Stanford Law or

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
1988AndX

Stanford Law or

Postby 1988AndX » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm

McKinsey?

Which would lead to a better career path in terms of money and stability?
For Stanford Law, the standard path seems to be law school -> public interest/government/biglaw -> unknown
For McKinsey, the standard path seems to be Business Analyst -> business school (hopefully Stanford or Harvard) -> Associate -> unknown

For the short term:
Although law school costs a lot, being a Business Analyst (and even first- and second-year Associate) doesn't pay much compared to working in biglaw. It seems that stability is about the same, with both < medicine and > investment banking.

Therefore, it seems that the difference would lie in the long term returns of these two options. Which has better potential long term (i.e. 20 years down the road)?

Or am I over thinking this and it really depends on specific goals and interests of each person?
Last edited by 1988AndX on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Re: Stanford Law or

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:13 pm

1988AndX wrote:McKinsey?

Which would lead to a better career path in terms of money and stability?
For Stanford Law, the standard path seems to be law school -> public interest/government/biglaw -> unknown
For McKinsey, the standard path seems to be Business Analyst -> business school (hopefully Stanford or Harvard) -> Associate -> unknown

For the short term:
Although law school costs a lot, being a Business Analyst (and even first- and second-year Associate) doesn't pay much compared to working in biglaw. It seems that stability is about the same, with both > medicine and < investment banking.

Therefore, it seems that the difference would lie in the long term returns of these two options. Which has better potential long term (i.e. 20 years down the road)?

Or am I over thinking this and it really depends on specific goals and interests of each person?

This is entirely dependent on your personal goals. Although I think the real answer is to ask Stanford law for a 2 year deferral and then work at Mckinsey for 2 years. Although personally I would hate working Mckinsey (long hours with lots of travel and very quant focused job).

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Jesus, humblebrag much?

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:25 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Jesus, humblebrag much?

Yeah. I have a hard time believing an adult can't make this Sophie's choice by themselves so they're turning to anonymous internet strangers for help.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:27 pm

1988AndX

Postby 1988AndX » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Nelson wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Jesus, humblebrag much?

Yeah. I have a hard time believing an adult can't make this Sophie's choice by themselves so they're turning to anonymous internet strangers for help.

Opportunity cost is high either way. Just want to get as many perspectives as possible. Asking for perspectives isn't the same as looking to make a decision based on what strangers write.

icpb

Postby icpb » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:35 pm

It really depends on your priorities. If you are interested in law (or even financial niches such as distressed debt, M&A, etc.), Stanford Law + a couple of years of biglaw can be valuable. However, if you are set on consulting, then working as a McKinsey Business Analyst could be an appropriate option, even though making Associate at McKinsey from Stanford Law could still be a nice deal (and a likely one if the economy picks up), considering your law school cost would be offset by the low compensation during your time as a Business Analyst.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 pm

It seems that stability is about the same, with both > medicine and < investment banking.

What does the above mean?

Are you saying stability is greater than medicine and less than investment banking?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”