When to Withdraw an App

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
redtiger

When to Withdraw an App

Postby redtiger » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Good afternoon. This may be answered elsewhere, and if so I apologize, but I was wondering when to start turning down schools. As a splitter I over-applied to cover my bases and now have a few acceptances that I really don't see myself attending. I haven't heard from them regarding scholarships and have a 1/3 of tuition scholarship offer from a much more highly ranked school. I'd like to withdraw so they can pull people off the waitlist, but I don't want to if there is some reason to keep my application open. Thanks.

ben4847

Re: When to Withdraw an App

Postby ben4847 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:36 pm

redtiger wrote:Good afternoon. This may be answered elsewhere, and if so I apologize, but I was wondering when to start turning down schools. As a splitter I over-applied to cover my bases and now have a few acceptances that I really don't see myself attending. I haven't heard from them regarding scholarships and have a 1/3 of tuition scholarship offer from a much more highly ranked school. I'd like to withdraw so they can pull people off the waitlist, but I don't want to if there is some reason to keep my application open. Thanks.

There is a reason to.
You should email the lower schools, and tell them you have 1/3 scholarship from the higher one. See if they will give you full. If they do, then you go back to the better school and say you really want to come but the financial difference is too large. Then, they might give you more money.

You only withdraw from a school when you have full scholarship from a much better school (since you can still play the game playing regions against each other. For example, Gtown will do business when you have money from GW, even though they might not be as impressed if you have money from WUSTL.)

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:37 pm

On this same note, will a short email to the admissions office asking to be withdrawn with our LSAC number suffice?

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:46 pm

mrtoren wrote:On this same note, will a short email to the admissions office asking to be withdrawn with our LSAC number suffice?

yes.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:08 am

I'm actually curious as to how people have withdrawn in the past. I have a couple of admission letters that have the option of turning down the offer, but what is the general rule for withdrawing.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:58 am

cutecarmel wrote:I'm actually curious as to how people have withdrawn in the past. I have a couple of admission letters that have the option of turning down the offer, but what is the general rule for withdrawing.

Dear Cooley Admissions Officer,

Please withdraw my application. My LSAC number is 66666666.

Thank you,
TLS-er

Return to “Choosing a Law School”