is GULC really that much bigger?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
swtlilsoni

is GULC really that much bigger?

Postby swtlilsoni » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 am

I went to a large public university and had a miserable time. It was hard for me to form connections with people because it was so huge. I wish I went to a small liberal arts college where everyone knows each other. For law school I want to make sure I go to a school with a smaller class size and a tighter knit community.

Everyone says that Georgetown has a huge class size so its impersonal, and UVA would have more of a community feel. However UVA has a class size of around 350 while GULC has a class size of around 600. Does 250 students really make that big of a difference? My large undergraduate university had a class size of 5000. That's huge. I feel like whether it's 300 or 600 it's going to be a small community regardless and 200 people here or there won't make a difference compared to 5000.

So for those of you that go to GULC.....is 600 people really that big? Does it really take away from the community feel? How is the student life there, is it a close community or does everyone do their own thing? I don't want to go to a school where everyone just has their own life and does their own thing.

bk1

Re: is GULC really that much bigger?

Postby bk1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:42 am

Law schools divide the incoming class into sections so you aren't really hanging out with all the other 1L's anyways. Basically the school could have 3 or 30 other sections and it probably wouldn't make a difference to most people since their social circle is likely dominated by people exclusively from their section.

swtlilsoni

Postby swtlilsoni » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:52 am

bk1 wrote:Law schools divide the incoming class into sections so you aren't really hanging out with all the other 1L's anyways. Basically the school could have 3 or 30 other sections and it probably wouldn't make a difference to most people since their social circle is likely dominated by people exclusively from their section.

so you're saying that if the section sizes at UVA and GULC are the same, it wouldn't make a difference? Then why do people always classify GULC as large and impersonal? Also, even if section sizes are the same, wouldn't the general class size make a difference when it comes to familiarity? For example, if the amount of students is lower, you'll be sharing a campus with less students so you would see more familiar faces all the time. If you meet people in other sections, you'll see them around a lot. However if the amount of students is huge, you will be sharing a campus with many many students so when you're walking around campus you'll be in a sea of strangers.

Postby 071816 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:57 am

600? Holy fuck. I had no idea their class size was so huge.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:57 am

swtlilsoni wrote:
bk1 wrote:Law schools divide the incoming class into sections so you aren't really hanging out with all the other 1L's anyways. Basically the school could have 3 or 30 other sections and it probably wouldn't make a difference to most people since their social circle is likely dominated by people exclusively from their section.

so you're saying that if the section sizes at UVA and GULC are the same, it wouldn't make a difference? Then why do people always classify GULC as large and impersonal? Also, even if section sizes are the same, wouldn't the general class size make a difference when it comes to familiarity? For example, if the amount of students is lower, you'll be sharing a campus with less students so you would see more familiar faces all the time. If you meet people in other sections, you'll see them around a lot. However if the amount of students is huge, you will be sharing a campus with many many students so when you're walking around campus you'll be in a sea of strangers.

I have no idea whether the section sizes are the same (Google search says GULC has 5 full time sections and 1 part time section). I mean the school will of course be noticeably bigger but the fact that you have a core of sectionmates who you take every class with your first year means that any fear about 500+ being too many is overblown. Having all the same people in your classes means that you will be spending a lot of time with them and likely will gravitate towards them even when you're not in class. You're not going to be in a sea of strangers.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:02 am

The real answer to this would be: the reason to pick UVA over GULC is that the job prospects are better.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:28 am

600 and 350 are both huge.

I see a lot of people make the claim that your social circle will be mostly your section-mates, and I have not found that to be the situation at all, which may be a function of how tiny my school is (<200 1Ls, section size of 30 people).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”