Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall (with $)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall (with $)

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:01 pm

iceicebaby wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:Best of luck with everything man.

Thanks, man... I hope it all works out as well. It would suck to be eating my own words in a couple of years.

Best of luck to you as well!!! Thanks for the advice and feedback.

I think you'll be eating them, along with ramen noodles and living in your parents basement, if I were to guess. But hey, maybe not. Good luck.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:42 am

romothesavior wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:Best of luck with everything man.

Thanks, man... I hope it all works out as well. It would suck to be eating my own words in a couple of years.

Best of luck to you as well!!! Thanks for the advice and feedback.

I think you'll be eating them, along with ramen noodles and living in your parents basement, if I were to guess. But hey, maybe not. Good luck.

Dude, what is wrong with you? You act like decent TT schools are fucking Cooley or something. Go be bitter elsewhere.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:27 pm

iceicebaby wrote:Go be bitter elsewhere.

I have a job and love law school. Not bitter in the slightest.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:41 pm

romothesavior wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:Go be bitter elsewhere.

I have a job and love law school. Not bitter in the slightest.

Whatever, don't care. Just don't tell me, without any rhyme or reason, that I will be eating ramen in my parent's basement after graduating from a TT ... DON'T YOU PUT THAT EVIL ON ME, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onE8utryxE8

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Well played with the reference. *tips cap*

I wish I could convince you otherwise, but either way, good luck man.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:06 pm

I really like the way this thread has ended peacefully at last, but I would like to bring up another option.

If you join the NJ National Guard you'll go to Rutgers for free. Just a suggestion.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:10 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:I really like the way this thread has ended peacefully at last, but I would like to bring up another option.

If you join the NJ National Guard you'll go to Rutgers for free. Just a suggestion.

Are you trying to hit your recruiting quota by posting this in every thread? What makes you think a guy who's not willing to expend the minimal effort required to retake the LSAT to get a better law school option would join the army to do the same?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:15 pm

2LT_CPG wrote:I really like the way this thread has ended peacefully at last, but I would like to bring up another option.

2LT_CPG wrote:The NJ National Guard isn't deploying anywhere anytime soon. Want an easy way to avoid debt? Enlist as a PVT in the NJARNG and take advantage of that state's ridiculously awesome tuition waiver and go to Rutgers Newark or Rutgers Camden.

I'm an NYARNG officer. Trust me. This isn't 2005. The Guard, and to a larger extent, the entire Army, is deploying sparingly now that Iraq is done and Afg is winding down. You'll do drill and two weeks in the summer, maybe a hurricane call-up. Free law school. The get out after four years. You won't even have to take promotion to SGT so you won't have any responsibilities.

Scooped by yourself. I smell a recruiter.

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:32 pm

Not a recruiter. I'm in the NYARNG.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:Well played with the reference. *tips cap*

I wish I could convince you otherwise, but either way, good luck man.

Thank you sir. Listen, I know I am taking a risk here. I would chalk it up to naivete, but I'm decently informed about the horrors of the legal field. I guess I am just confident that I will land with my two feet on the ground, whether that is foolish or not. I rely on good karma and a drive to succeed despite any hindrances I may have (i.e. my utter inability to take standardized tests).

I look forward to getting my party on in Hoboken, anyway. My creditors can deal with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Postby Odd Future Wolf Gang » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Wasn't there a thread on here a couple of months ago by some dude from GWU? I remember he made some thread a couple years back about how he is going to hustle and work super hard to land NYC biglaw from GWU, when pretty much everyone in the thread warned him not to go and that it was a terrible life decision.

Then the dude makes a new thread like a year later asking for advice and about how he is unemployed at GWU saddled with SOUL CRUSHING DEBT lol. And people who remembered him from the earlier thread all went, "I told you so lol."

Tl;dr, OP, copy your posts in this thread and paste them into a word document. Then save it and put it away somewhere. Open it up two years later and try not to cry.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:Wasn't there a thread on here a couple of months ago by some dude from GWU? I remember he made some thread a couple years back about how he is going to hustle and work super hard to land NYC biglaw from GWU, when pretty much everyone in the thread warned him not to go and that it was a terrible life decision.

Then the dude makes a new thread like a year later asking for advice and about how he is unemployed at GWU saddled with SOUL CRUSHING DEBT lol. And people who remembered him from the earlier thread all went, "I told you so lol."

Tl;dr, OP, copy your posts in this thread and paste them into a word document. Then save it and put it away somewhere. Open it up two years later and try not to cry.

pugilistjd

Postby pugilistjd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:But hey, what could a forum full of actual law students and lawyers who know the market have to say that would mean anything? Apparently nothing. Have fun.

There are no lawyers on this forum.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:21 am

pugilistjd wrote:
romothesavior wrote:But hey, what could a forum full of actual law students and lawyers who know the market have to say that would mean anything? Apparently nothing. Have fun.

There are no non-bitter lawyers giving free, sound advice on this forum.

ftfy

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:21 pm

iceicebaby wrote:
pugilistjd wrote:

ftfy

+1

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:30 pm

iceicebaby wrote:
pugilistjd wrote:

ftfy

I was going to just let this thread die (I'm done trying to talk you out of it) and let pugilist's comment go, but come on man. That's a silly thing to say. Most of the practicing attorneys on TLS are helpful, and I have not seen too many bitter lawyers around here. And even if there are some, it is funny that you would disregard their opinions just because you don't like the content. These are people who are, you know, actually practicing law. Might be a good idea to at least consider and internalize their message, because they were in your shoes looking to do the same thing you are not all that long ago.

You should talk to reasonableman, he is a great poster with a wealth of information. He went to a crappy school (may have even been one of these two) and he has gotten off to a pretty good start to his career. He is not bitter, and he is full of sound advice. But he is the first to tell people not to go to law schools like his. He's a pretty solid dude.

ETA: Odd Future Wolf Dude, I think you're talking about this one

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:
pugilistjd wrote:

ftfy

I was going to just let this thread die (I'm done trying to talk you out of it) and let pugilist's comment go, but come on man. That's a silly thing to say. Most of the practicing attorneys on TLS are helpful, and I have not seen too many bitter lawyers around here. And even if there are some, it is funny that you would disregard their opinions just because you don't like the content. These are people who are, you know, actually practicing law. Might be a good idea to at least consider and internalize their message, because they were in your shoes looking to do the same thing you are not all that long ago.

You should talk to reasonableman, he is a great poster with a wealth of information. He went to a crappy school (may have even been one of these two) and he has gotten off to a pretty good start to his career. He is not bitter, and he is full of sound advice. But he is the first to tell people not to go to law schools like his. He's a pretty solid dude.

ETA: Odd Future Wolf Dude, I think you're talking about this one

I didn't mean to belittle what anyone has contributed in any way, I just see a lot of people on TLS that are indeed bitter and it's hard to disseminate the legitimate advice from the overly cautious and biased ones. I have lawyers where I work that say both "go" and "don't go" which has led me to realize that law school is made for some people, but not others. I've just decided that I'm the former, that's all. And if it is any consolation, I plan on pairing my JD with the MBA to help my prospects and increase my options if I need to.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 pm

iceicebaby wrote:I plan on pairing my JD with the MBA to help my prospects and increase my options if I need to.

:|

Okay.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:10 pm

iceicebaby wrote:if it is any consolation, I plan on pairing my JD with the MBA to help my prospects and increase my options if I need to

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:23 pm

Lol... I will stfu in my own thread I guess. I am just amazed at the fact that many of you seem to think law school isn't worth it for me and still am waiting to hear WHY exactly other than "these schools are dumps", etc. So until someone ACTUALLY explains why Rutgers and Seton Hall are worthless to go to, I guess I will just let this die.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:32 pm

iceicebaby wrote:Lol... I will stfu in my own thread I guess. I am just amazed at the fact that many of you seem to think law school isn't worth it for me and still am waiting to hear WHY exactly other than "these schools are dumps", etc. So until someone ACTUALLY explains why Rutgers and Seton Hall are worthless to go to, I guess I will just let this die.

You have less than a 10% chance to get biglaw and a 20-25% chance to to make over 100k which is what you need to pay off your debt. Look at the sticky at the top of the forum. And according to LST only 64% of people are reporting salary. Does a 75-90% chance of failure sound like good odds to you? I think this has already been explained but you don't want to believe it.

I don't know shit about business school but I'm fairly sure working as a paralegal isn't what MBA programs are looking for....

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:34 pm

iceicebaby wrote:Lol... I will stfu in my own thread I guess. I am just amazed at the fact that many of you seem to think law school isn't worth it for me and still am waiting to hear WHY exactly other than "these schools are dumps", etc. So until someone ACTUALLY explains why Rutgers and Seton Hall are worthless to go to, I guess I will just let this die.

I think law school itself may actually be for you. You seem like you really want to go, you've talked to attorneys, and you've worked as a paralegal so you presumably understand the work involved. The reason people are telling you not to go to Seton Hall or Rutgers are because of the job prospects coming out of law school. I think that has been laid out for you many times. The investment does not make financial sense. If you really want to go to law school, great. These are just not good investments. I think we've explained this thoroughly.

Also, a JD/MBA is not a good idea for the majority of students. It is unlikely to open any doors that would not already be open, especially from these schools. It is a good move for some people, but it is something you should really have a plan for, not just "Oh I should get an MBA cause I like business." The fact that you are touting the MBA and saying "Oh its cool guyz, I'm getting my JD/MBA" just shows everyone that you haven't done your homework and do not have a clue what you are getting into.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:35 pm

Ask for advice, then complain when you get it.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:38 pm

Mr. Somebody wrote:

You have less than a 10% chance to get biglaw and a 20-25% chance to to make over 100k which is what you need to pay off your debt. Look at the sticky at the top of the forum. And according to LST only 64% of people are reporting salary. Does a 75-90% chance of failure sound like good odds to you? I think this has already been explained but you don't want to believe it.

I don't know shit about business school but I'm fairly sure working as a paralegal isn't what MBA programs are looking for....

You had me at "I'm fairly sure working as a paralegal isn't". Way to expose your ignorance there, buddy. I have completed post-grad coursework in finance as well as 3 years WE within a corporate/business law field, so try again.

But seriously, your assumption that not being in the top 10 - 25 % = failure is absurd. I guess 75% of their students each year just join the bread lines, huh? Get real.

Mr. Somebody

Postby Mr. Somebody » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:46 pm

iceicebaby wrote:
Mr. Somebody wrote:

You had me at "I'm fairly sure working as a paralegal isn't". Way to expose your ignorance there, buddy. I have completed post-grad coursework in finance as well as 3 years WE within a corporate/business law field, so try again.

But seriously, your assumption that not being in the top 10 - 25 % = failure is absurd. I guess 75% of their students each year just join the bread lines, huh? Get real.

You said you were working as a paralegal before.... doesn't matter what field you're working in, you're in a support role. Either way it doesn't sound like you have the type of work experience business schools usually look for.

I didn't say the other 75% would be unemployed. Let me ask you, what do you think those people are doing since they aren't getting biglaw, clerkships, or PI positions?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”