getting a job = connections? or actually working hard

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ypark87

getting a job = connections? or actually working hard

Postby ypark87 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 pm

The other thread down below has raised an interesting question: How much of getting a job out of law school has to do with networking and making connections (and nothing to do with what school you went to or your grades)? Or is it truly, if you actually work hard, you can get a great job out of law school?

What do you think?

TLS_noobie

Re: getting a job = connections? or actually working hard

Postby TLS_noobie » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:14 pm

I am not sure that anyone can truly have a definitive answer to this. You will probably get skeptics, cynics, optimists, and pessimists in this thread saying one or the other but I am not sure that it is just one or the other. I am going to venture a guess - and yes this is just a guess - but getting a job out of law school is similar to getting a job anywhere in that:

Awesome connection = set
Awesome grades = set
Awesome grades + awesome connection = super set^2
Crappy anything (be it connections, grades, or both) = then it's a crap shoot

The economy really doesn't have an impact on you if you are one of the first three (but it does affect what is considered "awesome" I am sure) but how crappy the market is does make a difference on the "crap shoot" effect. People who were mediocre connection-wise and grade-wise probably wouldn't be too worried about getting a job they liked back when the markets were good but judging by how tough the job markets are now I'm willing to bet that unless you have awesome something, getting a job will prove to be more difficult than a few years back.

This is all just conjecture and so this reply will either be trumped by a response from someone who actually knows something about the job market. But this is my 2 cents coming from a TLS noob ;)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:20 pm

ypark87 wrote:The other thread down below has raised an interesting question: How much of getting a job out of law school has to do with networking and making connections (and nothing to do with what school you went to or your grades)? Or is it truly, if you actually work hard, you can get a great job out of law school?

What do you think?

Best to work hard and get good grades just in case it matters.

italics=sarcasm

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 pm

It depends. If you get a job through OCI it has nothing to do with connections. Generally getting a job through OCI requires certain kinds of grades from certain kinds of schools. After that it seems like a sliding scale to me. On one end you have mass mailing and getting a job that way (which isn't necessarily about networking/connections and is much closer to OCI) and on the other end you have networking your ass off to meet lawyers and form connections. It's also important to note that the type of job matters (e.g.biglaw SA's are often mostly school/grades).

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Also depends on your school. You don't need much in the way of connections, or above-median grades, to still pretty much be guaranteed a job out of HY. Coming out of a TTT/TTTT, you'd better have stellar grades, good connections, great interviewing skills AND a lot of just plain luck. (And imagine a rough sliding scale between the two extremes.)

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:01 pm

That seems too simplistic. Several family friends have offered me courtesy interviews, but if I don't have the grades I'm not going to get anything. So, I guess my answer is to try to have both.

If you have good grades at a top school, you'd be fine without connections.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”