Cornell vs. UT

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
msblaw89

Cornell vs. UT

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:14 pm

I am having a really hard time deciding between the two. I am most concerned with
1. Value of the degree
2. Mobility
3. Salary
4. I want to go into business law---> get work experience---> then become in house at a company

I think I am preferential to the NYC market, but my SO may transfer to San Antonio which isn't very far from Austin. I don't want to do long distance for 3 years ( but I will if I have to) and I also don't want to regret where I go to law school. Please help!

BruceWayne

Re: Cornell vs. UT

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:23 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I am having a really hard time deciding between the two. I am most concerned with
1. Value of the degree
2. Mobility
3. Salary
4. I want to go into business law---> get work experience---> then become in house at a company

I think I am preferential to the NYC market, but my SO may transfer to San Antonio which isn't very far from Austin. I don't want to do long distance for 3 years ( but I will if I have to) and I also don't want to regret where I go to law school. Please help!

Like the last guy said, the bolded settled it. Cornell and it's not close.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:23 pm

If I wasn't preferential to where I work and it was strictly based on quality of the school... then where?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:26 pm

NYC or Texas ? It's as simple as that.

P.S. This is not a NYU versus Columbia decision.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:32 pm

Aside from the Texas--> UT/ New York---> Cornell is there any real advantages/disadvantages of choosing one over the other?

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:36 pm

The NYC market is "better" than the Texas market so in terms of overall job prospects, Cornell is the better choice. It sounds like you want biglaw, so you are more likely to get that at Cornell than at UT. I could be wrong but I believe Texas has had below 40% biglaw placement for the past couple years.

You can look at LST too, Cornell just seems significantly stronger.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:42 pm

msblaw89 wrote:I am having a really hard time deciding between the two. I am most concerned with
1. Value of the degree
2. Mobility
3. Salary

I would never move anywhere w/o my SO. Texas for that reason alone.

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:The NYC market is "better" than the Texas market so in terms of overall job prospects, Cornell is the better choice. It sounds like you want biglaw, so you are more likely to get that at Cornell than at UT. I could be wrong but I believe Texas has had below 40% biglaw placement for the past couple years.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true - Dallas and Houston are filled with corporations and law firms, and even graduating from a lower-ranked (but still good) school like SMU can land you a biglaw gig. I don't know the exact stats either, but the UT law students I know had very little trouble finding jobs.

That being said, Cornell is ranked higher and has the "T14" prestige. If you're concerned about mobility, Cornell may give you more options.

moneybagsphd

Postby moneybagsphd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:48 pm

hookem12 wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:The NYC market is "better" than the Texas market so in terms of overall job prospects, Cornell is the better choice. It sounds like you want biglaw, so you are more likely to get that at Cornell than at UT. I could be wrong but I believe Texas has had below 40% biglaw placement for the past couple years.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true - Dallas and Houston are filled with corporations and law firms, and even graduating from a lower-ranked (but still good) school like SMU can land you a biglaw gig. I don't know the exact stats either, but the UT law students I know had very little trouble finding jobs.

That being said, Cornell is ranked higher and has the "T14" prestige. If you're concerned about mobility, Cornell may give you more options.

Subtle UT trolling. UT's the new kid.

hookem12

Postby hookem12 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I admit, I'm probably/definitely biased

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:54 pm

hookem12 wrote:

I don't see how your post disputes what I said about the NYC market being stronger? We can only go by the statistics, even before the crash Texas was placing less than 40% of its grads into biglaw, and for 2010 only 26% compared to Cornell's 58%. I think the consensus is that we shouldn't expect Cornell to have such great placement again going forward, but its track record is just much better than UT's.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150004

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

Short answer is if you care more about staying with SO, than go to UT. If you care more about landing a biglaw gig or being in NY, go with Cornell.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks for the advice.... I just wish my SO would be okay with Syracuse

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 pm

NYC and BigLaw both favor Cornell.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”