What do you think about TEXAS TECH?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
knznick

What do you think about TEXAS TECH?

Postby knznick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:56 pm

What is the general consensus on Texas Tech? Are there any current students who would like to share their thoughts?

BeautifulSW

Re: What do you think about TEXAS TECH?

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:40 pm

Not a student but over my career in New Mexico I have dealt with a LOT of Texas Tech grads and I'm impressed. If you can get in as a resident, the school is much cheaper than most and the degree is very salable in the Texas Panhandle, South Plains regions (Amarillo, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa) and Trans-Pecos (El Paso). Texas Tech also sells well in at least the Eastern third of N.Mex. (Roswell, Hobbs, and smaller cities including the Permian Basin Oil Patch.

Texas Tech is often the second choice of New Mexicans who can't get into UNM Law.

I do not know how Texas Tech folks do in the rest of Texas but there, you'd be up against UT Austin and the like.

Before you commit to Tech, spend a little while in the areas I've mentioned. Living out there is definitely NOT for everyone. I personally really like Lubbock but believe me, if Central Park West is your dream address, you won't be happy on the High Plains.

Trivia note: "Texas Tech" is the name of the school. "Tech" isn't short for anything. Don't know how this came to be.

knznick

Postby knznick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:09 pm

The good news is that I'm a Texas resident AND I live in the panhandle so I know what I'd be getting into! The other piece of good news is that they would guarantee me $7500 in scholarship money based on my grades and LSAT (I have the GPA but only need to score a 156 to get the money). This seems like a good deal to me!

knznick

Postby knznick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 pm

I wonder if my grades (3.65/164) would get me any addition money? Has anybody applied with similar numbers and gotten a scholarship?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:36 pm

knznick wrote: (I have the GPA but only need to score a 156 to get the money)

knznick wrote:I wonder if my grades (3.65/164) would get me any addition money? Has anybody applied with similar numbers and gotten a scholarship?

Did you get a 164 or not?

3.65/164 should net you a full ride at Texas Tech.

http://texastech.lawschoolnumbers.com/a ... ,8&type=jd

Also:

Texas Tech is often the second choice of New Mexicans who can't get into UNM Law.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:12 pm

knznick wrote:I wonder if my grades (3.65/164) would get me any addition money? Has anybody applied with similar numbers and gotten a scholarship?

If in fact these are your numbers, I don't imagine you'll be paying much of anything for Texas Tech.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”