NYU and then moving back to Texas?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Shootingforthe179

NYU and then moving back to Texas?

Postby Shootingforthe179 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:15 pm

I was wondering what you guys thought about going to NYU and then trying to get a job in Texas? (where I have lived my whole life) NYU is ranked 6th but I always hear that it just feeds into NYC and is not that great nationally? (self-selection?)

Also, is it weird that I got into NYU and Cornell but nothing in between the two, so far? Applied in October.

Thanks guys,
S

YourCaptain

Re: NYU and then moving back to Texas?

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:20 pm

unless im incorrect this is what stanford4me did. you might want to ask him but i believe it's definitely doable

Shootingforthe179

Postby Shootingforthe179 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:58 pm

bump hehe

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:01 pm

If you've lived in Texas your whole life and want to practice there, why not go for UT in-state?

Shootingforthe179

Postby Shootingforthe179 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:26 pm

I have not gotten into UT, yet?!?! And, I thought it might be beneficial to go to a top-6 and then go back to Texas. Meaning, when they are hiring they will have a bunch of Texas students from Texas but perhaps a NYU student form Texas would stand out. Better school and no flight risk.

Also UT's instate is not that great. And I would love to live in Manhattan once before I die :shock:

Everything else being equal, do you think a firm would take a NYU student from Texas over a Texas student from Texas?

Shootingforthe179

Postby Shootingforthe179 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:29 pm

Also, I am not set on Texas. I just want to maximize my chance at a job. And I imagine with Texas you pretty much stay in Texas. But with NYU I have a great shot nationally?!? and still a great shot in Texas considering I'm a native.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Go to Texas BigLaw firm websites and search associates by law school, selecting NYU. Then look for more recent associates (class of 2008-2011) to see how many associates are from NYU. Also look for academic honors (order of the coif or things like that). Then compare to other schools you're considering. Should give you a better idea about prospects of heading back to Texas.

PreLawInTexas

Postby PreLawInTexas » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:58 pm

Shootingforthe179 wrote:Also, I am not set on Texas. I just want to maximize my chance at a job. And I imagine with Texas you pretty much stay in Texas. But with NYU I have a great shot nationally?!? and still a great shot in Texas considering I'm a native.

Hey man, just check UT-Austin's career numbers on lawschoolnumbers and you'll be happy to see that you've got plenty of national options as a Longhorn Law Alum. Good luck, and keep us updated; I love the New York/Texas dichotomy.

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:35 am

I imagine when your resume comes across the firm's desk, everything will check out, until someone says out loud, "hey this guy is from New York city." "NEW YORK CITY???"

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:53 am

You won't have a problem doing this. You have connections to TX and it isn't the most insular market out there. Whether its better than UT in-state is another question. I would probably lean toward no, but I don't think the answer is obvious. Living in Manhattan is awesome, so getting that experience for three years is definitely worth something.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:33 am

This is totally anecdotal, but people in Texas biglaw have told me that there's a bit of an overrepresentation problem with UT in Texas, that it's hard to stand out as a UT grad and that firms like other T14 recruits to liven things up a little.

That being said, UT pretty much totally dominates midlaw in Texas, so it might be safer in that regard.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:37 am

Nobody wrote:This is totally anecdotal, but people in Texas biglaw have told me that there's a bit of an overrepresentation problem with UT in Texas, that it's hard to stand out as a UT grad and that firms like other T14 recruits to liven things up a little.

That being said, UT pretty much totally dominates midlaw in Texas, so it might be safer in that regard.

I've heard this too. Also, Haynes and Boone has a program specifically designed to try and lure talent from T14s to Texas. It's a 1 week program during 1L summer that usually turns into offers for a 2L SA. While it's not like you can just walk in and get one of these positions, I think the fact that Haynes and Boone has this program suggests that at least some Texas firms are wanting to reach out beyond UT more and they're trying to find better ways to do that.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:11 am

I think it depends on what you want. If you want the best of the Texas (H&B, FJ, Bickel, etc.), then NYU is probably the safer bet. If you want to hedge your bets some, UT (no need to say Austin) will still give you plenty of chances (probably almost as good as NYU) at those firms while also giving you a shot at the more boutique high-end Texas firms.

If you're dead-set on Texas, I'd go with UT because they have more Texas firms there.

Shootingforthe179

Postby Shootingforthe179 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:39 am

Any advice towards the second part of my question?
Is it weird that I got into NYU and received an opportunity a the Dean's Scholarship for Cornell but I did not get accepted anywhere else yet?

Also, I have not been accepted into Texas so some of this discussion is premature.

Mainly, I want to have the best possibly chance at a great job (taking advantage of the fact that I am from Texas) and the two schools I have gotten into so far seem to have a reputation of being northeast regional.

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:07 am

Dude. Wait before the cycle is over and you hear from all the schools before you think whether or not it's "weird" that you haven't been accepted to anywhere else. They have, like, 3 months more to tell you.

Shootingforthe179

Postby Shootingforthe179 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:40 pm

True dat.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:46 pm

OP I think the best thing to do to answer your question is to find someone from NYU who has a list of the average GPAS of students hired by the big Texas firms. If you see average GPAs of 3.3 or higher and UT offers you a lot more money than NYU, I would lean towards UT. If you see mean GPAs below a 3.3 then I would lean towards NYU.

YourCaptain wrote:unless im incorrect this is what stanford4me did. you might want to ask him but i believe it's definitely doable

Does Stanford4me go to Stanford? If so that's a totally different situation than the OP's (NYU).

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:53 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:unless im incorrect this is what stanford4me did. you might want to ask him but i believe it's definitely doable

Does Stanford4me go to Stanford? If so that's a totally different situation than the OP's (NYU).

no he goes to nyu i believe. i think the earlier comment about nyu w/ texas ties > ut is pretty credited. distinguishing yourself is important come oci.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:17 pm

I think some of you aren't taking into account just how much Texas firms are all "RAWR! TEXAS! FUCK YEAH!"

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:15 pm

If you ask me, UT with money > NYU at sticker > UT at sticker (even in-state) >>>>>>>> Cornell.

But it's close.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:16 pm

kalvano wrote:I think it depends on what you want. If you want the best of the Texas (H&B, FJ, Bickel, etc.), then NYU is probably the safer bet. If you want to hedge your bets some, UT (no need to say Austin) will still give you plenty of chances (probably almost as good as NYU) at those firms while also giving you a shot at the more boutique high-end Texas firms.

If you're dead-set on Texas, I'd go with UT because they have more Texas firms there.

For Bickel Brewer, NYU is DEFINITELY the better bet. Brewer went to NYU for an LLM and donated a lot of money there...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:15 am

I forge that B&B has a NYC office...but working for them makes it harder to jump ship later on if you want to, and they're brutal.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:22 am

kalvano wrote:I think it depends on what you want. If you want the best of the Texas (H&B, FJ, Bickel, etc.), then NYU is probably the safer bet. If you want to hedge your bets some, UT (no need to say Austin) will still give you plenty of chances (probably almost as good as NYU) at those firms while also giving you a shot at the more boutique high-end Texas firms.

Haynes & Boone and Fulbright & Jaworski are the "best of Texas" but you don't mention V&E or Baker Botts?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:28 am

I'm not going to list off every major firm in Texas. Hence the "etc" part.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”