offer the most lateral movement in case I don't want to stay in VA.
But what are your opinions?

asdflawyer
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: UF vs. W & M vs. W & L

Postby asdflawyer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:50 am

I'm in the same boat as you. I asked TLS on a post a few days ago and it pretty much comes down to where you want to work after graduation. Everything outiside of the t14 is still pretty much regional. Decide based on your geographic preference and you can use your other offers to negotiate scholarship money as well. Hope that helps.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: UF vs. W & M vs. W & L

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:57 am

Do you want to work in VA or FL? It's pretty much that simple.

FL attracts many T14 grads, but VA is home to a T14. Therefore, you job prospects won't really be that outstanding at either.

*Note- go ahead and remove W&L from your options.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: UF vs. W & M vs. W & L

Postby MrAnon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:57 am

I'd say go to UF. Whether you want to live in Miami or not, Williamsburg and Lexington don't have anything on Florida, except the winters when you will be in school could be uncomfortable and sunless, as if that is a bonus.

If you do well at UF then you will have a lot of options and can get out of Florida, and you'll have roughly the same options as the best from W&L or W&M. If you do poorly? well then you would have done poorly at W&M or W&L, except at least now you'd be in the old state you know and can negotiate your way around the unemployment lines there easier than in a region of the country you don't know well like VA/DC.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: UF vs. W & M vs. W & L

Postby flcath » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:58 am

asdflawyer wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. I asked TLS on a post a few days ago and it pretty much comes down to where you want to work after graduation. Everything outiside of the t14 is still pretty much regional. Decide based on your geographic preference and you can use your other offers to negotiate scholarship money as well. Hope that helps.


No, he should *definitely* not choose UF. Though these schools have strong home markets, there is still an indisputable pecking order, which is the only way to explain the (dissimilar) NLJ 250 placement statistics.

W&M vs. W&L is more of a toss-up, but FWIW I've always favored W&M, and would be more than willing to pay $1,400 more for that degree (I believe their NLJ placement is higher, and the lay prestige is better).

EDIT: I should add that FL is a terrible place to be seeking work right now.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: UF vs. W & M vs. W & L

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:16 am

flcath wrote:
asdflawyer wrote:I'm in the same boat as you. I asked TLS on a post a few days ago and it pretty much comes down to where you want to work after graduation. Everything outiside of the t14 is still pretty much regional. Decide based on your geographic preference and you can use your other offers to negotiate scholarship money as well. Hope that helps.


No, he should *definitely* not choose UF. Though these schools have strong home markets, there is still an indisputable pecking order, which is the only way to explain the (dissimilar) NLJ 250 placement statistics.

W&M vs. W&L is more of a toss-up, but FWIW I've always favored W&M, and would be more than willing to pay $1,400 more for that degree (I believe their NLJ placement is higher, and the lay prestige is better).

EDIT: I should add that FL is a terrible place to be seeking work right now.


You are right that there is some preference by firms between these schools. However, any perceived preference is not worth choosing one over the others solely because of it.

Also, W&L's latest employment stats say half of the people employed at graduation were employed by the school.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: UF vs. W & M vs. W & L

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:17 am

W&L. Least amount of debt if you strike out.

User avatar
skirkland
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Re: UF vs. W & M vs. W & L

Postby skirkland » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:33 am

ttunsehc wrote:W&L with 40k/year
W&M with fellowship (10k in state waiver,4k stipend+ 6k scholarship/year)
UF (in state) with 14k/year

Someone else had the same predicament, but I thought I would tailor it specifically to my situation.
Estimated cost of attendance
UF total 34,599.80 - 14,000 scholly = 20,599.80 in debt
W&M total 42,000 - 20,000 scholly= 22,000 in debt
W&L total 56,400- 40,000 scholly= 16,400 in debt

W&M is at the top of my list because of clerkship placements. I am from Miami and went to UF so I am very familiar with Gainesville and Miami, I have some ties in Miami, but I am 99% sure I do not want to live in Miami and nowhere else is particularly appealing to me, so I don't need to stay in Florida.
W&L doesn't really appeal just because it is in the middle of nowhere and it's a tiny tiny town, but it is the most inexpensive. I also read that no one should move from their state to go to W&L. I know W&M places heavily in VA (like 50%) but it's still nationally known so I figure it would offer the most lateral movement in case I don't want to stay in VA.
But what are your opinions?


Hi, predicament twin! I was the op for this scenario. I think your calculations for w&m are incorrect. Oos is 52k/year. Your oos waiver brings you down to 42k and the remaining 6k+4k brings you down to 32k/year.

Still, after visiting w&l and w&m this week I will probably be choosing W&M mostly because my husband wouldn't be able to find work at UF or w&l. If not for this factor I probably would have chosen w&l. The town is tiny but adorable. It seems like the perfect place to stay focused on school.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blueapple, ophelia, theothercat and 8 guests