Wharton PhD in Business Ethics and Legal Studies?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
johnkim1982

Wharton PhD in Business Ethics and Legal Studies?

Postby johnkim1982 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi everyone:

Anyone have any insights about Wharton's PhD program in Business Ethics and Legal Studies? It sounds pretty great, but I don't know if it would go beyond what one could learn in law school or help with prospects in academia?

If you were to choose between doing a dual JD/PhD at Penn with Wharton's Legal Studies PhD program for free (plus stipend) or going to HYS with 120k in loans, what would you choose?

Thanks for your input!

Grizz

Re: Wharton PhD in Business Ethics and Legal Studies?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Wouldn't waste time with the PhD, but I might take Penn for free over H, thought maybe not if H only cost you 120k

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Grizz wrote:Wouldn't waste time with the PhD, but I might take Penn for free over H, thought maybe not if H only cost you 120k

It's not a waste of time if the OP wants to teach business or legal ethics at a business school or law school. It's a rather narrowly tailored PhD, so it's not very widely useful, but if the OP wants to go into academia for that, the PhD would be very much useful in getting a position in a business or law school.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:51 pm

I wouldn't plan ex ante on going into legal academia.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:55 pm

OP, neither of the above posters are wrong, as it is mostly a matter of opinion.

However, I would be weary of an "ethics" PhD. Most business schools currently only seems interested in candidates in finance, marketing/operations, accounting, and in other similar fields. Honestly, I have never seen a business school posting for an ethics assistant professor.

In terms of law school, the same problem exists. Legal Profession is somewhat of a throw away course that most law schools just give to anyone (criminal law/con law professors, maybe?). So, I'm not sure the PhD would be helpful for even that.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:However, I would be weary of an "ethics" PhD. Most business schools currently only seems interested in candidates in finance, marketing/operations, accounting, and in other similar fields. Honestly, I have never seen a business school posting for an ethics assistant professor.

I agree with you that this particular PhD program would not be very useful for legal academia, but I have indeed seen a few postings for business ethics professorships at business schools. However, the ones I know about have mostly gone to Philosophy PhD applicants, perhaps the OP should go that route if they are interested in business/legal ethics.

johnkim1982

Postby johnkim1982 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:24 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I tend to agree with the gist of what's been posted above. Let me throw out a few other thoughts, though, just to see if I can cover all the bases.

I'm also wondering if the way business school ethics and law school academics jobs aren't being filled by Wharton PhD grads has anything to do with how small and relatively new that Wharton PhD program is though - maybe the program will become more dominant as the years?

As for thinking about legal academia while choosing law schools, I agree that it's not wise to choose a law school solely on academic prospects. Nevertheless, if a Penn JD was free or near-free, maybe it's not such a bad proposition? Perhaps employers would see a Wharton PhD and not be biased against it like other PhDs if I were to go into securities law? Plus, the Wharton PhD could open up chances at both business and law schools, and from what I see, business school job prospects in ethics might not be too bad in five or six years, especially since I'm open to living abroad. But then again, a JD from Harvard or Yale might compensate for the debt I'd incur (some of which will probably be forgiven) in opportunities, particularly overseas?

What do you think?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:OP, neither of the above posters are wrong, as it is mostly a matter of opinion.

However, I would be weary of an "ethics" PhD. Most business schools currently only seems interested in candidates in finance, marketing/operations, accounting, and in other similar fields. Honestly, I have never seen a business school posting for an ethics assistant professor.

In terms of law school, the same problem exists. Legal Profession is somewhat of a throw away course that most law schools just give to anyone (criminal law/con law professors, maybe?). So, I'm not sure the PhD would be helpful for even that.

Weary = tired
Wary = cautious

That is all.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:18 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:OP, neither of the above posters are wrong, as it is mostly a matter of opinion.

Weary = tired
Wary = cautious

That is all.

It was 10:55 and I had been drinking?

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:21 am

I love giving people career advice while I'm drinking.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:25 am

InGoodFaith wrote:I love giving people career advice while I'm drinking.

+1

Not bad.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:37 am

OP, you sound like the teaching type, not the gunner type.

In my opinion, if you go the Ethics PhD/JD route, you'd stand out as a prospective clerk. The training is almost tailor made for clerkship.

Transferthrowaway

Postby Transferthrowaway » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:39 am

1988AndX

Postby 1988AndX » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:55 am

It's hard to assess these opportunities without knowing how long the JD/PhD program is.

johnkim1982

Postby johnkim1982 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:05 am

4 years of coursework as opposed to 3. But have to expect another 2 for dissertation writing for the degree.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:18 pm

pcwcecac wrote:OP, you sound like the teaching type, not the gunner type.

In my opinion, if you go the Ethics PhD/JD route, you'd stand out as a prospective clerk. The training is almost tailor made for clerkship.

What? No it doesn't. That's dumb.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Grizz wrote:
pcwcecac wrote:OP, you sound like the teaching type, not the gunner type.

What? No it doesn't. That's dumb.

love you too Grizz

suchana

Postby suchana » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:44 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
Grizz wrote:Wouldn't waste time with the PhD, but I might take Penn for free over H, thought maybe not if H only cost you 120k

It's not a waste of time if the OP wants to teach business or legal ethics at a business school or law school. It's a rather narrowly tailored PhD, so it's not very widely useful, but if the OP wants to go into academia for that, the PhD would be very much useful in getting a position in a business or law school.

Does teaching in law school require a law degree from law school first?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:49 am

suchana wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:

Does teaching in law school require a law degree from law school first?

Not necessarily - some schools hire people with PhDs who don't have JDs - but I'd say the vast majority of law profs have a JD, sometimes (more often these days?) on top of another degree.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:03 am

OP - are you required to take moral philosophy courses in a graduate philosophy department for the degree? It would seem pivotal but that's my bias to philosophy speaking.

cotiger

Postby cotiger » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:16 am

Otunga wrote:OP - are you required to take moral philosophy courses in a graduate philosophy department for the degree? It would seem pivotal but that's my bias to philosophy speaking.

Two year old necro.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”