Scholly vs higher ranking

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
WVUUG2012
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby WVUUG2012 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:44 pm

Hey all. I have put in about 12 applications in so far. i have only heard back from a few of them. one is the infamous Florida Coastal. before everyone on here jumps on me, i know the risks of ttt and tttt. my question is should i take what is basically a full ride to coastal or go to a t3 with less $ or a t1 or t2 with no money? and once again please spare me the "just dont go" or "you are better off killing yourself" or any else of this nature

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Don't forget the extremely tight stipulations schools put on their scholarships.

Which other schools are options and where do you want to end up?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby gaud » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:48 pm

depends on a lot of things.

where do you want to live?

which t1 and/or t2 schools?

EDIT: damn Tiago beat me to it

User avatar
WVUUG2012
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby WVUUG2012 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:51 pm

the other schools i have applied to are hostra cuny nyls syracuse penn st mich st and depaul. I would love to live in nyc or chi but i know that can be very expensive (grew up in chicago). i would have to maintain a 2.8 gpa at coastal to keep my scholly 2L. 30 grand a year in scholarship $ is hard to turn down but id much rather attend school elsewhere

User avatar
WVUUG2012
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby WVUUG2012 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:52 pm

Coastal was just a fall back school. i had no idea i would receive such a significant sum of money

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby gaud » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 pm

without knowing your stats it's going to be hard to tell which decision is 'best'


personally I would go somewhere other than Coastal but it still depends on other factors. what would be your total cost of attendance at one of your t1 or t2 options?? sticker? maybe a little scholly $ ?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 pm

WVUUG2012 wrote:the other schools i have applied to are hostra cuny nyls syracuse penn st mich st and depaul. I would love to live in nyc or chi but i know that can be very expensive (grew up in chicago). i would have to maintain a 2.8 gpa at coastal to keep my scholly 2L. 30 grand a year in scholarship $ is hard to turn down but id much rather attend school elsewhere


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_la ... GPA_curves

Coastal curves to a 2.5.

I'd stay away. Try to get money from a different school and with looser stips.

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby TheZoid » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Personally I think none of those schools give you great prospects, and given that you need to take the money. Coastal may not be the best option, but maybe a TTT with $$ or $$$ if possible would be best. Going to a T1 or T2 at sticker is risky, as you will have to finish way up there in your class to get a viable job and manage the pile of debt that comes with sticker. Not saying you couldn't do it, but it's unlikely and I think it would be a poor decision give your circumstances. Go to a TTT in your region with money and hope for the best.

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby zanda » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:03 pm

WVUUG2012 wrote:the other schools i have applied to are hostra cuny nyls syracuse penn st mich st and depaul. I would love to live in nyc or chi but i know that can be very expensive (grew up in chicago). i would have to maintain a 2.8 gpa at coastal to keep my scholly 2L. 30 grand a year in scholarship $ is hard to turn down but id much rather attend school elsewhere

None of those schools are worth sticker.


I'd retake the LSAT or consider options other than law. You may not like this response, but I give it honestly as a 3L at a top 6 school with lots of friends above median, some top quarter, still looking for work.

If you're going to disregard the previous paragraph, at least go somewhere cheaply, preferably in an area that doesn't have tons of other law schools.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:07 pm

OP: What are your numbers ?

The best generic advice is don't attend any law school outside of the Top 17 unless on scholarship or paying in-state tuition at a low cost public law school. Inherent in this advice is the recommendation to retake the LSAT until you earn a scholarship at a non-Top-17 or get admitted to your state's public law school.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby Br3v » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:12 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: What are your numbers ?

The best generic advice is don't attend any law school outside of the Top 17 unless on scholarship or paying in-state tuition at a low cost public law school. Inherent in this advice is the recommendation to retake the LSAT until you earn a scholarship at a non-Top-17 or get admitted to your state's public law school.


+1
Are you content owning your own small practice? If so, I guess if you could graduate with no debt...........

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:14 pm

WVUUG2012 wrote: "just dont go" or "you are better off killing yourself"

User avatar
WVUUG2012
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby WVUUG2012 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:51 pm

3.1/153. i took the lsat blind without any studying so i could easily improve my score need be. does it matter that my father is an executive a major corp that can get me in the door? he said a degree is a degree and if i have one there is a job for me. thanks for the help

ryemanhattan
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby ryemanhattan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:01 pm

WVUUG2012 wrote:3.1/153. i took the lsat blind without any studying so i could easily improve my score need be. does it matter that my father is an executive a major corp that can get me in the door? he said a degree is a degree and if i have one there is a job for me. thanks for the help



Yes, if you have a job waiting for you, a degree is just a hurdle you need to get over. And with your gpa, you aren't likely to get much of a scholarship anywhere, so retaking, if you dont care where you are going, is pointless.

If you want other options in life, aside from the job you'll be handed, you may want to reconsider, but in this economy I would say screw it and roll with the nepotism.

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby zanda » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:33 pm

ryemanhattan wrote:
WVUUG2012 wrote:3.1/153. i took the lsat blind without any studying so i could easily improve my score need be. does it matter that my father is an executive a major corp that can get me in the door? he said a degree is a degree and if i have one there is a job for me. thanks for the help



Yes, if you have a job waiting for you, a degree is just a hurdle you need to get over. And with your gpa, you aren't likely to get much of a scholarship anywhere, so retaking, if you dont care where you are going, is pointless.

If you want other options in life, aside from the job you'll be handed, you may want to reconsider, but in this economy I would say screw it and roll with the nepotism.

I disagree with the bolded. A high 160 (or better... very possible given a 153 blind) would drastically improve the schools OP gets into and the schools likely to give OP money. I generally agree with you though that if he really has a job guaranteed it's not a huge deal where he goes, but figured I'd post my disagreement in case there are folks with similar numbers, but with non-powerful parents, who are reading this.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Getting in the door for a courtesy interview is not the same as a guaranteed job in a major corporation's law dept.

Retake the LSAT & restrict your law applications to Tier One & select Tier Two law schools which are in your geographic preference region.

User avatar
zanda
Posts: 526
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby zanda » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:48 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Getting in the door for a courtesy interview is not the same as a guaranteed job in a major corporation's law dept.

Retake the LSAT & restrict your law applications to Tier One & select Tier Two law schools which are in your geographic preference region.

Yeah, it depends on what he meant by "get me in the door" and "there is a job for me." Based on the latter I assumed he was getting more than just an interview, but that could be wrong.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:54 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
WVUUG2012 wrote: "just dont go" or "you are better off killing yourself"

As soon as I read the OP, this is what I wanted to do. Don't go to FL Coastal, ever, and don't pay anywhere near sticker for those other schools.

yeff
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby yeff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:02 pm

WVUUG2012 wrote:i took the lsat blind without any studying


Study, then retake.

:roll:

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Any "major corporation" likely to survive for at least three more years will have a strict policy against nepotism.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:55 am

None of the above. You are committing financial/career suicide either way. Absent a T10 or a big scholarship, you are making a terrible investment. It's a simple numbers game.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:35 am

Why can't your parents pay for law school?

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:15 am

I think there is a little too much reactionary discussion here most of the time. Generally, the schools you mentioned aren't great, but a legal education is a legal education and if you have a plan, you have a plan.

For instance, A friend of mine makes 300K plus a year working on DUI cases almost exclusively. He worked for a long time to cultivate relationships with police officers and bar owners for their referrals, and went to a school with a strong name locally. I'm sure he was still lucky/more charismatic than you can honestly count on being, but it was his plan from the start and it has worked. It doesn't hurt that he was able to live with his parents while he set up his practice, or that his mom and dad would pay his rent when he couldn't on the office, or that he trained a paralegal from the ground.

To be honest, the worse the school, the harder you make it for yourself. It isn't that its impossible, or that you can't do that, but it makes it that much harder. Add in that people almost always over estimate their own abilities and you are left with:

TLS Answer One: Retake

nsbane
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby nsbane » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 am

WVUUG2012 wrote:3.1/153. i took the lsat blind without any studying so i could easily improve my score need be. does it matter that my father is an executive a major corp that can get me in the door? he said a degree is a degree and if i have one there is a job for me. thanks for the help


if you have a dad who can get you a job, why are you going to law school?

sparty99
Posts: 1433
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Scholly vs higher ranking

Postby sparty99 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:46 am

WVUUG2012 wrote:the other schools i have applied to are hostra cuny nyls syracuse penn st mich st and depaul. I would love to live in nyc or chi but i know that can be very expensive (grew up in chicago). i would have to maintain a 2.8 gpa at coastal to keep my scholly 2L. 30 grand a year in scholarship $ is hard to turn down but id much rather attend school elsewhere


All these law schools suck, unless Syracuse, PSU, MSU, or DePaul gives you a full-ride scholarship with no gpa stipulations. But even still, you would have to do extremely well to be competitive for jobs.

You need to retake. Why would you not even study for the LSAT?! Parents know nothing about law school. They think a law degree is prestigous and it will make you more "marketable." A degree isn't just a degree.

Also, if your dad can get you a job, why are you going to law school?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest