Why are part-time programs easier to get into? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Donnis

New

Why are part-time programs easier to get into?

Post by Donnis » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Graduated in June 2011, currently working for solo practitioner that does mostly PI. He gets about 10 new cases a month, and in my 3 months of being there, has settled over 1mill in cases. He is overwhelmed with the amount of cases and has already expressed interest in hiring me after law school.

I was interested in part-time, as I could continue to work at the firm I work for now and also my UGPA is not spectacular and it seems like part-time would offer me a better chance to get to the school I want.

bk1

Diamond

Re: Why are part-time programs easier to get into?

Post by bk1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Less demand.

Donnis

New

Post by Donnis » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:14 pm

bk187 wrote:Less demand.
Is one extra year that much of a difference? Obviously one more year until you get a job and start practicing but for someone like me who is borderline, it's a wise decision, correct?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:22 pm

US News is calculating PT law students' numbers as though they were FT now, so it's quite possible that there's not as much of a boost as there used to be.

For instance:
http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,8&type=jd

Small sample size, but this doesn't look that surprising by full time standards for GULC.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:26 pm

There are many reasons people choose a PT program. Where I'm in school, the top two reasons are 1) working students who need a PT/evening option, and 2) Students who were not accepted into the FT/day program and who plan to transfer, after the 1st year.

In recent years, the top PT programs have begun to tighten up their medians, bringing them increasingly into parity with the FT programs (this is in large part due to changes in the way USNWR ranks the schools with PT programs). In the past few years, both Fordham and GULC (2 of the best PT programs in the country) have reduced the size of their PT class by 50% and increased the GPA and LSAT medians.

If what you are looking for is a way to attend law school while still holding down your day job, then a PT program could work well for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jante05

New

Post by Jante05 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:35 am

nygrrrl wrote:There are many reasons people choose a PT program. Where I'm in school, the top two reasons are 1) working students who need a PT/evening option, and 2) Students who were not accepted into the FT/day program and who plan to transfer, after the 1st year.

In recent years, the top PT programs have begun to tighten up their medians, bringing them increasingly into parity with the FT programs (this is in large part due to changes in the way USNWR ranks the schools with PT programs). In the past few years, both Fordham and GULC (2 of the best PT programs in the country) have reduced the size of their PT class by 50% and increased the GPA and LSAT medians.

If what you are looking for is a way to attend law school while still holding down your day job, then a PT program could work well for you.
thanks @ nygrrrl, for some of us who may decide to go w/ pt program because of work, how many hours max should we work?

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:46 am

Gee, I'd like to go solo and settle a million every 3 months.

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Jante05 wrote:thanks @ nygrrrl, for some of us who may decide to go w/ pt program because of work, how many hours max should we work?
I guess it depends on what you can handle. I have friends who are working 20 hrs/wk and feeling stressed and friends who are holding down 40 hrs/wk and doing well. Personally, I work about 30 hrs/wk but I have a couple of kids, so I think that adds another 10! I'm currently applying for an RA gig that would take 8-10 hrs; I think that's just barely manageable because my course load for the semester is on the light side.
(As far as I know, there are no PT programs that restrict the number of hours you can work outside of school but anything over 40 would, I think, be difficult.)

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:45 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
Jante05 wrote:thanks @ nygrrrl, for some of us who may decide to go w/ pt program because of work, how many hours max should we work?
I guess it depends on what you can handle. I have friends who are working 20 hrs/wk and feeling stressed and friends who are holding down 40 hrs/wk and doing well. Personally, I work about 30 hrs/wk but I have a couple of kids, so I think that adds another 10! I'm currently applying for an RA gig that would take 8-10 hrs; I think that's just barely manageable because my course load for the semester is on the light side.
(As far as I know, there are no PT programs that restrict the number of hours you can work outside of school but anything over 40 would, I think, be difficult.)
+1.

You know your personality best. If you are a grinder and can get by on less than ideal amounts of sleep, 40 hours a week can be managed. If you are somebody that values down time and needs rest and recovery, I would suggest limiting work to about 25 hours a week. The difference of 15 hours doesn't sound much, but, in a PT program, every hour makes a difference.

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:53 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
ITT we discover nygrrrl does more on a tuesday morning than some of us do in a month. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”