Georgetown or Miami? A little help, people.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Grizz

Re: Georgetown or Miami? A little help, people.

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:19 pm

Somewhere in the middle with a better scholarship that Miami. UT/Vandy with $ not an option? I wouldn't GULC sticker.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Grizz wrote:Somewhere in the middle with a better scholarship that Miami. UT/Vandy with $ not an option? I wouldn't GULC sticker.

But you'd GULC sticker over UM right? If those were the only two choices

gatorlaw

Postby gatorlaw » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks for all of your opinions.

By the by, my COL in Miami is greatly reduced by the fact that I already have an apartment in Miami. So I'm looking at GULC tuition + COL vs. Miami tuition.

Also, I just filled out my FAFSA and my need access apps, and my EFC is 0. I'm hoping this means GULC and/or Miami will offer me substantial need aid. Anybody know how much I could expect?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:32 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
Grizz wrote:Somewhere in the middle with a better scholarship that Miami. UT/Vandy with $ not an option? I wouldn't GULC sticker.

But you'd GULC sticker over UM right? If those were the only two choices

If I had applied to Vandy and Texas as well and didn't get in, yes. But if I hadn't applied, I'd sit out a cycle and give it a go. Massive debt isn't something to mess around with.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:33 pm

gatorlaw wrote:Thanks for all of your opinions.

By the by, my COL in Miami is greatly reduced by the fact that I already have an apartment in Miami. So I'm looking at GULC tuition + COL vs. Miami tuition.

Also, I just filled out my FAFSA and my need access apps, and my EFC is 0. I'm hoping this means GULC and/or Miami will offer me substantial need aid. Anybody know how much I could expect?

Need based aid at those schools means they'll give you loans (subsidized if you're lucky), not an actual grant or scholarship. So... yeeeah.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:34 pm

You will probably get 0 need based aid. Most schools that do it (not HYS) consider how much merit they've already given you when looking at need, and GULC does not have a reputation for giving need aid. If you do get any, it will probably be nominal.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Why would schools give need based aid? Need based aid is intended to save lower / middle income families money on tuition. Law students shouldn't depend on their families; they are expected to take out loans for law school and then pay them back with the money they make as a lawyer.

Of course, this doesn't make sense now that tuition is absurdly high and high paying jobs are scarce, but the schools don't seem to mind.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 pm

No UF/FSU with $$? Vandy with $?

Also, the idea of GULC sticker makes me actually want to recommend Miami at the $14k/year for OP. I get that GULC is an excellent school, but $200k+ for law school is just scary.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:42 pm

IMO this isnt even a question. If he wants to do law, the correct answer is GULC.

People tend to forget that there is opportunity cost of attending UMIAMI. Just because iits free or near free doesn't mean that if you become unemployed that you woudln't have wasted 3 years of your life. Especially with IBR, having 0 debt and no job doesn't necessarily put you in a a lot better position than no job and 200k debt. Since IBR caps your payments to 10% of your income and 20 years, the downside at both schools are pretty similar with the GULC/ no job + 200k being only slightly worse than Umiami/nojob/50k debt.

However, on the flip side, the upside at GULC is A LOT greater than Umiami. Roughly 40% of kids get good paying jobs. There are even stories of people below median getting biglaw or solid mid law jobs. However, u need to be in the top 20% to have a chance at getting a good midlaw/biglaw job.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:16 am

thexfactor wrote:IMO this isnt even a question. If he wants to do law, the correct answer is GULC.

People tend to forget that there is opportunity cost of attending UMIAMI. Just because iits free or near free doesn't mean that if you become unemployed that you woudln't have wasted 3 years of your life. Especially with IBR, having 0 debt and no job doesn't necessarily put you in a a lot better position than no job and 200k debt. Since IBR caps your payments to 10% of your income and 20 years, the downside at both schools are pretty similar with the GULC/ no job + 200k being only slightly worse than Umiami/nojob/50k debt.

However, on the flip side, the upside at GULC is A LOT greater than Umiami. Roughly 40% of kids get good paying jobs. There are even stories of people below median getting biglaw or solid mid law jobs. However, u need to be in the top 20% to have a chance at getting a good midlaw/biglaw job.

The assumption here being that IBR continues to exist.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”