Please help me decide btwn W&L, UF, American, Northeastern

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go

Washington and Lee
32%
Florida
46%
American
18%
Northeastern
4%

Total votes: 28

ricky340

Please help me decide btwn W&L, UF, American, Northeastern

Postby ricky340 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:29 pm

So i'm stuck between a rock and hard place. I do live in Florida and attended Florida as an Undergrad but feel its time to change. I love the DC area but it's to pricey and I know I will not be able to afford it. Any insight will definitely help...thank you!

MrAnon

Re: Please help me decide btwn W&L, UF, American, Northeastern

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:38 pm

I always give the same answer in these threads. You don't uproot yourself for these kinds of schools. American is not some gateway into DC. Northeastern is not some gateway into Boston. W&L is not a gateway to anywhere. These are not destination schools. Yale? Sure, move immediately. NYU? Pack your things, you are moving to New York. 10 to 20 years ago it would be unheard of to move from Florida to attend American, Northeastern or W&L. That's why older attorneys want to see ties. They can't fathom why you'd move to attend these schools. Seems like a strange way to live your life.

Stay in Florida. You know the place, and if things don't work out in law school, at least you are home. If things work out absolutely amazingly then you can still go to DC or Boston after law school is over. Trust me, it won't be any easier or harder than having had gone to American or Northeastern.

ricky340

Postby ricky340 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:01 am

MrAnon wrote:I always give the same answer in these threads. You don't uproot yourself for these kinds of schools. American is not some gateway into DC. Northeastern is not some gateway into Boston. W&L is not a gateway to anywhere. These are not destination schools. Yale? Sure, move immediately. NYU? Pack your things, you are moving to New York. 10 to 20 years ago it would be unheard of to move from Florida to attend American, Northeastern or W&L. That's why older attorneys want to see ties. They can't fathom why you'd move to attend these schools. Seems like a strange way to live your life.

Stay in Florida. You know the place, and if things don't work out in law school, at least you are home. If things work out absolutely amazingly then you can still go to DC or Boston after law school is over. Trust me, it won't be any easier or harder than having had gone to American or Northeastern.

I've honestly never thought about it this way. Florida definitely would be a safe option...

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:07 am

Also, with instate tuition, wouldn't UF be the cheapest?

ricky340

Postby ricky340 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:20 am

cinephile wrote:Also, with instate tuition, wouldn't UF be the cheapest?

Yup, I qualify for instate tuition. But I just don't know if going to the other schools is worth the risk and price when it comes to employment opportunities and salary. UF has lately had issues when it comes to employment opportunities after graduation.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:25 am

ricky340 wrote:

Yup, I qualify for instate tuition. But I just don't know if going to the other schools is worth the risk and price when it comes to employment opportunities and salary. UF has lately had issues when it comes to employment opportunities after graduation.

huh? Either this is flame or your ability to understand the situation you are getting yourself into is very weak. I'll try to make this as clear as possible:

The job situation at American is equal or worse compared to UF.
The job situation at W&L is equal or worse compared to UF.
The job situation at Northeastern is equal or worse compared to UF.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:28 am

ricky340 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, someone, but the Florida legal market is pretty insular. Yeah, individuals who do well at T-14 may pursue something there if they have ties to the area, but the legal world in florida is a secondary market with some very specific fields (sports law mostly on the business side, and then obvious municipal courts type DA and criminal defense firms, right?)

One of the guys that wrote an LOR from me graduated from UF. He stopped working after making $100 mil. He said time and time again that he went into court with attorneys from the ivy leagues every day, and smoked them in the court room. They walked out losers and he walked out with a fat pay check and a happy client. If you want to stay in florida, UF will serve you well. Now, he fishes off the coast about 19 hours a day. I don't know that he ever leaves his boat. I am pretty sure he faxed my LOR from his boat... but yeah, great guy. If you go to UF, I would offer you his contact information down the road. As well, if you are going to try and stay in Florida for school, depending on what your current situation is, find a firm and try and intern there or something. Make your connections now, because coming from a regional school your connections with make an extreme difference. Assuming you are not completely socially inept.

I assume you tried to get into UMiami? If sportslaw is your thing, I have heard they do well or that.

ricky340

Postby ricky340 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:38 am

EMZE wrote:
ricky340 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, someone, but the Florida legal market is pretty insular. Yeah, individuals who do well at T-14 may pursue something there if they have ties to the area, but the legal world in florida is a secondary market with some very specific fields (sports law mostly on the business side, and then obvious municipal courts type DA and criminal defense firms, right?)

One of the guys that wrote an LOR from me graduated from UF. He stopped working after making $100 mil. He said time and time again that he went into court with attorneys from the ivy leagues every day, and smoked them in the court room. They walked out losers and he walked out with a fat pay check and a happy client. If you want to stay in florida, UF will serve you well. Now, he fishes off the coast about 19 hours a day. I don't know that he ever leaves his boat. I am pretty sure he faxed my LOR from his boat... but yeah, great guy. If you go to UF, I would offer you his contact information down the road.

I assume you tried to get into UMiami? If sportslaw is your thing, I have heard they do well or that.

This is great news, I appreciate this. I'm currently visiting UF again this time in the eyes of a possible law student and I feel different towards it. As in it's not truly welcoming...I don't feel a "spark" or anything. In regards to applying to UMiami I most certainly did but haven't heard from them yet.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:46 am

ricky340 wrote:
EMZE wrote:
ricky340 wrote:

One of the guys that wrote an LOR from me graduated from UF. He stopped working after making $100 mil. He said time and time again that he went into court with attorneys from the ivy leagues every day, and smoked them in the court room. They walked out losers and he walked out with a fat pay check and a happy client. If you want to stay in florida, UF will serve you well. Now, he fishes off the coast about 19 hours a day. I don't know that he ever leaves his boat. I am pretty sure he faxed my LOR from his boat... but yeah, great guy. If you go to UF, I would offer you his contact information down the road.

This is great news, I appreciate this. I'm currently visiting UF again this time in the eyes of a possible law student and I feel different towards it. As in it's not truly welcoming...I don't feel a "spark" or anything. In regards to applying to UMiami I most certainly did but haven't heard from them yet.

I haven't visited any schools yet so I cannot really relate to that spark/connection. I do know, however, that were it not for the humidity, I would love to be going to a law school where I could spent my days studying in a veritable paradise, on the beach or on a boat, fishing on weekends. Your from FL, so I am sure you know all of the perks that come along with going to a school near a populate vacation spot. Heck, if only it had anything but the most abysmal job prospects, I would love to go to Uhawaii. My wife went there as part of a prestigious scholarship/fellowship program, and her spare time was spent enjoying paradise.

It would concern me if a school did not make me feel welcoming, but at the end of the day that really can be no more than a person to person connection. Find some students an get their feedback. If Florida is for you, and you can handle the debt and hopefully negotiate some form of scholarship, you would be makng a sound decision.

ricky340

Postby ricky340 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:05 am

This is great news, I appreciate this. I'm currently visiting UF again this time in the eyes of a possible law student and I feel different towards it. As in it's not truly welcoming...I don't feel a "spark" or anything. In regards to applying to UMiami I most certainly did but haven't heard from them yet.[/quote]

I haven't visited any schools yet so I cannot really relate to that spark/connection. I do know, however, that were it not for the humidity, I would love to be going to a law school where I could spent my days studying in a veritable paradise, on the beach or on a boat, fishing on weekends. Your from FL, so I am sure you know all of the perks that come along with going to a school near a populate vacation spot. Heck, if only it had anything but the most abysmal job prospects, I would love to go to Uhawaii. My wife went there as part o
f a prestigious scholarship/fellowship program, and her spare time was spent enjoying paradise.

It would concern me if a school did not make me feel welcoming, but at the end of the day that really can be no more than a person to person connection. Find some students an get their feedback. If Florida is for you, and you can handle the debt and hopefully negotiate some form of scholarship, you would be makng a sound decision.

Thank you so much! So the conclusion from everyone here is to basically stay in Florida.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”