Notre Dame or William and Mary Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ArmyOfficer

New

Notre Dame or William and Mary

Post by ArmyOfficer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Will be attending through the Army Funded Legal Education Program so cost or job placement is not an issue. Simply want to go to the best school. Which one do you think is best?

Gold

Re: Notre Dame or William and Mary

Post by 005618502 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:02 pm

They are really the same. Notre Dame will be way more fun, go there

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:35 pm

As a proud Irishman, I must vote Notre Dame.

ganggreen

Bronze

Post by ganggreen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:13 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:They are really the same. Notre Dame will be way more fun, go there
Sure, if your definition of "fun" is being stuck in South Bend, Indiana for 3 years.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:10 am

ganggreen wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:They are really the same. Notre Dame will be way more fun, go there
Sure, if your definition of "fun" is being stuck in South Bend, Indiana for 3 years.
as opposed to Williamsburg? ND all the way. Plus, if you're worried about a metro for social escape, Chi-town is like 80 minutes away. yeah, i called it Chi-town

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mattviphky

Silver

ganggreen wrote:
as opposed to Williamsburg? ND all the way. Plus, if you're worried about a metro for social escape, Chi-town is like 80 minutes away. yeah, i called it Chi-town

mattviphky

Silver

ganggreen wrote:

btw384

Bronze

Post by btw384 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:28 am

mattviphky wrote:
ganggreen wrote:
+3

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:40 am

2L at W&M. There's a good number of FLEP students at William & Mary. In my class there are (I believe) five and there are similar numbers in the 3L and 1L class. One of our professors is a former big-wig in JAG and helped write (literally) the rules of evidence for military justice; he puts a lot of work into making military students feel at home. We are also right next door to Ft. Eustis, so a lot of the FLEP students end up in Williamsburg for the summer and commuting the 15 minutes to Eustis for their summer work. (That could be a pro or a con for you.)

On Notre Dame v. W&M, I think it's a bit of a wash. Notre Dame has a bigger reach for employment because of stronger national network, but I don't know that those matter for you because of guaranteed job. W&M's law review is a little more highly regarded than Notre Dame's, but again, it's probably so marginal that it won't matter.

My personal recommendation is that you make the decision based on other factors because it will be hard to distinguish between them in terms of academic reputation. Both are solid schools that lack the prestige of the traditional powerhouses. If you're interested, PM me and I'll see if I can convince one of the FLEPs from my class to talk to you about his or her experience here. Maybe a Notre Dame student can make a similar offer.

EDIT: And to actually answer your question, I think that if I had to choose which has a better academic reputation, I'd go with William & Mary as a result of East Coast bias. (East Coast Bias. It's everywhere you want to be.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”