Struggling with a Decision

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LawStudent89

Struggling with a Decision

Postby LawStudent89 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:08 pm

I recently received acceptance to SUNY UB with a scholly. I am a New York Resident and I have the money to pay for school without any debt. If I am not going to any t14 schools, should I disregard any other school because of the chance of being debt-free?

Thanks for the help.

ben4847

Re: Struggling with a Decision

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Why don't you give us your numbers. I don't know what in state tuition there is, but if it is about 25k, there are likely much better schools you can attend on partial scholarship and pay 25k

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:13 pm

SUNY UB is a decent choice if you have abandoned all desire to work in NYC. However, like the poster above said, we need your numbers to give you better advice. In my opinion, unless you're cracking Dozo or Fordham, its probably a good idea to head upstate or look outside of NY.

LawStudent89

Postby LawStudent89 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Sorry for the lack of information. I have a 160 and 3.43 gpa. I have been accepted to UCONN and Miami so far. Waiting to hear back from cardozo, brooklyn, richmond, american, FSU, Uni of Florida, William and Mary, and George Mason.

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:27 pm

I have similar numbers and have applied to some of the same schools. Although I have not gotten any decisions yet I feel as if i may be in a similar position between choosing to accept a scholly at a school such as UB or pay sticker at somewhere better ranked. I am interested to see what other offers you get and would like to contribute when i start hearing back.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:33 pm

MellowMantis wrote:I have similar numbers and have applied to some of the same schools. Although I have not gotten any decisions yet I feel as if i may be in a similar position between choosing to accept a scholly at a school such as UB or pay sticker at somewhere better ranked. I am interested to see what other offers you get and would like to contribute when i start hearing back.

You should not go to law school as you probably are destined for failure given your memorably low UGPA and LSAT.

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:38 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:
MellowMantis wrote:I have similar numbers and have applied to some of the same schools. Although I have not gotten any decisions yet I feel as if i may be in a similar position between choosing to accept a scholly at a school such as UB or pay sticker at somewhere better ranked. I am interested to see what other offers you get and would like to contribute when i start hearing back.

You should not go to law school as you probably are destined for failure given your memorably low UGPA and LSAT.

glasshouse

LawStudent89

Postby LawStudent89 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:56 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:

Sorry, that didn't answer my original question. Thanks though!

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:08 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:

You're the 3rd worst poster on TLS.

Anyway, you should probably just go to SUNY if you're fine with working in west NY. In-State is pretty cheap IIRC.
Cardozo/Brooklyn/Miami are all going to be too expensive for what they offer.
The only other schools I'd consider are FSU/UF (if you really want to work in FL), maybe William and Mary.

nys

Postby nys » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 pm

As a fellow nys resident that applied to UB, I would vouch for going there given your situation. The other schools you are applying to will most likely saddle you with significantly more debt, and probably will not give you better career prospects. If you want to work in WNY, UB with very little or no debt is a pretty good option.

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:49 pm

NYC Law wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:

Anyway, you should probably just go to SUNY if you're fine with working in west NY. In-State is pretty cheap IIRC.
The only other schools I'd consider are FSU/UF (if you really want to work in FL), maybe William and Mary.

Who is the third worst poster? myself or the disgruntled troll? And I am actually enthused with my lsat which was nearly 20 points higher than my initial diagnostic so along with my A undergrad GPA I'm in pretty damn good standing WSJ. Your negativity is not only unappreciated but honestly pathetic. I was simply trying to relate to the OP and hope that in the near future I can offer some advice as I am in a very similar position. I'm sorry that this has gotten off course from the OP's intent.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:57 pm

MellowMantis wrote:Who is the third worst poster? myself or the disgruntled troll?

I was addressing WSJ

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:00 pm

NYC Law wrote:
MellowMantis wrote:Who is the third worst poster? myself or the disgruntled troll?

I was addressing WSJ

OP, if you don't mind, is it a full scholly? If so I think that I'd say I would be inclined to take a full scholly at UB over sticker somewhere else which is hopefully a scenario I will soon be in, though I don't think I would even land in T14.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:54 pm

NYC Law wrote:

I was addressing WSJ

You sound mad, though. Why?

LawStudent89

Postby LawStudent89 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:33 am

NYC Law wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:

Thank you very much for the advice.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:54 pm

NYC Law wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:

Agree tyft

MellowMantis

Postby MellowMantis » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:18 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

I was addressing WSJ

Flappy Scribbleneck

Postby Flappy Scribbleneck » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:49 pm

NYC Law wrote:You're the 3rd worst poster on TLS.

I can guess 1 and 2. Who are 4 and 5 in your opinion?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”