Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall (with $)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pugilistjd

Re: Rutgers-Newark vs. Seton Hall (with $)

Postby pugilistjd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:09 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
pugilistjd wrote: seriously, there are way better places to be poor in.

Like Tulane.

Class of 2015! :D

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:13 pm

pugilistjd wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Like Tulane.

I know. I stalked your post history before typing that.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:23 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
pugilistjd wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Like Tulane.

I know. I stalked your post history before typing that.

I thought about applying there but ultimately decided it was too far from the woman, friends and family.

I'm not that keen on the idea of getting stuck in NJ, but honestly I feel like there are way worse places to be stuck (i.e. the midwest and much of the south imho). I really like CT as I am from there and think it's a really nice state to live and work in, but am not keen on QU if I end up getting dinged at UConn off the waitlist. Mostly, I am waiting to hear back from St. John's, Cardozo and Brooklyn, but I suspect the latter two would have to be at sticker prices which I'm really trying to avoid.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Last edited by 20130312 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:34 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:It's not about where you'd like to get stuck, it's about where you CAN get stuck. This whole thread, people have probably assumed you were from NJ because of the choices. You do realize that, as someone that's not even from Jersey, you're going to have an incredibly difficult time getting a job in NJ even if you're at the top of your class?

Is this based off of a networking thing? Should I be targeting schools that are where I have gotten my WE? I am from CT and have worked in Hartford, CT, southern CT, central PA and Manhattan. I have a girlfriend working in NYC, so the draw to these particular NJ schools is that they were still right near NYC so that I can still share a 1 BR/Alcove studio with her without breaking the bank too much for the area.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:54 pm

iceicebaby wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:Oh okay, I gotcha. Good point. Would the same be true coming from Seton Hall, or does that school's reach extend beyond NJ?

Seton Hall is a regional school for North Jersey. It doesn't extend outside of Jersey, not even to NYC.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I thought. So the 40 or so graduates that get jobs at NLJ250 firms (as stated by the NLJ in their go-to list) are pretty much all in Jersey right? Not that it REALLY matters to me, but I would like to go to a place that has more flexibility than that.

I would guess that close to half of them work in NY. There are firms in NY that recruit from the top of the class at Seton Hall, even in the V10. They are all coif at the least, of course. This doesn't mean it's a good idea to go there to get a NY job. It is behind at least 5-6 other schools just in the NY market, not to mention the whole T14.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:11 pm

Wholigan wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:Oh okay, I gotcha. Good point. Would the same be true coming from Seton Hall, or does that school's reach extend beyond NJ?

Seton Hall is a regional school for North Jersey. It doesn't extend outside of Jersey, not even to NYC.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I thought. So the 40 or so graduates that get jobs at NLJ250 firms (as stated by the NLJ in their go-to list) are pretty much all in Jersey right? Not that it REALLY matters to me, but I would like to go to a place that has more flexibility than that.

I would guess that close to half of them work in NY. There are firms in NY that recruit from the top of the class at Seton Hall, even in the V10. They are all coif at the least, of course. This doesn't mean it's a good idea to go there to get a NY job. It is behind at least 5-6 other schools just in the NY market, not to mention the whole T14.

I would rank 25-30 schools above Seton Hall for NYC biglawl.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:23 pm

iceicebaby wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:It's not about where you'd like to get stuck, it's about where you CAN get stuck. This whole thread, people have probably assumed you were from NJ because of the choices. You do realize that, as someone that's not even from Jersey, you're going to have an incredibly difficult time getting a job in NJ even if you're at the top of your class?

Is this based off of a networking thing? Should I be targeting schools that are where I have gotten my WE? I am from CT and have worked in Hartford, CT, southern CT, central PA and Manhattan. I have a girlfriend working in NYC, so the draw to these particular NJ schools is that they were still right near NYC so that I can still share a 1 BR/Alcove studio with her without breaking the bank too much for the area.
iceicebaby wrote:

After reading this (and the back and forth for seven pages), I think you need to stick it out another year, retake and reapply to try to get UConn instate if you don't get off the waitlist. Jersey is very insular and the placement from Rutgers and Seton Hall outside of NJ is very poor. If you have extensive experience outside of NJ, and are not from there, it's going to be tough to compete for jobs against people with local networks and geographic ties.

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:34 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
iceicebaby wrote:

iceicebaby wrote:

After reading this (and the back and forth for seven pages), I think you need to stick it out another year, retake and reapply to try to get UConn instate if you don't get off the waitlist. Jersey is very insular and the placement from Rutgers and Seton Hall outside of NJ is very poor. If you have extensive experience outside of NJ, and are not from there, it's going to be tough to compete for jobs against people with local networks and geographic ties.

Thanks for your added input, gents (and ladies?). I just want to note that I have other schools that I am waiting to hear from, so it's not like it is either Rutgers or Seton Hall or don't go for me right meow. My LSN profile is ajdrYNWA if you care at all to look at the others I'm waiting on.

I just want to thank you guys (and gals?) again for all of the help and advice.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:42 pm

OP, would agree with the advice of re-taking until you can get in-state at UConn. Sounds like most of your WE is in CT and you have extensive ties to CT.

NJ is tough, because honestly -- the firms are mostly looking for T14'ers (plus schools like BU/BC) with NJ ties. They know they can get "big name" schools right now (although I won't know this for sure until the NJ Law Journal puts out the summer classes this year in which case, I'll probably post a thread in the employment forum).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:56 pm

keg411 wrote:OP, would agree with the advice of re-taking until you can get in-state at UConn. Sounds like most of your WE is in CT and you have extensive ties to CT.

NJ is tough, because honestly -- the firms are mostly looking for T14'ers (plus schools like BU/BC) with NJ ties. They know they can get "big name" schools right now (although I won't know this for sure until the NJ Law Journal puts out the summer classes this year in which case, I'll probably post a thread in the employment forum).

^ This is a person you should listen to.

Also, how is this thread still going? :lol: It's like every time it is on the way towards death, it is resurrected.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:
keg411 wrote:OP, would agree with the advice of re-taking until you can get in-state at UConn. Sounds like most of your WE is in CT and you have extensive ties to CT.

Also, how is this thread still going? :lol: It's like every time it is on the way towards death, it is resurrected.

This thread is Brett Favre's career!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:13 pm

lawl

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 am

Grizz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

This thread is Brett Favre's career!

accidentally laughed out loud during a conference call when i read that

iceicebaby

Postby iceicebaby » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:59 am

Yeah, I'm surprised people didn't just say g.f.y. on page 2 and left it at that.

Seriously though, I appreciate all of the input. I'm still praying to Buddha and Tim Tebow that UConn lets my sorry ass in off the waitlist or so I don't have to /self with these decisions.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”